1160 users online (255 members and 905 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    2luvmy is offline RIP Ragdoll. You don't get to choose how you're going to die, or when. You can only decide how you're going to live now.

MD - Maryland Woman With 184 Dead Cats Admits Neglect

I wasn't sure where to put this:

FREDERICK, Md. A woman who was found living with more than 300 mostly dead cats pleaded guilty to 46 misdemeanor counts of neglect Tuesday, abruptly ending her trial on animal cruelty charges.

Patricia K. Nicholson, 51, of rural Mount Airy, entered the Alford plea after a lunch break following about 2 1/2 hours of testimony in Frederick County District Court. In an Alford plea, a defendant doesn't admit guilt but acknowledges the state has enough evidence to produce a guilty verdict.

Judge O. John Cejka, who presided at the bench trial, set sentencing for Nov. 29. Nicholson faces a maximum penalty of 11 years and four months behind bars plus a $46,000 fine, but Assistant State's Attorney Kirsten Brown said the state wouldn't object to a suspended jail sentence and three years of supervised probation, provided Nicholson gets psychiatric treatment and doesn't acquire or care for more animals.

Nicholson was found living in a house with 184 dead cats and 119 live ones, of which 46 had to be euthanized, according to court records and trial testimony. In return for her guilty plea to failing to provide adequate food, shelter and air to the 46 cats that were put down, prosecutors dropped 76 other counts of that offense and 122 misdemeanor counts of inflicting unnecessary pain and suffering.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,216028,00.html

UN-BE-LIEVABLE! I love cats and to think of the suffering those poor kitties must have gone through. I'm sure she started out thinking that she was rescuing them by giving them a home and then things became unmanageable.

People---nueter your pets!!

How can you hang out with dead cats? *shudder*
    FUN... is a renewable resource!

2luvmy is offline RIP Ragdoll. You don't get to choose how you're going to die, or when. You can only decide how you're going to live now.
    They were even in her bed!!!

Why did I read this story? I feel so sick now.

Obviously this woman had no friends or family who stopped by to visit her.

OMG, I didn't finish reading the story. I didn't see that she had some in her refrigerator! Boxes of dead cats labeled with their names and the date they died!

I've been trying to lose weight and I should have read that right BEFORE lunch and not after. Wading through muck that was like chili.....

I've had feral cats before, and I know how having just one pregnant one can lead to 18 + in short order. We had the money to spay one cat a month and did so, but a neighbor dog came and killed many of them before it got more out of hand. She was not equiped to handle the massive explosion of kitties once the first batch of babies is breeding age, and on and on.

The only sane thing I saw in the article was the cats in the refrigerator. I've put a pet or two in the freezer before to keep it from smelling until some guy could bury it for me. (I'm a firm believer that dead things are a man's job.)

The rest of the stuff - man, I hope she gets some psychiatric help.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzybeth
    OMG, I didn't finish reading the story. I didn't see that she had some in her refrigerator! Boxes of dead cats labeled with their names and the date they died!

I've been trying to lose weight and I should have read that right BEFORE lunch and not after. Wading through muck that was like chili.....

Glitch I know that many rescuers do put the remains in the freezer until they can be buried.

I certainly hope you have a seperate freezer for that purpose.

I just could never again eat food from a freezer that had a dead cat in it.
    I know ... whats the difference between the dead cat and the dead cow I put in there?
    Just the idea of it...

Here where I live exists the largest population of ferral cats in the Northern Continent. Our local Animal shelter spays and nueters all pets for free.

I don't have a separate freezer, but all my food is in those airtight containers or ziplock bags, etc.

Last night I found my daughter's rats had babies, but one was born dead. I didn't know how long it had been outside the mother's body, so I could not feed it to another animal. It's in my freezer awaiting the next time we burn our trash. He will be creamated. I have several frozen mice in my freezer for my snakes to eat, and until recently had a frozen rattlesnake in my freezer. (A gift from a misguided friend who thought I'd want it.) Thankfully, April Fools day came around and there is always a use for a dead snake on that day of the year! :-)

(The REST of the year, I make a really great friend, really!) :-D

Quote Originally Posted by Amraann
    Glitch I know that many rescuers do put the remains in the freezer until they can be buried.

I certainly hope you have a seperate freezer for that purpose.

I just could never again eat food from a freezer that had a dead cat in it.
    I know ... whats the difference between the dead cat and the dead cow I put in there?
    Just the idea of it...

Here where I live exists the largest population of ferral cats in the Northern Continent. Our local Animal shelter spays and nueters all pets for free.

well, the woman obviously has mental health issues .There is no other reasoning behind all this behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by kazzbar
    well, the woman obviously has mental health issues .There is no other reasoning behind all this behaviour.
    I told my friend about this last night, as he was looking over all my critters in my house and said there is an actual "term" for what is wrong with people who collect cats to excess. A true mental illness with a name to it.

He sort of implied there might be a term for someone like me, as well, but at least my animals are alive (unless they are in the freezer!)

Glitchwitch, if I was not allergic I would collect cats too. Like you mine would be alive as I am scared of dead animals. I do not think there is any thing wrong with collecting homeless cats, in fact it is a noble pursuit. But i do not get the feeling this lady was a kind soul.

Quote Originally Posted by kazzbar
    Glitchwitch, if I was not allergic I would collect cats too. Like you mine would be alive as I am scared of dead animals. I do not think there is any thing wrong with collecting homeless cats, in fact it is a noble pursuit. But i do not get the feeling this lady was a kind soul.
    Kind soul? Is that the term my friend was implying? ha ha Maybe this lady doesn't LIKE cats.

I'm not fond of cats. If I won the Lotto - I'd probably have an entire farm of leftover pets people didn't want - and let high school kids come volunteer and give them "service hours" that they are required to do now. No mansions for me. :-)

(Just FYI. It's wizard, not witch. I am a computer programmer and screw up sometimes, so I am a "wizard" at creating glitches in the software! I know "wizard" is the "male" form of the word, but it sounded cooler.)

Kazzbar - I saw a news thing about a cat that still has fur, but is "non allergenic". If you ever have around $6,000 just laying around needing to be spent, you might want to look into the purchase of one so you can have one.

Quote Originally Posted by GlitchWizard
    I told my friend about this last night, as he was looking over all my critters in my house and said there is an actual "term" for what is wrong with people who collect cats to excess. A true mental illness with a name to it.

He sort of implied there might be a term for someone like me, as well, but at least my animals are alive (unless they are in the freezer!)
    Yes; it is a form of obsessive-compulsive disorder.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_hoarding

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast