FL - Deputy Matt Williams, 39, & K-9 Diogi shot to death, Lakeland, 28 Sept 2006

Shadow205

Reaction score
Breaking New from Lakeland, Fl

Two Polk County Sheriff's deputies have been reported down in a shooting on North Wabash Avenue and West 10th Street in Lakeland.

Sheriff’s spokesperson Carrie Rogers says investigators are on the scene.

Memorial Boulevard at Chestnut Road has been blocked off, so drivers are advised to avoid the area.

More information about the situation was not immediately available.

http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060928/BREAKING/60928001

Search ongoing for the suspect.

Just quickly saw that on TV in the lunchroom

One of the girls channel surfs and missed it big time!!!!

First she told everyone that a school in LakeWOOD, Co was on lockdown because there was a shooter on the school grounds. (News channels here are still covering yesterday's school shooting in Bailey)

We made her go back and saw what was happening. Then she changed channels again.

LAKELAND, Fla. — Florida police on Thursday were searching for a gunman who shot two Polk County sheriff's deputies — killing one of them — while schools in the area were on lockdown during the manhunt.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,216346,00.html

The situation began when a Polk deputy reportedly stopped a vehicle for speeding on Wabash Avenue and 10th Street at around 11:45 AM. The deputy was backed up by another Polk County Sheriff's K-9 team. The suspect gave the deputy a fake ID.

At one point, the suspect asked if he would be arrested. When the deputy responded he didn't know, the suspect ran into a nearby wooded area.

The responding deputy followed, while the backup deputy and K-9 also began a pursuit shortly afterward. Numerous shots were then fired, hitting both deputies as well as the K-9.

The deputies have been transported to Lakeland Regional Medical Center for their injuries. Deputy Doug Speirs was shot in the leg, and is expected to recover. Officer Matthew Williams, and his K-9 deputy were both shot to death.

Responding Lakeland PD later encountered the suspect behind a nearby house, and further gunfire was exchanged. The suspect again fled into the woods. There is no word on whether the gunman has been injured.

Officers from the FDLE, Hills PD, Lakeland PD, and Polk County Sheriff's Office are all engaged in the search for the suspect. Hillsborough County has also volunteered 22 deputies and a chopper to help in the search.

more at the link http://www.tampabays10.com/news/local/article.aspx?storyid=40607

06928164229_williams3.jpg

Deputy Matt Williams

06928165426_speirs.jpg

Deputy Doug Speirs

This guys is nuts! He confronted another Detective who was speaking to a resident in the area informing them to be aware of what was going on. The suspect popped out from behind a house and shot at the Detective. TG, that Detective was not injured.

The suspect is still at large.

The suspect has been shot and killed. He had dug a hole under a tree and was hiding there.....breaking news.

LAKELAND, Fla. — Florida authorities may have found the "dangerous" gunman who shot two sheriff's deputies, killing one of them, FOX News has learned.

During a phone interview with FOX News on Friday, Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd said "hundreds of shots are being fired," adding, "we believe we found him."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,216538,00.html

LAKELAND, Florida (CNN) -- Police said Friday they had shot and killed an accused cop killer after a massive two-day manhunt in Florida.

"Ladies and gentlemen, God will be the judge and jury this time," said Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd. "SWAT team members found the suspect in the brush" and asked to see his hands, saw a gun and "shot and killed the suspect who killed our deputy."

more at the link http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/09/29/deputies.shot/index.html

"Ladies and gentlemen, God will be the judge and jury this time," said Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd"

Amen! My thoughts and prayers go out to the Deputies family and to all of the LE officers involved.

Peter Hamilton said:
He was shot 68 times--lol--must've used him for target practice

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: thats all?:crazy:

Actually I think shooting anyone 68 times is f*c*ing scary! It tells me the officers were shooting on emotion. Somehow I think if it had been the Texas Rangers you would have only had one shot fired per officer. They have dead aim!

Scandi

scandi said:
Actually I think shooting anyone 68 times is f*c*ing scary! It tells me the officers were shooting on emotion. Somehow I think if it had been the Texas Rangers you would have only had one shot fired per officer. They have dead aim!

Scandi
and would there have been 68 of them? :truce:

Hi J2mirish,

I think it was a justified shooting if they really saw a gun and his hand looked poised for action, but overkill to me only shows a weakness with the cops shooting the bullets.

They were maybe novices, but I do think if they were confident in their abilities, they would have raised and fired in one motion, hitting the guy in the head BANG, and even though they would have kept their weapon raised in position, they would know they would not need to shoot again. Just being careful and precautious.

But I do also understand it is great this *advertiser censored**hole is a goner, never to kill anyone again!

Scandi

I lived in Mulberry which is right next to Lakeland and work down by this area it is a bad area with drugs and crime
I felt horrible about this
They locked down all surrounding schools a few friends of mine were in the school at the time

Thousands of mourners are expected to gather at a Polk County Church, Tuesday to remember Deputy Matt Williams.

His memorial will be held Tuesday at 1 p.m. at the Victory Church on Griffin Road in Lakeland.

Deputy Williams will be laid to rest at the Auburndale Memorial Cemetery. Diogi, the deputy's K-9 partner, will be cremated and buried with Williams
http://www.cfnews13.com/StoryHeadline.aspx?id=19051

Deputy Sheriff Vernon Matthew (Matt) Williams
Polk County Sheriff's Office
Florida

End of Watch: Thursday, September 28, 2006
Biographical Info
Tour of Duty: 12 years
Badge Number: 3655K

Incident Details
Cause of Death: Gunfire
Date of Incident: Thursday, September 28, 2006
Weapon Used: Handgun; 9 mm
Suspect Info: Shot and killed

http://www.odmp.org/officer.php?oid=18528

TiddlyWinker said:
Ok here's where I have a problem. That's overkill.
tell that to his wife, and 3 kids --( i heard, but did not read, it was his wifes bday- the day he was killed )
he and his canine partner were shot dead over what they though was a traffic stop- could have been another death too- that officer was lucky
simply breaks my heart

eta this officer was buried today- his canine partners' ashes will be buried with him - :blowkiss: to their family and firends and fellow officers

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Onaquest
Back