IL - Tale of survival for boy, 10, ripped from womb

Shadow205

Reaction score
Eli Evans leads normal life after savage start

BRIDGEPORT, Ill. - Belting out operatic-sounding songs one moment and doing magic tricks the next, 10-year-old Eli Evans talks of becoming a comedian and football player — no stretch for the 130-pound boy who's already an accomplished ham.

"That's not him showing off," Sam Evans says, shaking his head as he watches his whirling grandson. "That's all the time."

<snip>

Eli now knows what happened Nov. 16, 1995, the day he was ripped full-term from the womb of his 28-year-old mother, who was shot and stabbed to death. Authorities say Eli's father and a woman who wanted the unborn child were among Debra Evans' killers. Eli's 10-year-old sister also was stabbed to death, as was her 7-year-old brother, whose body was found later in an alley.

Eli's brother, Jordan, who was 22 months old, was unharmed. For a time, Sam Evans says, the toddler would recite details of the butchery he witnessed, telling relatives "the bad people" made his mommy and sister bleed.

Not dwelling on the violence
The slayings made headlines around the world and shocked even the most grizzled detectives.

Now 12, Jordan no longer remembers firsthand details. A wiry seventh-grader, he's chasing straight A's, a stronger build through weightlifting and new ways to torment his younger brother.

<snip>

The household doesn't dwell on the violence that culminated in a life prison sentence for Levern Ward, the ex-boyfriend of Evans' daughter Debra and father of Eli and Jordan. Two others were ordered executed but spared in 2003 when then-Gov. George Ryan commuted the death sentences of every condemned inmate in Illinois.
<snip>
Nine cases since 1987
They're not alone. Nine cut-from-the-womb cases have been documented since 1987 by the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, with Eli and five other children among the living.

more at the link http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15058002/

Those poor sweet children. I'm so glad they have their grandfather to raise them. He sounds like a good guy.

Such a heartbreaking story. The poor grandfather must have suffered unbelievable grief. The two surviving boys seem to be doing well, thanks to this wonderful grandfather. Bless his heart. And the kids too, of course.

Why if they wanted the smaller two couldn't they have taken all the children or at least not killed them? If they didn't want the older kids, at least leave them for Grandpa to raise. The whole thing is horrible, but why kill very small children? So stupid. Eli sounds like an AMAZING child regardless of circumstances!

Shadow205 said:
Eli Evans leads normal life after savage start

BRIDGEPORT, Ill. - Belting out operatic-sounding songs one moment and doing magic tricks the next, 10-year-old Eli Evans talks of becoming a comedian and football player — no stretch for the 130-pound boy who's already an accomplished ham.

"That's not him showing off," Sam Evans says, shaking his head as he watches his whirling grandson. "That's all the time."

<snip>

Eli now knows what happened Nov. 16, 1995, the day he was ripped full-term from the womb of his 28-year-old mother, who was shot and stabbed to death. Authorities say Eli's father and a woman who wanted the unborn child were among Debra Evans' killers. Eli's 10-year-old sister also was stabbed to death, as was her 7-year-old brother, whose body was found later in an alley.

Eli's brother, Jordan, who was 22 months old, was unharmed. For a time, Sam Evans says, the toddler would recite details of the butchery he witnessed, telling relatives "the bad people" made his mommy and sister bleed.

Not dwelling on the violence
The slayings made headlines around the world and shocked even the most grizzled detectives.

Now 12, Jordan no longer remembers firsthand details. A wiry seventh-grader, he's chasing straight A's, a stronger build through weightlifting and new ways to torment his younger brother.

<snip>

The household doesn't dwell on the violence that culminated in a life prison sentence for Levern Ward, the ex-boyfriend of Evans' daughter Debra and father of Eli and Jordan. Two others were ordered executed but spared in 2003 when then-Gov. George Ryan commuted the death sentences of every condemned inmate in Illinois.
<snip>
Nine cases since 1987
They're not alone. Nine cut-from-the-womb cases have been documented since 1987 by the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, with Eli and five other children among the living.

more at the link http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15058002/
Glade he's ok, hope it doesn't come back to haunt him.....

o/t article about the convicted X-Gov G. Ryan.
http://cbs2chicago.com/politics/local_story_107111835.html

Gosh I remember when this happened! I was living just one town over from where the murder took place. I had not realized it had been that long since this happened.

This is just one crime that I never could figure out! Why not just have a baby together? instead of taking your ex girlfriends baby get your new girlfriend preg. too. (not that I condone the hit and run reporduction that happens these days but it is better than murder)

I hate to see the grandfather and Eli go through this all again. I realize that our justice system requires everyone get a fair trial but I feel like the grandfather.

snipped from this article.
http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=8534106

"I don't blame him. I would want out, too. I want my daughter back. I'm not getting that. I'm want my granddaughter and grandson back, [I'm] not getting that," Evans said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back