Congressman Mark Foley resigned

Shadow205

Reaction score
Foley Resigns Over Sexually Explicit Messages to Minors

September 29, 2006 3:02 PM

Congressman Mark Foley (R-FL) resigned from Congress today, hours after ABC News questioned him about sexually explicit internet messages with current and former congressional pages under the age of 18.
A spokesman for Foley, the chairman of the House Caucus on Missing and Exploited Children, said the congressman submitted his resignation in a letter late this afternoon to Speaker of the House Dennis Hastert.
Hours earlier, ABC News had read excerpts of instant messages provided by former male pages who said the congressman, under the AOL Instant Messenger screen name Maf54, made repeated references to sexual organs and acts.

In a statement, Foley said, "I am deeply sorry and I apologize for letting down my family and the people of Florida I have had the privilege to represent."

http://blogs.abcnews.com/theblotter/2006/09/foley_resigns_o.html

I feel badly for the young men and the congressman's family.

According to this article

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/09/29/congressman.e.mails/index.html

"According to GOP sources, Foley is concerned there may be other potential politically damaging e-mails or information out there and has concluded it's best not to run again for office."

"Concerned there may be"??? Wouldn't he KNOW if those are out there or not?

Must be politi-speak for "I know there are more out there."

Poli speak for, "I did it, and I've done it a lot, and now that I'm found out for the hypocritic criminal I am, I'd better duck and hide!"

CNN showed some excerpts from instant chat messages. Asking what the teen was wearing and how he'd like to take his clothes off him. Ugh!!! Sick stuff!!!! :eek:

What a pig. Can he go to jail? I hope so. Then he can talk dirty with all the boys!! And people wonder why we can't get laws passed in this country to protect our kids. Look who's running the show!! I can't wait to hear what O'Reilly has to say about this.

O'Reilly will be disgusted, I would imagine.

This guy was on the committee to protect kids from the internet? Mmm, amazing.

This just floors me. WTF? He is chairman of missing and exploited children? I don't care if he is gay but kids? What a great coverup for a politician. I cannot believe the audacity of this.

Perverts will get in wherever they can - it's sad and shocking and upsetting to find out about them, but there they are. We found this one, and he's out - that's good. All I'd be concerned about now is if he either used his power to make any laws or other such easy to get around for his fellow perverts - or if anyone knew and covered up for him - I think those types are almost worse than the perverts themselves - at least in some ways the pervert is just sick and has that excuse, the person covering up doesn't.

Details said:
Perverts will get in wherever they can - it's sad and shocking and upsetting to find out about them, but there they are. We found this one, and he's out - that's good. All I'd be concerned about now is if he either used his power to make any laws or other such easy to get around for his fellow perverts - or if anyone knew and covered up for him - I think those types are almost worse than the perverts themselves - at least in some ways the pervert is just sick and has that excuse, the person covering up doesn't.

It explains a lot to me.We need to take a harder look at the laws in every state and the missing children. It seems that we almost have to self police our own states.For sure our children but on a local basis LE hands are tied by laws.

I had a cop explain to me last week to have the residents report a vagrant because after the damage is done the paperwork slows down the prosecution. I have been thinking about this. Now I see what he means. It is easier to pick up a vagrant on a misdemeanor charge and get them out of the way than prove what they have done. The same thing here...this perp just dropped out of politics to save himself from prosecution. I hope it doesn't work and paperwork isn't a problem for someone with a heartfelt desire to get rid of perverts. Also, a thought to coverups. This is reminding me of the people who helped Joseph Duncan. Thus ending in one of the worst
crimes I have seen.

I am believing that people should be prosecuted for turning their heads when knowledge could either prevent a crime or could bring someone to justice. Responsibilty is so sorely lacking right down.

concernedperson said:
This just floors me. WTF? He is chairman of missing and exploited children? I don't care if he is gay but kids? What a great coverup for a politician. I cannot believe the audacity of this.
really makes you want to jump up and wave the flag....doesnt it? :behindbar :behindbar

WARNING!
From ABC News: 2003 Internet exchange between Congressman Foley and a former congressional page, according to the young man.

This is a link chat and does contain some sexual content.

Maf54 is Congressman Folly's screen name. I certainly see why he resigned. I'm sure that this only only the tip of the iceburg.

http://abcnews.go.com/images/WNT/02-02-03b.pdf

sorry, I couldn't make the font any smaller.

IdahoMom said:
I am very happy he resigned. Now he needs to be prosecuted.
I agree IdahoMim and think that it is a very good possibility that he will be.

For heaven sakes! Can we trust anybody these days? Seems to me,there needs to be some major "house cleaning" into our elected officials. We're paying the salary of too many "bad boys" lately.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back