Fla. Deputy Shoots Self Showing Off Gun

Liz

I am not a chemist and this is not my 1st rodeo
Reaction score
Published Saturday, September 30, 2006

The Associated Press
ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla.
A sheriff's deputy showing a handgun to friends at his birthday party accidentally shot himself in the face, killing himself, authorities said Saturday.

Matt Barnes, 26, told guests at the Friday night celebration his .45-caliber revolver was not loaded, according to the St. Johns County Sheriff's Office.

More at link:
http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060930/APA/609302695/

How awful! And his poor fiance witnessed him shooting himself in the face! :(

I wonder if the birthday party was on his actual birthday. Such an avoidable death. Especially being a sheriff, he should have known to check that weapon to ensure it wasn't loaded.

strach304 said:
Oh how really awful! I can't even think of words for such a tragedy.
I can think of words... people are accidently killed by guns that "aren't loaded" all the time. Who trained him in firearms, Larry, Mo and Curley?

GlitchWizard said:
I can think of words... people are accidently killed by guns that "aren't loaded" all the time. Who trained him in firearms, Larry, Mo and Curley?
It was a tragedy, but I agree with you. HE of all people should have known guns are nothing to play around with, especially while drinking.

Always always always unload the bullet in the chamber even if there isn't a clip in the gun.

EDIT: Just saw that this gun was a revolver...better double check anyways.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zen1974
Back