MySpace doesn't end when you die.

Wow, look at the directory. It is all kids. How tragic.

Yeah. I found that site a couple months ago. Its really hard to read some of thoes deaths, because like you said they are kids.

Its very tragic. But it is kind of an eye opener. When you are a teenager you think your life will never end, but it does. It's good to go there and see, these people that pass away, were once just like you. They all had families and friends that loved them.

I went to the site and was reading the message boards. Some people are outraged at the site. I however viewed it as a memorial site.

I actually talked about it to my daughters and showed my oldest. My Space is such a huge thing among her and her friends and I thought the message that I had been trying to tell her about respecting life, people, etc. and now add cautious driving to the list (she starts driver's ed next quarter) would be better understood by seeing the choices that are made and events that happen to her peer group.

I did a quick overview of the site and the majority of these memorials are for people between the ages of 15-30 something. The majoriy have died in car/motorcycle wrecks (interestingly enough, there were only slightly more males that died than females), suicide, and gun violence (random, murder by a rival or murder by a boy/girlfriend), then a handfull dying from illness or other factors.

I think is was an eye opener for my DD. She always thought I was nuts when I talked to her about the importance of acknowledging someones presence with a nod, smile, or hello. I always tell her that you don't have to be friends with everybody, but notice people. You never know when you will inadvertently make their day. I tell her to be careful about posessive boys and not to be in such a rush to have a relationship with someone. There is plenty of time for that. Now that we are learning how to drive, I am always stressing about how driving is dangerous, it is not easy, it is a deadly weapon, etc. and she just brushes it off as if she knows she is in control.

After seeing this website made up of people that she could encounter at school and/or during her daily activities, and how their lives just ended and what an effect it has on their families and friends, I think I got through to her (even if it was a small break through) and she realized that I am not just blowing smoke.

2luvmy said:
(even if it was a small break through)
It doesn't matter how big or small. It might be exactly enough when the time comes she needs to know it. Good job for seeing a "teachable moment" and taking it.

Thanks, Glitch.

I Think she was most freaked out about how friends of the deceased were still commenting on the my space account. We also notices when you look at the last log in date and compare it to the TOD, it was the night before the died or hours before. I think she was realy receptive to this teaching moment because she and her friends are so into my space.

All the deaths are sad, but the one that has been bothering me lately is the boy who was getting ready for his first day of school as a junior and fell getting out of the shower and broke his neck. Just sad.

The ones that "really" get me, is the "young" men and women who have taken their own life, who overdosed on drugs, who died because of drinking and driving.

So preventable...so tragic, so young.....

One girl on there has been charged with manslaughter when she was driving drunk and wrecked her vehicle killing her friend who was the passenger. I went to her myspace and one of her friends is keeping it running by telling about how she is doing in jail and any updates that come up. I have a friend who almost killed someone in a horrible accident. She was in the hospital for 2 months. I never knew the other persons injuries but I knew it was serious. My friend ended up only getting 8 years probation for accident resulting in serious injury and among some other charges. I couldnt imagine seeing a friend of mine go to jail and have another friend dead (the girl on the mydeathspace website got 5 years in prison)....I had mixed feelings 4 years ago when I went through it all with my friend. I can imagine her friends feel she deserves to be punished but on the other hand they miss their friend and really dont want any of this to happen.

If you want a sad look at the status of today's youth, that place is it. There a few on their that died from disease, or the freak accident of the kid falling and breaking his neck. But most of them died by either car accidents and violence. Most of them could have been prevented.

And we wonder why America is so screwed up? :(

Aw i went to go look at it but it says the site is down. Dang i was really interested in what you all were saying about it!!

I read that site with my sons. So many deaths due to car accidents!! I've always told my sons I trust them driving...it's the rest of them they need to always be aware of. The number of KIDS killed in alcohol related accidents is heartbreaking.

I found this site a few months back too and its astounding all the suicides. So sad how so many kids feel that is their only way out.

ok, i haven't looked at this yet but am i bad person for snorting / laughing a little at the name "my death space?" come on! couldn't they have named it "myspace memorial" or something? geez!

Please be careful going to that site. On their homepage they mention a virus that some people have been getting. I went to it yesterday and I had a lot of pop up *advertiser censored* sites come up. Then I got the little message that said I had visited adult website and how it could ruin your marriage, profession, etc. They want you to download something that will take care of it. Don't do it. It'll only mess your computer up. It happened to me about a year ago and we had to completely erase everything in the computer.

Please be careful going to that site. On their homepage they mention a virus that some people have been getting. I went to it yesterday and I had a lot of pop up *advertiser censored* sites come up. Then I got the little message that said I had visited adult website and how it could ruin your marriage, profession, etc. They want you to download something that will take care of it. Don't do it. It'll only mess your computer up. It happened to me about a year ago and we had to completely erase everything in the computer.
Wow.
Thank you for the warning.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biff