Elephant kills man on Kenya honeymoon

Dark Knight

Reaction score
Elephant kills man on Kenya honeymoon By ANTHONY MITCHELL, Associated Press Writer

An elephant trampled and killed a British man on his honeymoon in Kenya, officials said Monday.

Patrick Smith, 34, was killed in front of his wife, Julie, in the Masai Mara National Reserve on Sunday, officials said. His wife managed to leap out of the way.

"He was trampled by an elephant while on a nature trail with his wife," said Connie Maina, spokeswoman for the Kenya Wildlife Service. "This is a terrible accident."

The couple had been married for just a week, Maina added.

They had arrived in Kenya for their honeymoon and were staying at the luxury Richard's Camp lodge in the game reserve. The camp is on the edge of a forest in the Masai Mara conservation area, about 100 miles southwest of the capital, Nairobi.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061002/ap_on_re_af/kenya_elephants_1&printer=1;

How terrible. a reminder safaris are with real, wild animals and not Disneyland.

even going to a small safari park in Europe has it's dangers.

I hate these honeymoon death stories...probably because I'm engaged. :D

Floh said:
How terrible. a reminder safaris are with real, wild animals and not Disneyland.

even going to a small safari park in Europe has it's dangers.
This is just awful news. I agree Floh about Eurpean safari parks. We went to El Arke in Spain. They had a lion chained near the restroom. The owner was trying to make my son who was about 10 stroke it but I said no.
It was in the Sunday Newspapers about 2 weeks later that the lion had ripped a womans arm off.

Paladin said:
I hate these honeymoon death stories...probably because I'm engaged. :D

Stay home! :woohoo:

eastender said:
This is just awful news. I agree Floh about Eurpean safari parks. We went to El Arke in Spain. They had a lion chained near the restroom. The owner was trying to make my son who was about 10 stroke it but I said no.
It was in the Sunday Newspapers about 2 weeks later that the lion had ripped a womans arm off.

Yeesh! :doh:

i remember going to one in Germany and we had to get on the bus which was going round rather than take the car (because it was a convertable and a taupaulin roof wasn't a sensible idea and the park wouldn't let us anyway).

there was a charming moment when the driver pulled up by a rhinoceros and that rhino put his head and horn onto the platform of the open bus and got some treats from the driver - well away from people and it was sooo cute and had obviously been done many times before to the delight of all . . . but, on reflection, i think if he was annoyed by something one great shake of his head could have ripped that bus apart, couldn't it? :eek:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back