Brown Cotton Gardening Gloves and Duct Tape

leighl

Reaction score
In the following interview, the R's are questioned about ownership/use of brown cotton gardening gloves:

http://www.acandyrose.com/atl2000-interviews-patsy-ramsey-volumeI.txt

Although common place in a lot of homes, the gloves are a curious thing to focus on, I don't recall any mention of the discovery such gloves at the scene and wondered why such questions came up.

When I first read this interview, I presumed brown cotton fibres must have been found on JB's body/in or around the immediate crime scene and such gloves were postulated to be the source of such fibres when thinking about things around the house that may be made from similar fibres, thus the line of questioning.

I have been reading through all of the posts at FFJ regarding this case and highly recommend reading front to back all the posts, there is a lot of good information and theories presented therein.

One bit of significant information on FFJ are the various lines of inquiry into JB's American Girl Doll(s).

We know that JB owned an American Girl Doll and that it was significant enough for Patsy's sister to remove it (among many other things) from the house. As many of us here can attest through our own/our children's experience with these dolls, they have a soft body and plastic limbs/head. The soft body of the AGD is made of a light brown (skin colour) cotton very similar to that of gardening gloves.

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5wvYu...&no=51&tt=1,190&oid=7718559f6f67bdbe&ei=UTF-8

dolls.jpg

The head of the AGD is attached by a cord looped through a circular pocket around the neck of the doll. This cord is most cumbersome and often gets in the way of combing/fixing the doll's hair. Many people who own AGD's braid and then tape the cord down to the doll's back. Masking or Scotch tape won't work, duct tape is the only thing that will stay put. Braiding ensures a tight enough grip by the cord to hold the head on and the duct tape prevents it moving around and getting tangled in the hair. If you ask the AGD company what to do, the customer care representatives often recommend the use of duct tape to hold the cord in place as sewing could cause harm to the doll/pins could cause harm to children.
The source for the piece of duct tape on JB's mouth was not found and there was no roll of duct tape found in the home.

If the R's were involved in staging an intruder scenario and did not have any duct tape (they couldn't very well go to the store that night), they could have easily removed the duct tape from the back of JB's doll (presuming duct tape was used on the doll in the first place). It would be the perfect size to fit across JB's mouth. This might be complicated to understand/seem far-fetched if you have never owned one of these dolls, but if you try to understand how frustrating that cord can be, then you will understand the likelihood that JB's AGD had duct tape holding down the cord as well.

If this is were the duct tape across JB's mouth came from and LE noted the light brown cotton fibres on the tape, without knowledge of AGD's problems with the neck cord/properly searching the house for possible sources of such fibres, perhaps they speculated the perpetrator wore brown cotton gloves and the fibres were transferred onto the duct tape from such gloves.

Little girls love these dolls, they carry them around everywhere, dress them in their pyjamas at night, etc. If JB had her AGD with her that night, the idea of where to get some duct tape would come easily to someone who knew about the doll's cord. And again, the soft body material of the doll is close to that of cotton work gloves, easily mistakenly thought to be the source of the fibres on the duct tape.

Anyone else know of any reason(s) why investigators would question the R's use/ownership of such gloves?

Good questions.

I really have to wonder why in this day and age, the AGD company insists on making dolls that have a cord holding the head on that has to be duct-taped down on the doll's body.

Good thoughts,in DOI,PR did ask sister PP specifically for the AG doll she'd gotten JB for xmas when she retrieved items from the house.

You'd think someone would wonder why they were so pointed about that.

But then, Pam seems to WANT to be in the dark.

SuperDave said:
You'd think someone would wonder why they were so pointed about that.

But then, Pam seems to WANT to be in the dark.
I guess Denial Land is a nice place..everybody is happy in that little place.

From http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0311/03/lkl.00.html

KURTIS: Dr. Lee, didn't you take a look at some tape in the JonBenet Ramsey case, reexamine it?

LEE: Yes. Yes, I did. Yes.

KURTIS: And there was nothing became of that.

LEE: Well, that's a two-inch tape and it's been used. It's not like the Laci Peterson case, which, as I say, I cannot comment too much on that.

----
I'm not sure if he meant duct tape was used or the tape itself had been used before (had something on it to indicate it had been somewhere before put across JB's mouth versus fresh off the roll).

I believe he meant the piece of tape had been previously used on something else.

I think he meant that, too, but let's face it: Henry's command of English isn't the greatest in the world.

Anyone have any idea why LE even thought of gardening gloves?

I'm sure gloves of some kind were used, not to leave fingerprints anywhere,
but not the gardening kind.

Yes, it's very surprising the dolls should still be so crudely made, these days.
None of mine were that un-lifelike, more than half a century ago. I had some, or at least one, that would "drink" water from a bottle and wet, had a wardrobe trunk for its clothes, and the bodies always looked lifelike, rubber or something.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rangelmcguire
Back