1433 users online (324 members and 1109 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Babysitter picks up wrong kid

LONG BEACH, Calif. - A baby sitter bungled her first day on the job by picking up the wrong 5-year-old boy from his elementary school, police said.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/15124795/

Why doesn't this school have a form for parents to fill out authorizing who is allowed to pick up their child? I taught preschool for years and would have never allowed someone to pick up a child w/o verifying they were on the list of names authorized by the parents and also checking their driver's license. Even if a child ran to someone willingly, I still asked them for ID if I had never met them.
    This school definitely needs to change it's policy on who can pick up a child.
    I also think the parents should have made sure the child and babysitter met. I can't imagine my dd at 5 yrs old just going home w/ a stranger.

I can't imagine sending someone to pick up my child that she didn't already know and trust.

Quote Originally Posted by kahskye
    Why doesn't this school have a form for parents to fill out authorizing who is allowed to pick up their child? I taught preschool for years and would have never allowed someone to pick up a child w/o verifying they were on the list of names authorized by the parents and also checking their driver's license. Even if a child ran to someone willingly, I still asked them for ID if I had never met them.
    This school definitely needs to change it's policy on who can pick up a child.
    I also think the parents should have made sure the child and babysitter met. I can't imagine my dd at 5 yrs old just going home w/ a stranger.
    FUN... is a renewable resource!

I thought the first rule when you hire a sitter or nanny was to introduce your child??

Observe how they get along??

Maybe I'm misunderstanding things, but it's also scary that the child would just go with someone who must have said, "I'm here to pick you up now, *name*".

Quote Originally Posted by Amraann
    I thought the first rule when you hire a sitter or nanny was to introduce your child??
    Apparently, this child's rule of thumb was to be - hitchiking, when he's not picked up!

I recall a lady coming to my house, supposedly to "interview me" about watching her children. Within 10 minutes, she was bringing a GALLON OF MILK that was in the car, to put in my refrigerator. She'd had her mind made up before even meeting me!
    FUN... is a renewable resource!