Farrah Fawcett treated for cancer

Floh said:
Farrah Fawcett has undergone surgery to treat cancer.

The 59-year-old star of the original 'Charlie's Angels' TV series appeared to be glowing with health at the Emmy awards five weeks ago but has since had an operation to remove a tumour from her lower intestine.

http://www.lse.co.uk/ShowbizNews.asp?Code=KS54824C&headline=farrah_fawcett_treated_for_cancer

I hope she beats it.
I did not even know that. I love her, with all of her drugged out talking on David letterman and all. I have always liked her, lol...

That's sad; I thought she was having to take care of her elderly father also.

I hope the chemo doesn't mean it has spread.

To me she doesn't look anything like her former self. she' moving back in with Ryan? Well, at least he must care about her. Maybe "dysfunction junction" is in the past.

Marthatex said:
That's sad; I thought she was having to take care of her elderly father also.

I hope the chemo doesn't mean it has spread.

To me she doesn't look anything like her former self. she' moving back in with Ryan? Well, at least he must care about her. Maybe "dysfunction junction" is in the past.
I think the Chemo is a standard course just to make sure it goes no further.
Its hard to detect small amounts of spreading and surgery also can cause it to spread.

I don't know if there's a big difference between cancer of the small and large intestines and whether being lower even qualifies as large, but cancer of the small intestines is pretty much fatal even with full treatment. Sam Mills died of this cancer after less then 2 years and his survival time was longer then "expected" by the medical folks.

Depends on where it is in the lower intestine and whether or not it had spread out through the wall of the bowel. Chances for survival are greatly increased if it has not spread out through the wall of the intestine. Often the cancer along with a portion of the bowel can be cut out and then the bowel sewn back together. Called an anastamosis (an-*advertiser censored*-ta-MO-sis) Other times it is necessary to perform a colostomy, which is where the person has to wear a "colostomy bag" - sometimes only for a while, other times forever.

My mom had this cancer almost 15 years ago. She was able to have the anastamosis and never even had to have any chemo. She was in her late 60's then, is still going strong today.

I'm not sure what the parameters are for them giving the chemo - I think it depends on the individual situation.

This doesn't sound good--intestinal cancer can be quite deadly--but I'm praying for her to beat it--saw her recent reality show on TV land,she was such a ditz,but I still found her endearing---O' Neal has cancer too,but he's lucky that his form of leukemia can be treated with Gleevac--he may very well live a normal life

Peter Hamilton said:
This doesn't sound good--intestinal cancer can be quite deadly--but I'm praying for her to beat it--saw her recent reality show on TV land,she was such a ditz,but I still found her endearing---O' Neal has cancer too,but he's lucky that his form of leukemia can be treated with Gleevac--he may very well live a normal life
I hope she will be ok too. I am praying for her as well.

I read somewhere (forget) that the cancer is in her intestines and they were calling it anal cancer. Is that the proper term for intestinal cancer?

Oh wow, thats so sad about Farrah. Doesn't it seem that cancer seems to be running rampant? It does to me. Thats all I hear anymore, that someone has cancer. Its scares the heck out of me. Whats up with all this cancer, whats causing so much of it? I wish I knew. I pray for health!!

Why would they not call it colon cancer? Rectal would be more colon type cancer which while never a good thing is curable if caught early enough. I hope for her sake it is colon.

publicist refuses to discuss what type of cancer it is,but admitted that it was a fast-growing tumor---geez,I hope it hasn't spread--reportedly undergoing chemotherapy--

Peter Hamilton said:

I didn't know Ryan O'Neal had cancer...oh, my. Both of them. They have a son, I think, Redmond...wonder how old he is? Probably early 20's or late teens?

englishleigh said:
I didn't know Ryan O'Neal had cancer...oh, my. Both of them. They have a son, I think, Redmond...wonder how old he is? Probably early 20's or late teens?

OK, just answering my own question...Redmond will be 22 in January.

Wasn't/isn't Redmond having drug problems? If still so, now would be a good wake up call for him so he can be there for his parents.

Farrah is suffering from Anal Cancer,as the LA Times just reported---This is a rare cancer with only 4000 cases a year--risk factors for developing this disease include having the HPV virus,having many sexual partners,engaging in anal sex,and smoking--most cases are cureable,especially if it has not spread to the lymph nodes---

Peter Hamilton said:
Farrah is suffering from Anal Cancer,as the LA Times just reported---This is a rare cancer with only 4000 cases a year--risk factors for developing this disease include having the HPV virus,having many sexual partners,engaging in anal sex,and smoking--most cases are cureable,especially if it has not spread to the lymph nodes---

yikes!...what is HPV?

HPV stands for Human Papilloma Virus. It is extremely common, and many people who have the virus do not even know it because oftentimes there are no signs or symptoms. There are over 100 different variations of HPV, and of those, about 30 are due to sexual contact. It is so common that most people actually get the virus within 2-3 years of becoming sexually active, and 75% of people betwen 15-49 years of age have genital HPV. 3 out of 4!!!!! They are now saying that cervical cancer can be caused by HPV. Scary! About 20 MILLION people are thought to have an active case of HPV at any one time.

Since there are oftentimes no signs or symptoms, many people unknowingly pass it on to others. You do not have to have sex, or exchange bodily fuids to get HPV, and condom usage doesn't prevent it.

All the more reason for women to get their yearly paps done, especially since they now know that many cervical cancers are caused by HPV. Scary, scary, scary.

close_enough said:
yikes!...what is HPV?
Human Papilloma Virus, aka WARTS, yep, the genital kind. It is a strong prediposition for Cervical cancer...

ETA: Sorry Julianne I didn't see your post!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021
Back