Fleet White on morning of murder

Jay78

Reaction score
I have heard people questioning what happened when FW looked into the wine cellar that morning. I just finished reading PMPT. it says that fleet did not enter the room he merely looked in from the doorway and that he could not find the light and left the room. However, it also says that JR was standing the same spot. so i think the implication is that it was either too dark or FW did not look into the room

I wouldn't know the answer but guess your question is Why didn't FW look into and/or even go into the dark room? Also Officer French. I don't buy that about the door was latched or stuck. And the PD not sending Arndt any backup just because it was Christmas. Almost sounds like people knew something already, doesn't it?

LOL en reference to the South Park quote.I don't think the so-called 'intruder' was 'some P.Rican guy'.

From what I understand, after reading all the same books y'all have...Fleet White opened the door, couldn't find the light, too dark to see in, so he closed it.

When John Ramsey opened the door, he yelled BEFORE he turned on the light and saw the body.

Makes you go....hmmm

Does anyone know the time lapse between the door being opened by one then the other?

I ask because if the sun was coming up then a mere few minutes would have made the difference of the light play coming through windows and at what angles. Even if no window in that room directly (I can't recall if there was one)
The light from other windows could allow more light if the sun was coming up.

Amraann said:
Does anyone know the time lapse between the door being opened by one then the other?

I ask because if the sun was coming up then a mere few minutes would have made the difference of the light play coming through windows and at what angles. Even if no window in that room directly (I can't recall if there was one)
The light from other windows could allow more light if the sun was coming up.

There are no windows in the wine cellar where JBR's body was found.

It was several hours between the time the two men looked in the wine cellar. I believe (correct me if I am wrong) that White did his search first thing in the morning -- around 6:30am? John Ramsey found JBR about 1pm.

Tricia said:
From what I understand, after reading all the same books y'all have...Fleet White opened the door, couldn't find the light, too dark to see in, so he closed it.

When John Ramsey opened the door, he yelled BEFORE he turned on the light and saw the body.

Makes you go....hmmm

Okay,I'm going to play devil's advocate here ...
So it's a possibility that when Fleet White looked in the wine room,it wasn't so much a fact that JonBenet's body wasn't in there,it was more that it was dark and he didn't see anything.Correct?

Cypros said:
There are no windows in the wine cellar where JBR's body was found.

It was several hours between the time the two men looked in the wine cellar. I believe (correct me if I am wrong) that White did his search first thing in the morning -- around 6:30am? John Ramsey found JBR about 1pm.
SO just in general the cellar would have more light from the small windows in other areas of the basement.

capps said:
Okay,I'm going to play devil's advocate here ...
So it's a possibility that when Fleet White looked in the wine room,it wasn't so much a fact that JonBenet's body wasn't in there,it was more that it was dark and he didn't see anything.Correct?
It was said that JB's body had an odor about it when she was found at 1PM.I wonder if there would likely have been an odor at that earlier time when FW looked in there?(best estimate is she died around 1am i think?)If so,then I think he would have noticed.
Is it possible JB's body was hidden and then moved to that spot when JR admitted he had went down to the basement previously?

Tricia said:

Makes you go....hmmm
Yep, that's exactly what I was going to post.:) Fleet said the room was dark---too dark to see anything. Yet papa John immediately saw the body.I don't think so Scooter.:rolleyes:

Cypros said:

Was it several hours?

Fleet said the room was dark---too dark to see anything. Yet papa John immediately saw the body.I don't think so Scooter.

I think you nailed it.

According to John's account, he said he saw the blanket that was covering her, and immediately knew it was Jonbenet.
This was before flicking the lightswitch on.

Meanwhile, Fleet White couldn't see anything. He couldn't find the lightswitch either...and so gave up on going into the room.

SleuthingSleuth said:
According to John's account, he said he saw the blanket that was covering her, and immediately knew it was Jonbenet.
This was before flicking the lightswitch on.

Meanwhile, Fleet White couldn't see anything. He couldn't find the lightswitch either...and so gave up on going into the room.

SleuthingSleuth,

Another interesting nugget, and there are few relating to the wine-cellar e.g the blankets.

John Ramsey's eyesight was so bad I believe he hired a pilot to fly him around.

Since I do not know how good or bad Fleet White's eyesight was back then, I'll guess it was better than John's?

So how does a guy with dodgy eyesight see JonBenet instantly , mmm ?

Amraann said:
SO just in general the cellar would have more light from the small windows in other areas of the basement.

Not necessarily. There is only one window on that side of the basement. It is in the boiler room (the room that leads to the wine cellar) but in the opposite corner from the wine cellar door. These windows open onto shafts that are below ground-level. Not much light would come in. I would expect that in both searches they were turning lights on so as to see better in the dark basement so the lighting could have been exactly the same during both searches (flourescent/indoor lighting in the basement foyer and/or boiler room). I don't know of an interview that describes such specifics.

It is possible to conclude from the various reports that Fleet White couldn't see the body because it was too dark and he couldn't find the light. This would suggest that he didn't really have much of a look into the so-called "winecellar". He planced in. Too dark. Saw nothing. Moved on.

However, it is a fact that FW was taken aback when JR found the body in that room, so taken aback, in fact, that he spoke to the police (Arndt). He told her that the body was not in the room earlier. This is why he was gobsmacked that JR waltzed into the winecellar and located the body (even before turning on the lights). For him to have reported to Arndt (incriminating his friend JR) he must have been *sure* that there was no body in there earlier. Might he have been mistaken? Perhaps. But he evidently didn't think he was. He seems to have been pretty certain that there was no body there earlier. This is why alarm bells started ringing for him and he felt compelled to mention it to Arndt.

So we can speculate about how much Fleet White could see in the dark room but his behaviour tells us that in his own mind he knows there was no body there earlier. He wouldn't have spoken to Arndt if he wasn't sure.

The "winecellar", by the way, was never used to store wine. What is important to realise is that it was a place used to store Christmas paraphenalia (amongst other stuff). And the last people in there prior to that day was the husband of the Ramsay housekeeper and one of his friends who were doing odd jobs for the Ramsay's helping set up for Christmas. This, imo, is why the body was put in that room. Just as the ransom note was put at the base of the stairs. In both cases those placements are designed to direct attention to the housekeeper and her "two gentlemen" (who don't particularly like "fat cats" like JR). IMO the Ramsay's were trying to frame the housekleeper and co.

At least in the first instance, they were. When that didn't take hold they started all sorts of stories including the intruder story.

One of the reasons Arndt was left alone in the house (with the parade of guests and visitors) was that the Ramsay's had already put the cops onto the housekeeper LHP and they were off to speak with her. Patsy at one point asked Arndt what was going on and Arndt assured her that cops were off to find LHP. The housekeeper was the prime suspect at first.

So why was the body in the winecellar? Because LHP's husband (and friend) were the last people in there. The location was designed to point to LHP. As too was the location of the ransom note. When Patsy was shown the ransom note she says "Gee, it looks like Linda's writing..."

Plenum,

You make a great point about the placement of the body as an effort to implicate LHP and hubby. It seems, though, that you do not think the body was in that room when FW made his first search. Doesn't that work against the theory of implicating LHP? Where was the body initially? Why wait to place it in the wine cellar? Was this Plan B?

LHP always said she never knew about that room. But maybe they figured she did?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back