Muslim cabbies refuse the blind and drinkers

PlasmaFiend024

Reaction score
MUSLIM taxi drivers are refusing to carry blind passengers with their guide dogs or anyone carrying alcohol.

At least 20 dog-aided blind people have lodged discrimination complaints with the Victorian Taxi Directorate. Dozens more have voiced their anger.
And there have been several complaints that drivers refuse to allow passengers to carry sealed bottles of alcohol.
Victorian Taxi Association spokesman Neil Sach said the association had appealed to the mufti of Melbourne to give religious approval for Muslim cabbies to carry guide dogs.
One Muslim driver, Imran, said yesterday the guide dog issue was difficult for him.
``I don't refuse to take people, but it's hard for me because my religion tells me I should not go near dogs,'' he said.
There are about 2000 Muslims among drivers of Melbourne's 10,000 taxis. Many are from countries with strict Islamic teachings about ``unclean'' dogs and the evils of alcohol.
Drivers who refused to carry blind people with their dogs attended remedial classes at Guide Dogs Victoria, Mr Sach said.
"They are taught why blind people need dogs," Mr Sach said.
"The Victorian Taxi Association has included a program in their taxi driver training program."
Guide Dogs Victoria spokeswoman Holly Marquette said blind people regularly reported taxi drivers refusing to carry them because of their dogs.
"It's sad and quite upsetting," Ms Marquette said. "We try to work with new drivers to educate them about their responsibilities and the needs and rights of blind people.
"We explain that the dog is clean, well trained, won't go near them and will stay in the foot well with the client.
"But it's a high turnover industry and it's hard to capture everyone."
Ms Marquette said there was a legal requirement for taxi drivers, shops, restaurants, hotels and supermarkets to accept guide dogs."
Opposition Transport spokesman Terry Mulder said the guide dog issue would exacerbate the taxi industry's flagging respect in the community.
Under the State Government's customer charter, taxi passengers have the right to "be accompanied by a guide dog or hearing dog".
Mr Sach said the problem was often reversed and that Muslim drivers suffered discrimination from passengers who abused them for being "terrorists".
"Muslims are good people and the community has to realise that the days of the white Anglo-Saxon Protestant are well and truly over," he said.
Over the past two years the licences of 306 drivers were revoked or suspended, including those who refused to carry the blind and their dogs.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,20543144-661,00.html

LOL i guess that would be one way to win the iraqi war just let loose some dogs with cases of liquor strapped to there backs:)

I don't find your suggestion to be entertaining. The Iraq war is nothing to make light of. Likewise, the deeply held religious beliefs of Muslims should not be ridiculed.

Would you suggest that the Israeli-Palestinian conflict could be resolved by unleashing thousands of pigs so that the Jews and the Muslims could focus on a common "enemy"? Or that another potato famine would be just the ticket to sort everything out in Northern Ireland?

The Australian taxicab regulators can handle this matter through their existing legal system, as they have apparently done. It is very similar to the situation here where some christian pharmacists refuse to fill prescriptions for contraceptives. Not funny at all.

PlasmaFiend024 said:
LOL i guess that would be one way to win the iraqi war just let loose some dogs with cases of liquor strapped to there backs:)

lol, That's an idea.

I'd say these people need to get another job. I'm personally sick to death of religion over-flowing into the workplace. Maybe this guy should go out and start his own company. Ha! It's always people who work for people who pull this garbage. If it were there sweat and blood and money that started the company, and they had a bank breathing down their necks, they'd probably sing a different tune. I'd fire them for failure to perform their job. These people knew what they would be doing when they took on the job. I don't feel any sympathy for them.

I feel really bad for those blind people. They have enough barriers to overcome without having to deal with this sort of thing.

luthersmama said:
I don't find your suggestion to be entertaining. The Iraq war is nothing to make light of. Likewise, the deeply held religious beliefs of Muslims should not be ridiculed.
I don't think that was Plasma's intention. I have a few buddies in the military who probably would have chuckled at that joke. Political over-correctness is a wildfire that needs to be controlled.

luthersmama said:
I don't find your suggestion to be entertaining. Would you suggest that the Israeli-Palestinian conflict could be resolved by unleashing thousands of pigs so that the Jews and the Muslims could focus on a common "enemy"? Or that another potato famine would be just the ticket to sort everything out in Northern Ireland?

Oh give us a break. Nothing like over-reacting :rolleyes:

this is blatant discrimination and we should be more outraged by this. if a white cabbie refused to pick up a black man then everyone would be up in arms. What is a devout baptit refused to pick up an atheist? Why, the left media would be all over it. I am so tired of this stuff, the pope makes a few muslim comments and everyone gets mad yet everyday some muslims call christians jew infidels and then blow them up.
Plasma by the way, i know your comment was just a joke but I think you stumbled upon a good idea. :)

2sisters said:
this is blatant discrimination and we should be more outraged by this.
If we were more outraged we might end up acting like the jerks who were setting churches on fire after the Pope's remarks. I think we also know when to let things slide for the sake of keeping the peace. If we got up in arms about every little thing on this planet the world would be a much nastier place.

If you have religious or moral objections to the passengers you'l be required to carry you shouldn't become a cab driver. If you have religious or moral objections to dispensing certain medications you shouldn't become a pharmacist.

It would be like if I got a job teaching at a Catholic school and then flipped out because I had an objection to nuns or rosaries. Why take a job if you know it's going to cause such a crisis of faith.

Hope this is readable-I'm slowwwly with one hand and eating the yummiest gyro ever in the other. :)

Becca

luthersmama said:

Would you suggest that the Israeli-Palestinian conflict could be resolved by unleashing thousands of pigs so that the Jews and the Muslims could focus on a common "enemy"? Or that another potato famine would be just the ticket to sort everything out in Northern Ireland?

The Australian taxicab regulators can handle this matter through their existing legal system, as they have apparently done. It is very similar to the situation here where some christian pharmacists refuse to fill prescriptions for contraceptives. Not funny at all.
Thank you for your response. You make some great points.

Paladin said:
If we were more outraged we might end up acting like the jerks who were setting churches on fire after the Pope's remarks. I think we also know when to let things slide for the sake of keeping the peace. If we got up in arms about every little thing on this planet the world would be a much nastier place.
I agree. There is more than enough "outrage" in the world. If we're not careful we can become "addicted" to outrage and stuck in action/reaction going from one rant or outrage to another.

windovervocalcords said:
I agree. There is more than enough "outrage" in the world. If we're not careful we can become "addicted" to outrage and stuck in action/reaction going from one rant or outrage to another.
Yes. We would be a planet of Louis Blacks. :behindbar

luthersmama said:

im sorry if my comment offened you.that wasnt my intention.was just trying to add levity to the situation

PlasmaFiend024 said:
im sorry if my comment offened you.that wasnt my intention.was just trying to add levity to the situation
Maybe the poster wasn't personallly offended but sensitive to the context of your comment at the end. ??

People make light of "political correctness" but surely the cab driver needs cultural training as does his boss.

If he is in business for himself then its not unlike the steak guy in Phillie who would not serve customer unless they ordered in english.

btw luthersmama.i understand you making youre point .but not once did you mention the blind people they refuse to pick up.i mean doesnt religon teach you to help those who need youre help?that would include the handicapped.christianity gets bashed all the time.you dont see them acting violently because of it.there are zealots in every religon.but it just
seems isalm responds to any slight or percieved missgiving about there faith with violence and hate

PlasmaFiend024 said:
btw luthersmama.i understand you making youre point .but not once did you mention the blind people they refuse to pick up.i mean doesnt religon teach you to help those who need youre help?that would include the handicapped.christianity gets bashed all the time.you dont see them acting violently because of it.there are zealots in every religon.but it just
seems isalm responds to any slight or percieved missgiving about there faith with violence and hate
Why did the cabbie not pick up the blind?

It was not hatred of blind people but aversion to dogs.

well if youre a cabbie that wold be part of youre job.if you dont like it get another job.religon shouldnt be part of the workplace.and its not like hes touching the dog or drinking the liquor?i mean sealed cases of liquor come on give me a break.political correctness is going to be the downfall of this world.

PlasmaFiend024 said:
well if youre a cabbie that wold be part of youre job.if you dont like it get another job.religon shouldnt be part of the workplace.and its not like hes touching the dog or drinking the liquor?i mean sealed cases of liquor come on give me a break.political correctness is going to be the downfall of this world.
I doubt "political correctness" ( aka cultural sensitivity) will be the downfall of the world.

But Fox News likes that theme..

but i mean forget the aversion to dogs.dont they realize these blind people dont have sight like they do.and need the dogs to get around.that would be like me getting a job at a bakery and not like being around cake.makes no sense.

it sems like it cause if someone makes some dumb remark.they get all crazy about it.i think my 5 year old has better restraint than that.the muslims just need to get over them selves.and stop wanting people to cater to there religon.

PlasmaFiend024 said:
but i mean forget the aversion to dogs.dont they realize these blind people dont have sight like they do.and need the dogs to get around.that would be like me getting a job at a bakery and not like being around cake.makes no sense.
This is an interesting story. Great opportunity to learn. It jwould never have occured to me in a million years that Musliims cabbies would not pick up a blind passenger who had a seeing eye dog!

Why would it have not occured to me? Because it is not my cultural experience.

I have had house guest from Tibet. I was surprised at their discomfort and aversion they had to my pets.

Thye were horrified that I live with a cat and a dog. These are very intelligent and kind people and they were terrified of my pets! Why? Cultural context.

We expect immigrants to learn our ways REAL quick. It takes time. Sounds like the community is addressing this appropriately.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back