Lettuce recalled over E. coli concerns

Dark Knight

Reaction score
Lettuce recalled over E. coli concerns

(AP) Less than a week after the Food and Drug Administration lifted its warning on fresh spinach grown in California's Salinas Valley, a popular brand of lettuce grown there was recalled Sunday over concerns about E. coli contamination.

The lettuce does not appear to have caused any illnesses, the president of Salinas-based Nunes Co. Inc. said.

The lettuce scare comes amid other federal warnings that some brands of spinach, bottled carrot juice and recent shipments of beef could cause grave health risks — including paralysis, respiratory failure and death.

Executives ordered the recall after learning that irrigation water may have been contaminated with E. coli, said Tom Nunes Jr., president of the company.

So far, company investigators have not found E. coli bacteria in the lettuce itself, Nunes stressed.

"We're just reacting to a water test only. We know there's generic E. coli on it, but we're not sure what that means," he said. "We're being extra careful. This is precautionary."

The recall covers green leaf lettuce purchased in grocery stores Oct. 3-6 in Arizona, California, Nevada, Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Montana. It was also sold to distributors in those states who may have sold it to restaurants or institutions.

The recalled lettuce was packaged as "Green Leaf 24 Count, waxed carton," and "Green Leaf 18 Count, cellophane sleeve, returnable carton." Packaging is stamped with lot code 6SL0024.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061008/ap_on_re_us/tainted_lettuce&printer=1

I seen this earlier. I just got home from getting food when I read it. I bought a HUGE thing of lettuce. :eek:

Oh boy, here we go again... I eat a lot of salads :( I also have a juicer and I juice beets and carrots along with other veggies and fruits...

Usualy you get these outbreaks in the beginning of summer.
Wonder if someone is messin with our food system....:waitasec:

I wondered why lettuce was SO CHEAP when I shopped yesterday! I decided against getting any even though it was on my list since it was a dollar less than usual. They did that here when the spinach problem hit too!

lettuce was culprit in latest cases of E-coli........

Lettuce was culprit in latest cases
E. coli outbreaks in November are linked to the Central Valley. 'Fundamental fixes' in food safety are urged.
By Rong-Gong Lin II and Mary Engel, Times Staff Writers
January 13, 2007

Prepackaged iceberg lettuce from California has been linked to two separate outbreaks of E. coli that sickened more than 150 Taco Bell and Taco John's customers late last year on the East Coast and in the Midwest, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration said Friday.

The news comes just months after officials fingered prepackaged California spinach in an outbreak of E. coli O157:H7 that sickened more than 200 people and killed three.

It deals another blow to California's leafy greens industry, which dominates the nation's supply. The iceberg lettuce industry alone harvested $750 million worth of greens in 2005 — nearly 75% of the nation's crop. Most of it was grown in the Greater Salinas and Central valleys.

http://www.latimes.com/news/printed...oll=la-headlines-frontpage&ctrack=1&cset=true

I only eat a head of lettuce per day. Great.

I think illegal immigrants are crapping in the fields they are picking in just to get back at us!

NaNaRosebud said:
I think illegal immigrants are crapping in the fields they are picking in just to get back at us!

Good God. Here we go again.. Lets just blame everything bad on black people and illegal immigrants.

Pandora said:
I wondered why lettuce was SO CHEAP when I shopped yesterday! I decided against getting any even though it was on my list since it was a dollar less than usual. They did that here when the spinach problem hit too!
That's why all the greasy, high-sodium and (other) junk food is so cheap in this country: everything that's bad for your health costs less than the good stuff. :rolleyes:

Pandora said:

Well, duh :doh:, if it is contaminated it should be sold at a lower price!!!

poco said:
Well, duh :doh:, if it is contaminated it should be sold at a lower price!!!

IMHO, if it is contaminated, it should be removed from the marketplace immediately!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back