1082 users online (221 members and 861 guests)  

Websleuths News

Canada - Thelma Montgomery MacMillan, 34, Cornwall, Ont, ~1933

I'm at a friend's house and wanted to ask if anyone here can tell me where to start with this.

Her Mom went missing when she was 12 years old, and we realize that she would not be living now, but my friend has lived with this all these years not knowing whatever became of her Mom.

It was in Cornwall Ontario Canada in the year of 1933 (give or take a year) and her name was Thelma Mary Montgomery (maiden name) born in Bloomington Ill USA in 1899.

When she went missing the city police, Provincial police and the RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) all were involved. Her married name was MacMillan and she was married in 1916 in Regina Saskatchewan CA to Hugh Angus MacMillan. My friend is now 87 years old, and since this has plagued her all of her life, I thought I would see if there's anything that you all could help us with.

We don't know what happened except she never made it home from work one night in September of that year. She walked back and forth to work, and just didn't make it home one nigh. They checked the canal, the river, and whatever, but nothing ever came of it. Their marriage was not an ideal one, and there was some physical abuse involved. If she left, she left five kids behind, and that's hard to accept. My friend says that he treated her very badly, and in a way, she wouldn't blame her if she had left willingly.

She had three brothers, Harvey, Robert, and Furman and she was the youngest of the four children. Anything you can suggest would be appreciated.

Thelma Mary MacMillan or Thelma Mary Montgomery

This was posted in the "missing but not forgotten" thread so I opened a thread for the case here in cold case section since the case is an old one.
    Originally Posted by Jovin:
    "I'm at a friend's house and wanted to ask if anyone here can tell me where to start with this.

Her Mom went missing when she was 12 years old, and we realize that she would not be living now, but my friend has lived with this all these years not knowing whatever became of her Mom.

It was in Cornwall Ontario Canada in the year of 1933 (give or take a year) and her name was Thelma Mary Montgomery (maiden name) born in Bloomington Ill USA in 1899.

When she went missing the city police, Provincial police and the RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) all were involved. Her married name was MacMillan and she was married in 1916 in Regina Saskatchewan CA to Hugh Angus MacMillan. My friend is now 87 years old, and since this has plagued her all of her life, I thought I would see if there's anything that you all could help us with.

We don't know what happened except she never made it home from work one night in September of that year. She walked back and forth to work, and just didn't make it home one nigh. They checked the canal, the river, and whatever, but nothing ever came of it. Their marriage was not an ideal one, and there was some physical abuse involved. If she left, she left five kids behind, and that's hard to accept. My friend says that he treated her very badly, and in a way, she wouldn't blame her if she had left willingly.

She had three brothers, Harvey, Robert, and Furman and she was the youngest of the four children. Anything you can suggest would be appreciated."

Jovin (or anyone else who knows), I am curious if you made any progress on your friend's case? It must have been so difficult to live an entire lifetime not knowing what happened to your mother.

Couldn't find a thing in Google News Archives, probably because it is mostly (if not exclusively) American newspapers. I can't find a free Canadian news archive website.

Hi there. You may want to check out ancestry records.