1208 users online (237 members and 971 guests)  

Websleuths News

Officer in trouble for MySpace page...

http://apnews1.iwon.com//article/200...D8KNMD5O0.html

This guy was a cop?!?! While we've talked about fantasy vs. real life before, I think that certain jobs/careers do (or should) require a higher level of, umm, shall we say, quality and morals? In my mind, cops and teachers definitely fit that. Posting pictures of dismembered and tortured women pushes way past the boundaries of decency.

I wonder who the woman was who was on his page. Is this a crime scene photo that he used for his own sick fetish, or is this a crime HE committed? I heard about this on my radio news today. Very sick.

The things people put on myspace never cease to amaze me. Even when you think something is "private" it isn't.

ITA with you that there are some professions out there that should be even more careful about things they post on the internet. Of course, you can look at it as that if he hadn't we really wouldn't know just what kind of person this guy is and he would continue to work for the police dept. SCAREY!

SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    Good point Lizzybeth.

So sad, this is just a joke gone wrong!

I haven't seen the myspace page, but I believe the officer when he said it was intended to be humorous. I mean come on, his username was "leatherface" (the main character from the Texas Chainsaw Massacre.) He was obviously making a faux myspace persona based on that famous character (he could as easily have chosen freddy kruger, pin head, michael myers, etc). Adding superhero to his profession made it even more silly. The dismembered shots were probably from various horror flicks.

This sounds like any other horror-fanatic...just check out any horror film forum and you'll find hundreds of people who have based their online persona on a fictional character. Type in "pyramid head" in youtube, and you'll find dozens of people cosplaying (costume role-playing) as that character. Check out Pyramid Head I wonder if he's also a public servant behind the mask.

If this were a real page with real photos, I'd be up in arms. This was just a joke, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora
    http://apnews1.iwon.com//article/200...D8KNMD5O0.html

While we've talked about fantasy vs. real life before, I think that certain jobs/careers do (or should) require a higher level of, umm, shall we say, quality and morals? In my mind, cops and teachers definitely fit that.
    So Jacobi would it still be funny if your child's preschool teacher decided to put on their myspace that John Karr was their hero...as a joke?

It was in poor taste. I realize that people in his profession along with doctors, EMT's etc. become desensitized to stuff like that but as Pandora said some professions are and should be held to a higher standard.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzybeth
    So Jacobi would it still be funny if your child's preschool teacher decided to put on their myspace that John Karr was their hero...as a joke?
    That's a bit of a straw man as there's a big difference between real-life sociopaths like Karr and fictional larger-than-life characters like Leatherface!

Quote Originally Posted by lizzybeth
    It was in poor taste. I realize that people in his profession along with doctors, EMT's etc. become desensitized to stuff like that but as Pandora said some professions are and should be held to a higher standard.
    I can understand it was in poor taste, but one has to understand it was a joke gone awry and imo certainly not deserving of a suspension! I do agree that with some professions, people should be held to a higher standard. They should know better than to put their private life up for public consumption, knowing it could adversely affect their job and their profession as a whole.

I find it offensive because you would think having to witness such horrible images in his 'real life' he should find ZERO humour in such violence. We know an officer that works for the sexual assault dept in downtown Vancouver, B.C. and I assure you he doesn't find it funny.

Jubie

Quote Originally Posted by jubie
    I find it offensive because you would think having to witness such horrible images in his 'real life' he should find ZERO humour in such violence. We know an officer that works for the sexual assault dept in downtown Vancouver, B.C. and I assure you he doesn't find it funny.
    Jubie
    Sometimes humor is the best defense when working in such conditions. I do agree that this all went a bit far, and obviously the officer wasn't "thinking" but I can understand where the attempt comes from.
    Rest in peace little Marcus.

Where is Jaycee Lee Dugard?