778 users online (109 members and 669 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Girl with gun in car expelled

Here is an interesting story. Should there be leniency?

http://www.sunherald.com/mld/sunherald/15747016.htm

Girl with gun in car expelled

Uncle on Picayune school board

By RYAN LaFONTAINE

rlafontaine@sunherald.com

PICAYUNE - Education officials have expelled a 17-year-old girl for stashing a .38-caliber handgun in her car before driving to school, according to the girl's uncle, who sits on the school board.

Duane Wheat, a longtime member of the Picayune School Board, said his niece, a high school senior, needed just two more classes to graduate. He said she was a good student, maintained a high grade point average and was involved in many extracurricular activities.

Wheat said a fight during a weekend party in mid-August sparked a feud, which has played out on personal pages of MySpace.com and cell phone text messages. The quarrel eventually led to his niece packing a Walther pistol registered to her father and driving to school.

"There was a fight and my niece did grab a beer bottle and hit one of the girls and she got in her car and called 911," Wheat said. "She got a lot of threats."

Picayune police discovered the gun in the girl's car on Aug. 24, three weeks after the new school year had begun. She was arrested and charged with possession of a firearm on school property, according to the police report.

Students told the Sun Herald this week that Wheat's niece had posted messages on the Internet, but Wheat disputed that. He said messages were posted about his niece. Law enforcement officials are reviewing at least some of the messages.

Because of news the school board was considering allowing the girl back in school, many parents and other students have been living in fear for weeks, wondering whether the girl would return and whether tensions on campus would reach a boiling point.

Zero tolerance from me. No student has any right to arm themselves on school property, period. If she was so afraid she should have told the school or gone to the police.

Jubie

I certainly hope they don't let this girl off---There are kids who have been in trouble for carrying Midol and cough drops in school because they are "drugs".

This girl is obviously already a loose cannon--she grabs her BEER BOTTLE and hits someone with it? Sounds like she's definately one person who shouldn't be having access to a firearm, especially at a school.

Cut this one no slack, before she really harms someone. Sounds like a real loose cannon to me too. Do you care who her uncle is and on what board he sits? I sure don't.

And the gun was registered to daddy dearest I don't care if the kids was 7 or 17, they have no business having access to a firearm.

I am from the town where this happened and she was treated no different and has been expelled. the small town rumor mill was running. this is a town that does a lot of talking. my husband works for the school so I do know this is fact
    http://www.picayuneitem.com/siteSear...286124939.html

Of course she should be expelled! Around here it would have been a slam dunk expulsion, rightly so, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by 2sisters
    I am from the town where this happened and she was treated no different and has been expelled. the small town rumor mill was running. this is a town that does a lot of talking. my husband works for the school so I do know this is fact
    http://www.picayuneitem.com/siteSear...286124939.html
    This quote by the uncle in the article above is absolutely ridiculous:

<SNIP>
    He said his niece had no plans of using the gun at school.

“She wasn’t planning to do anything with the gun, she only had the gun in there if this bunch had gotten after her,” Wheat said. “With the school security officers and administration, I feel the Picayune school is still probably one of the safest schools in the state of Mississippi.”

<UN-SNIP>

What?!? What was she going to do... HIT them with it?!?!? She brought it because she intended to use it if given half the chance....

“Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.” Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sr.

I believe this girl should absolulty be expelled. She most deffinitly is a safety risk to the school and herself. As she demonstarted anger and impulse control problem with this incident using the beer bottle. Here is were I think the expolusion should come with criteria. She needs to finish her high school education. This should be done on home study or via correspondence classes. This should be mandated. She needs to attend therapy and anger manger classes this should be mandated too. I feel just kicking her out of school with no reabilitative agenda is determental to her and not in the best intrest of society. Zero tolerance for guns on school property.

mj

Quote Originally Posted by mjak
    I believe this girl should absolulty be expelled. She most deffinitly is a safety risk to the school and herself. As she demonstarted anger and impulse control problem with this incident using the beer bottle. Here is were I think the expolusion should come with criteria. She needs to finish her high school education. This should be done on home study or via correspondence classes. This should be mandated. She needs to attend therapy and anger manger classes this should be mandated too. I feel just kicking her out of school with no reabilitative agenda is determental to her and not in the best intrest of society. Zero tolerance for guns on school property.

mj
    I agree with this 100%.
    There needs to be some follow through on this incident and whatever the situation is needs to be defused. But she should not be able to attend classes at the school. She should be given some sort of correspondence or test out or what ever to get her diploma and thereapy ect. to try to salvage this girl.
    Just because she can't go to school doesn't mean she can't harm someone else or herself if this situation isn't looked into.
    Her parents need to be looked into on how easily she obtained the gun.
    Messages need to go out to both parents and students that this will not be tolerated.
    My son and daughter in law are teachers, these things really scare me.
    IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRose99
    This quote by the uncle in the article above is absolutely ridiculous:

<SNIP>
    He said his niece had no plans of using the gun at school.

“She wasn’t planning to do anything with the gun, she only had the gun in there if this bunch had gotten after her,” Wheat said. “With the school security officers and administration, I feel the Picayune school is still probably one of the safest schools in the state of Mississippi.”
    <UN-SNIP>

What?!? What was she going to do... HIT them with it?!?!? She brought it because she intended to use it if given half the chance....
    thats b/c he is a ridiculous person. i was upset when I heard this happend, my husband teaches at this school and it worried me. They did follow handbook though (thank god, b/c this town runs on nepotism) and she has not attended classed since it happened. Pople were upset b/c of who she was and then people just started talking. She was a very promising girl and she has ruined her life and thats a shame. If she was that threatened by these girls then she should have went to the principal or proper authorities.

I believe this is an example when we (Society) is given the opportunity to step in and change the path of a young person who is showing all the signs that may leed to the horrible school shootings we have been experiencing. This is the time to intercede by reabilitative methods so this girl gets her life on track and becomes a productive member of society and not another horrible statistic. That is why I think it is so important that she is not just expelled with no reabilitatiave measures in place. IF we just expell this kid with no recourse we have failed in our roles as adults.

mjak

Quote Originally Posted by 2sisters
    thats b/c he is a ridiculous person. i was upset when I heard this happend, my husband teaches at this school and it worried me. They did follow handbook though (thank god, b/c this town runs on nepotism) and she has not attended classed since it happened. Pople were upset b/c of who she was and then people just started talking. She was a very promising girl and she has ruined her life and thats a shame. If she was that threatened by these girls then she should have went to the principal or proper authorities.
    I disagree with this. Thank goodness she did not use that gun and it was found by athorities. This gives us adults the opportunity to intercede and set this girl back on a positive and succesful path. At the age of 17 she should not be written off as ruined. We can use her as an example to show other teens in trouble there is help out there and there are alternatives. She needs to continue her education not in school, get counseling, anger management, her home life needs to be examined by social services, she needs our help. If we regard her as a runied life we are reconfirming the hoplessness of so much of our youth today which sets them on the road to do horrible desperate things like school shootings. We need to turn this grils life around, not toss her out.

mjak

You are right but won't this incident follow her to college and to her next high school? I mean this really has to change the course her life was on. Ther is no way she can go back to this high school. Most of the people in Picayune want to ride her out of town on a rail. I mean people actually picketed about her at the school board meeting. I have heard that her and her family has been threatened ( I can't verify that, it is a rumor probably).

when this all started her identity was being protected b/c she was a juvenile. She was outed by the woman who lost to Duane Wheat when she ran against him in the last school board election. It would have come out eventually i am sure but this woman ran a dirty election from the start and doing that was absolutley childish. Her is the pIcayune forum about this incident if you are interested.
    http://community.cnhi.com/eve/forums...45/m/232108684

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast