Hospital mistake paralyzes new mom

Dark Knight

Reaction score

(The) hospital that gave lethal doses of a drug to three premature babies has made another medication mistake, giving a new mother a painkiller 10 times faster than intended and making her temporarily unable to walk.

Amber Baise, 18, of Indianapolis, who received the painkiller during childbirth, has regained some movement in her legs as she recovers from what Methodist Hospital on Friday called a doctor's mistake.

"We remain hopeful that she will receive a full recovery. That is our hope. That is our commitment," said Bill Stephan, a spokesman for Clarian Health Partners, which operates Methodist and Indiana University's hospitals.

Baise entered Methodist on Oct. 8 to give birth to her first child and a doctor started her on an epidural. An improperly programmed pump gave her 10 hours worth of painkiller in just one hour.

Baise delivered a healthy girl.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/medication_mistake&printer=1

Dark Knight said:

(The) hospital that gave lethal doses of a drug to three premature babies has made another medication mistake, giving a new mother a painkiller 10 times faster than intended and making her temporarily unable to walk.

Amber Baise, 18, of Indianapolis, who received the painkiller during childbirth, has regained some movement in her legs as she recovers from what Methodist Hospital on Friday called a doctor's mistake.

"We remain hopeful that she will receive a full recovery. That is our hope. That is our commitment," said Bill Stephan, a spokesman for Clarian Health Partners, which operates Methodist and Indiana University's hospitals.

Baise entered Methodist on Oct. 8 to give birth to her first child and a doctor started her on an epidural. An improperly programmed pump gave her 10 hours worth of painkiller in just one hour.

Baise delivered a healthy girl.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/medication_mistake&printer=1

:banghead: :banghead: This stuff makes me so mad!

Good grief. Seems like there should be some checks and balances in place. IN rereading this article, I wonder if there are going to be any long term effects? Sounds as though it will wear off and all will be right again?

This stuff scares me to death. Paige has just been transferred to intermediate ICU and I wasn't comfortable with the nurses.It could be confusion over a patient with so many meds or it is a Mom's worry.

Things happen especially with new doctors in teaching hospitals. Is this gal in a teaching hospital?

concernedperson said:
This stuff scares me to death. Paige has just been transferred to intermediate ICU and I wasn't comfortable with the nurses.It could be confusion over a patient with so many meds or it is a Mom's worry.

Things happen especially with new doctors in teaching hospitals. Is this gal in a teaching hospital?
It sounds like this particular hopsital has problems, I wouldn't worry TOO much, since GOd has gotten her through so far! If you are truly worried about her nurses, be sure to tell someone or have her transferred.

Dark Knight said:
It sounds like this particular hopsital has problems, I wouldn't worry TOO much, since GOd has gotten her through so far! If you are truly worried about her nurses, be sure to tell someone or have her transferred.

Thanks, you are right. Just having an anxious moment...will be there in the morning and will check out things further. I think it is me right now.

I hope this mom will be OK and I think she will. It almost sounds like an allergic reaction and certainly temporary.But totally scary to endure.

Methodist Hospital in Indy is suppose to be one of the top hospitals in the state. I don't know what is going on there, but the state board of health and JCAHO are going to come down on them like a ton of bricks.

Methodist is the only Level 1 trauma center in Indiana. It is where the Indy 500 drivers are taken to if they crash.

I sure hope they get their act together at Methodist, or they are going to be in some big trouble in the PR department.

deespoohbear said:
Methodist Hospital in Indy is suppose to be one of the top hospitals in the state. I don't know what is going on there, but the state board of health and JCAHO are going to come down on them like a ton of bricks.

Methodist is the only Level 1 trauma center in Indiana. It is where the Indy 500 drivers are taken to if they crash.

I sure hope they get their act together at Methodist, or they are going to be in some big trouble in the PR department.
Oh wow interesting. Thanks for that info.

deespoohbear said:

The babies aren't born in the trauma unit, and birthing seems to be where their problems are this year, so that doesn't mean much. It's been ridiculous. The state board of health can close them down for all I care and give their little trauma certification to someone else. Sheesh.

ETA: Since you brought trauma units into it, I think Ft. Wayne's Parkview Hospital should try to upgrade from Level 2 to Level 1 trauma, as Indy is a long ways for people in the northern part of the state, even by medical helicopter, and there aren't even any other level 2's in the NE part of the state besides them.

Sorry, back on topic, lol.

Wouldn't you think they'd be more careful???? The prices the hospitals charge these days for care........there is honestly no reason these errors should ever happen. It makes me boil!

I rememebr having my babies and getting the epidural. The 1st dose didn't work and I begged for more but the anestesiologist made me wait b/c of things like that. I see hers was on a pump though, mine was administerd by the anestsiologist by hand into the epidural line. Maybe that is the better way then to put it on a pump and leaving. He even stayed in the room for about 5min after watching me.

Dark Knight said:
The babies aren't born in the trauma unit, and birthing seems to be where their problems are this year, so that doesn't mean much. It's been ridiculous. The state board of health can close them down for all I care and give their little trauma certification to someone else. Sheesh.

ETA: Since you brought trauma units into it, I think Ft. Wayne's Parkview Hospital should try to upgrade from Level 2 to Level 1 trauma, as Indy is a long ways for people in the northern part of the state, even by medical helicopter, and there aren't even any other level 2's in the NE part of the state besides them.

Sorry, back on topic, lol.

I live in the Fort Wayne metro area, and I am an RN. The reason I have heard that Parkview can't get a Level 1 trauma certification is for the fact that they can't get the neurosurgeons to agree to be on call in the hospital 24 hours a day, which I think might be an requirement for Level 1. But I am not sure though if that is the real reason. You know how rumors can fly. The requirements for being Level 1 is much stricter than Level 2 though. Here is a link if any anyone is interested.

http://www.amtrauma.org/news/news_detail_597.html

I have also heard that Lutheran is going for Level 2 trauma certification. If the state of Indiana ever enacts a state wide trauma system, it pretty much mandates that trauma victims be transported to the nearest certified trauma center, even if it means bypassing another hospital. Ohio has such a system, and I think Michigan does too.

I have to leave now for an appointment. This has been an interesting discussion though.

My epideral only took on one side. So I could feel half the pain. Better than nothing, but a huge disappointment. I didn't want any drugs at all, and didn't have one with my first child. But, my second child took 22 hours of labor and I was in a lot of pain.

Dark Knight said:
The babies aren't born in the trauma unit, and birthing seems to be where their problems are this year, so that doesn't mean much. .

Correct IF the trauma unit and the OB/peds unit use different med check algorithms. If they use the same ones, this problem could easily propagate.
Medication errors drive me nuts, since they are easily preventable.

BTW, the epidural overdose should resolve without sequelae. Respiratory depression from the fentanyl (opiate) and seizures from the Marcaine (local anesthetic) which diffuses into the spine fluid space and on up to the brain are the life-threatening concerns (assuming they use both - they can be used individually). Inability to walk is transient and reversible.

crypto6 said:
Correct IF the trauma unit and the OB/peds unit use different med check algorithms. If they use the same ones, this problem could easily propagate.

BTW, the epidural overdose should resolve without sequelae. Respiratory depression from the fentanyl (opiate) and seizures from the Marcaine (local anesthetic) which diffuses into the spine fluid space and on up to the brain are the life-threatening concerns (assuming they use both - they can be used individually). Inability to walk is transient and reversible.

This is what i was wondering.Thank you for this info.

This is soooo sad. this hospital should be forced to close their doors. nobody is going to feel safe going there. and they should, you are most vulnerable when you are sick and whos going to feel safe there?

If you wanna feel safe, a hospital is not the place to go lol
I imagine it's the same everywhere.
Stuff like this probably happens all the time because nurses and doctors are overworked...there's not enough to go round...hence the long waiting lists when people are literally dying....

crypto6 said:

Do you have a link that says this will only be transient and reversible effect? The hospital says there is very little information available (due to the fact that this doesn't happen very often) to say what this young lady's long term prognosis will be.

This is soooo sad. this hospital should be forced to close their doors. nobody is going to feel safe going there. and they should, you are most vulnerable when you are sick and whos going to feel safe there?

I doubt if closing the doors to Methodist is going to be the answer. It is a huge hospital, and by closing the doors you will just over flood the other Indy area hospitals. The hospital needs to seriously re-evaluate their policies and put into action an aggressive plan to prevent this from happening again.

Of course, as long as humans are working as doctors, nurses, and other healthcare workers, there are going to be mistakes made. Unfortunately, nothing has been invented yet to keep us from making mistakes any area of life.

deespoohbear said:
Do you have a link that says this will only be transient and reversible effect? The hospital says there is very little information available (due to the fact that this doesn't happen very often) to say what this young lady's long term prognosis will be.

I doubt if closing the doors to Methodist is going to be the answer. It is a huge hospital, and by closing the doors you will just over flood the other Indy area hospitals. The hospital needs to seriously re-evaluate their policies and put into action an aggressive plan to prevent this from happening again.

Of course, as long as humans are working as doctors, nurses, and other healthcare workers, there are going to be mistakes made. Unfortunately, nothing has been invented yet to keep us from making mistakes any area of life.

I would start here:

Basics of Anesthesia by Robert K. Stoelting, Ronald D. Miller
Textbook Hardcover - Fourth Edition
ISBN: 044306573X
Pub. Date: January 2000

Pharmacology and Physiology in Anesthetic Practice
by Robert K. K. Stoelting Textbook Hardcover - REV
ISBN: 0781754690
Pub. Date: October 2005

Both are peer-reviewed and recognized as authoritative texts.
NLM's chez med has great reviews of definitive articles from refereed journals.

There are no good links that I can find to authoritative web sites except subscriber access to online journal and book printings. You might find some unrefereed blogs dealing with this; caveat emptor.

I have treated some of these epidural overdoses as well as inadvertent doses into the CSF (spinal anesthesia); they do reverse since the agents are easily metabolized. Prevention of complications while they do so is the treatment.
The hospital is playing CYA; if they don't know how to recognize and deal with complications of epidurals, they shouldn't be doing them.

As to your observation about humans and error: this seemingly simple and obvious insight is finally becoming forefront, and training modeled on aviation safety is being introduced.

Thanks for your interest.

Crypto6

narlacat said:
If you wanna feel safe, a hospital is not the place to go lol
I imagine it's the same everywhere.
Stuff like this probably happens all the time because nurses and doctors are overworked...there's not enough to go round...hence the long waiting lists when people are literally dying....
I agree with you here Snarla!! :blowkiss:

With all the cutbacks, therefore resulting in lack of resources, many medical staff are way overworked, it is no wonder mistakes are made. How many times do we hear that after they have worked their normal shift, they are then expected to turn into Superman/Women and carry on working through the next shift? Hence the reason why it is getting harder to recruit trainee nurses in the UK, and why qualified nurses are leaving the UK to work in other countries where they don't have this problem AND get better pay!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back