UK - Joe Geeling, 11, stabbed to death, Bury, 1 March 2006

Floh

Former Member
Reaction score
A 15-year-old has pleaded guilty to the murder of an 11-year-old boy who was stabbed to death and dumped in a Greater Manchester park.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/manchester/6045672.stm

Apparently the now 15 year-old Michael Hamer said he did it because "he wanted someone else to know what it was like to be bullied".

Alistair Webster QC told the court that another letter found at Hamer's house expressed a sexual interest in Joe. Hamer said the letter was a "wind-up", but Mr Webster said the killer had still not fully explained what had happened.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-13547199,00.html

Senseless. totally.

he's probably walking the streets in 5 or so years, but why would anyone think this person can be rehabilitated? :furious:

This boy was fourteen years old. Didn't anyone notice anything about him that would give them concern? I guess in a lot of cases you don't expect someone to so something like then right up until the day they do it.

It really concerns me that he could be out in twelve years. I doubt there will be any type of rehabilitation. He'll probably get out and do something just as horrendous.

Is it just me or does it seem like to anyone else that our young people are committing more and more horrendous crimes? Did we just not hear about it before or is there something that we as parents aren't doing?

I know entertainment (tv, video games, movies) have become more violent but it can't be just that.

lizzybeth said:
This boy was fourteen years old. Didn't anyone notice anything about him that would give them concern? I guess in a lot of cases you don't expect someone to so something like then right up until the day they do it.

It really concerns me that he could be out in twelve years. I doubt there will be any type of rehabilitation. He'll probably get out and do something just as horrendous.

Is it just me or does it seem like to anyone else that our young people are committing more and more horrendous crimes? Did we just not hear about it before or is there something that we as parents aren't doing?

I know entertainment (tv, video games, movies) have become more violent but it can't be just that.

He'll be 27 when he gets out. he'll have learned plenty inside.

him being relased doesn't make me feel confident about the safety of those who may cross his path in the future.

i think young people are committing more and more horrendous crimes and it isn't only media reports making it sound as though there is more.

society is more dangerous, i believe. there are young people growing up without a care for others.

lizzybeth said:

I actually think we hear more about these types of crime because of the nature of media in our lives today. I personally think society is less dangerous today than it was 100 or even 50 years ago.

The case at issue is very sad. I personally am not ready to give up on a 14-year-old, but I agree that the idea of him back out on the streets in 12 years is a frightening one. Most young perpatrators only seem to harden during incarceration and to learn how to become even more deviant.

My prayers for the victim's family and my prayers that if this child is ever released from prison, some rehabilitation will have taken place.

That is so horrific.

I don't think 14 y/o's can be rehabilitated...but they are immature, and incredibly stupid at times. I think it depends upon the child and the reason for the killing. This one doesn't sound like there's much hope...he wanted to inflict pain on somebody else, to the point of death.

This Hamer looks a lot more mature physically than age 15. Post pubescent and wanting to have sex with this 11 year old who has a disability makes me just crawl with anger. I am so surprised the headmaster said he was normal, as he doesn't even appear normal to look at!

Euftameta, it just makes my skin crawl to think of what this kid did to that younger boy. Awful

Scandi

scandi said:
This Hamer looks a lot more mature physically than age 15. Post pubescent and wanting to have sex with this 11 year old who has a disability makes me just crawl with anger. I am so surprised the headmaster said he was normal, as he doesn't even appear normal to look at!

Euftameta, it just makes my skin crawl to think of what this kid did to that younger boy. Awful

Scandi

I just went to the site and you are right. This guy appears way older. After seeing the little victims picture I just can't read the story of what happened to him.
I agree this guy will just go on to do more horrendous acts when he's released.

A patheticly sad case, I agree Montana. Hey, are you really from Montana? I always used to go to the Miles City Buckin' Horse Sale.

Scandi

southcitymom said:
I actually think we hear more about these types of crime because of the nature of media in our lives today. I personally think society is less dangerous today than it was 100 or even 50 years ago.

The case at issue is very sad. I personally am not ready to give up on a 14-year-old, but I agree that the idea of him back out on the streets in 12 years is a frightening one. Most young perpatrators only seem to harden during incarceration and to learn how to become even more deviant.

My prayers for the victim's family and my prayers that if this child is ever released from prison, some rehabilitation will have taken place.

It sounds to me like he is already a hardened criminal.

SewingDeb said:
It sounds to me like he is already a hardened criminal.
I agree. It is an exceptionally personal and violent crime to be committed by such a young boy. It also sounds like his violent nature is deeply connected to his sexuality and that is a difficult, if not impossible on this Earth, thing to "change."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back