NY - Stanley Rabinowitz, 59, & Katie Flynn, 7, killed by drunk driver, 2 July 2005

Gina_M

Reaction score
Website
www.findmywayhome.org
Hope I am posting this in the right place...

Murder verdict in New York DWI crash

When Martin Heidgen drove into oncoming traffic after a night of heavy drinking, drivers flashed their headlights and honked their horns to warn him, prosecutors said.

When the 25-year-old continued, hitting a wedding limousine and killing a chauffeur and a 7-year-old flower girl, he showed a "depraved indifference to human life" that qualified his actions as murder, jurors ruled Tuesday.

More at link:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061018/ap_on_re_us/wedding_crash;_ylt=AiWIisoTa0GSUYOIMzbIwtZvzwcF;_ylu=X3oDMTA0cDJlYmhvBHNlYwM-

I think that this conviction is even too good for him but, it is about time that we see a DWI perp truely get punished. One of my best friends was hit by a drunk driver in 1982. She was only slightly injured but, he boyfriend was decapitated. I think it is one of if not the saddest memory of my life. The guy that hit them got community service!

I have a difficult time even reading about this story anymore. When police and rescue crews responded to the scene, Jennifer (the mom) was cradling her daughter Katie's head (she was decapitated). They had to coax and sedate Jennifer in order to get her to give them her daughter's head.

The jury had a really difficult time reaching a decison and many of them cried when their decision was read aloud. There are no winners in this case. While Martin's actions were obviously inexcusable, I am sure he too will be haunted by this for the rest of his life.

Feb 28, 2007 7:41 pm US/Eastern

Victim's Father Berates Judge For Not Imposing Maximum Sentence

MINEOLA, N.Y. (CBS/AP) ― Martin Heidgen was convicted of murder when he drove head-on into a wedding limousine after some heavy drinking, killing two people.

The father of a 7-year-old flower girl, killed along with a chauffeur when a drunken driver plowed into their limousine after a family wedding, angrily branded a judge as cowardly Wednesday for opting not to impose the maximum sentence in the case.

Although Martin Heidgen was convicted of two counts of murder, acting state Supreme Court Justice Alan Honorof sentenced him to 18 years to life in prison -- significantly less than the 25 years to life requested by prosecutors and the victims' families.

Neil Flynn, whose daughter died in the July 2005 crash, grimaced in disappointment at the sentence before blasting the judge outside the courtroom.

"That judge just did the worst thing he possibly could have done -- he compromised," Flynn said. "He took a coward's way out. He didn't step up and punish the criminal the way he needed to be punished."

More at link
http://wcbstv.com/topstories/dwi.murder.trial.2.242472.html?detectflash=false

My heart breaks for this childs family. I can't imagine the horror mom has to live with and guess what...its for far more than 18 years. SHe will never, ever forget craddling her child's head in her arms. BUt this get's out of jail before mid life crisis sinks in :( what a shame. Shame on the judge. I'm sorry, I understand he did sentence the man far harsher than most DWI's, but still, SHAME on that man. That little girl was 7 years old. What the judge didn't think she would be alive 18 years from now if she had the chance?? it's sickening.

omg.......

i.....jeesh i cant even come up with words typing here.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Quincy_M.E.
Back