1176 users online (167 members and 1009 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Taking the veil

I would like to see this woman take the veil right out of Britain and into a country which lives by middle-aged principles. surely she would feel more comfortable?

when you live in a country, you abide by it's culture, IMO!

Aishah Azmi, the Muslim teaching assistant who refused to remove her veil during lessons, has won her employment tribunal case for victimisation.
    But the woman, who was suspended on full pay, lost her claims for discrimination and harassment, Kirkless council said.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...237944,00.html

Being awarded 1,100 (2,065.35 USD) for "injury to feelings" after she succeeded in her claim of victimisation is ludicrous!

should children be 'taught' by women in veils? i don't happen to think so.

Much more detailed story with a bit of background from the BBC:

Headfield Church of England Junior School, which has 546 pupils, suspended Ms Azmi because it said pupils found it hard to understand her during lessons.

much more detailed story with a bit of background from the BBC:

Headfield Church of England Junior School, which has 546 pupils, suspended Ms Azmi because it said pupils found it hard to understand her during lessons.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...rd/6066726.stm
    Last edited by Floh; 10-19-2006 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Fuller story

Quote Originally Posted by Floh
    I would like to see this woman take the veil right out of Britain and into a country which lives by middle-aged principles. surely she would feel more comfortable?

Aishah Azmi, the Muslim teaching assistant who refused to remove her veil during lessons, has won her employment tribunal case for victimisation.
    But the woman, who was suspended on full pay, lost her claims for discrimination and harassment, Kirkless council said.

Being awarded 1,100 for "injury to feelings" after she succeeded in her claim of victimisation is ludicrous!

I must be missing something here.
    Certainly when she was interviewed she was veiled? Did the topic not come up?
    Or did she show up to the interview unvieled which IMO would be misleading..

Floh why don't you think she should teach vieled?
    I don't see how that would affect her teaching ability??

Quote Originally Posted by Amraann
    I must be missing something here.

Floh why don't you think she should teach vieled?
    I don't see how that would affect her teaching ability??
    Surely communication is all and someone veiled doesn't show their face - their emotions. that's my opinion.

The Prime Minister's concerns over face veils:

Tony Blair has said the wearing of full face veils by Muslim women is a "mark of separation" and made some "outside the community feel uncomfortable".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/6058672.stm

I'm not one to normally agree with Tony Blair, but in this instance i do!

"And then, there's a second issue, which is about Islam itself and how Islam comes to terms with - and is comfortable with - the modern world."

yes.

Hey - i speak as one with a half brother and sister who are Pakistani Muslims and i have every respect for their religion. but not in this instance.

Being awarded 1,100 (2,065.35 USD) for "injury to feelings" after she succeeded in her claim of victimisation is ludicrous!

much more detailed story with a bit of background from the BBC:

I agree.
    I find it very disconcerting when I get in a taxi and the driver doesn't speak English or just a few words here and there.
    It's like, fgs the least you can do is go and learn our language...

How about this idea, Amraann: thinking of school shootings - how do you know the person coming into the school has a right to be there? with all the terrorist threats, how would it be known someone with a complete face covering was the person they claimed to be? how safe is that?

and Britain has just attained the distinction of being the number one hit target for al-Qaeda:

Al-Qaeda has become more organised and sophisticated and has made Britain its top target, counter-terrorism officials have told the BBC.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6065460.stm

And finally, befoe i go to bed with horror in my mind . . . Beslan school hostage crisis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beslan_...hostage_crisis

Couldn't happen in Britain?

How about this idea, Amraann: thinking of school shootings - how do you know the person coming into the school has a right to be there? with all the terrorist threats, how would it be known someone with a complete face covering was the person they claimed to be? how safe is that?

and Britain has just attained the distinction of being the number one hit target for al-Qaeda:

Al-Qaeda has become more organised and sophisticated and has made Britain its top target, counter-terrorism officials have told the BBC.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6065460.stm
    Hey Floh ...Chill.
    I was just asking you a question.
    I don't know how you would know who the person is but my point is if they hired her knowing she wore a veil then they should have thought of that before hiring.

Your not going to catch me defending the Muslims. I personally think the entire region should be turned into a crator.

oh girl

a crator huh? maybe a pkg lot? we're gonna get in trouble if i go on about how and why i think that's just too funny. I'll keep it to myself for now. I'm such an OPEN minded person really, and respect other people's religions and let them believe whatever they want (even tho they're wrong, 'cause mine's the only true one, 'cause if i didn't believe with absolute conviction that mine was the true way, then why bother calling yourself a follower of 'such and such' and then go "well they could be right too" blah blah)
    my point was, i think, i'm so convinced that my God is the one and only then i don't feel to compelled to argue about it. so there. If a woman's veil should be respected as an item of religious significance to her dandy!
    She just shouldn't work for the TSA or anything that would cause a security or health risk to the rest of us. When it comes to homeland security i'm adamant. If however working around someone whose face is covered is just annoying to you, then get over it. People should really try to reach a balance on this thing, geez. Common sense, where'd ya go?

OMG!

I have to reread this thread to see if there are any posts which don't sound appallingly racist and prejudiced!!

imho

in love is exactly right

hard to tell from my words? sorry, but I do feel that way in love. i love my neighbors. I love people of other nations and all religions. i am not racist but you may find me somewhat prejudice. and No tact is not my strong suit.
    i'll admit to being prejudiced toward idiots with twisted ideologys who like to blow up innocent children. that's all. Yes it is contradictory of me to grin at silly jokes about crators and parking lots. i'd never wish harm on anyone of any country of any religion. Same reason i'm against the death penalty. For everyone. Everyone. Terrorists, pedophiles alike. It's not our call. it's His.
    I apologize to anyone i've offended with my twisted sense of humor.
    No death penalty, but i still grin when i hear about some dingbats that blow themselves up a mile from their target, killing noone but themselves. Is it bad of me to think 'one more dead terrorist, not bad'.
    hope that brings a little clarity to all...
    kk

Quote Originally Posted by sandraladeda
    OMG!

I have to reread this thread to see if there are any posts which don't sound appallingly racist and prejudiced!!

imho
    I, too, am dismayed at some of the sentiments expressed in this thread.

I feel that they should abide by the rules of what ever country they are in. If a woman is in their country they have to be veiled to some extent,wether it is a full veil or just something on their head, depending on the country.

Quote Originally Posted by sandraladeda
    OMG!

imho
    How so Sandra?
    Is it racist to expect people to talk English when they want to live in an English speaking country??
    I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Amraann
    She indeed showed up to the interview unveiled. I heard a radio news story about it but can't remember which radio station. My apologies.

About your other question: students apparently found it difficult to understand her because of the veil, because they couldn't read her facial expressions and body language.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast