1085 users online (229 members and 856 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

GA - Nancy Salado-Mayo, 30, killed, 6yo injured by suicidal driver, 4 Oct 2006

ATLANTA A 16-year-old girl counted down her suicide attempt through text messages to a female classmate who had rebuffed her sexual advances before crashing her vehicle into an oncoming car, killing a mother of three and injuring the victim's 6-year-old daughter, prosecutors said.

"She was actually counting down her imminent threat: 'Nine, eight, seven, six ... I'm going to do it," said Paul Howard, the Fulton County district attorney.

The girl, Louise Egan Brunstad, was charged Thursday with felony murder for ramming her family's Mercedes head-on into a smaller Daewoo driven by 30-year-old Nancy Salado-Mayo, a native of Mexico.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,222800,00.html

edited by DP due to copyright infringement

Yes, a life sentence is appropriate.

Hoppy

Burnstad's attorney, Drew Findling expressed the family's sadness over the incident, saying they were all "devastated by this horrible accident and by the death of Mrs. Salado-Mayo and the injuries of her daughter."

OK may I just say, this was no accident she intentionally ran her car into this woman!!!

Sounds a little like Borderline Personality Disorder. Whatever the diagnoses, the girl deserves the full punishment. Resident of Buckhead, huh? Boy oh boy is her life gonna change! ETA, this just really pisses me off. Maybe it's my hormones, but I've had enough of reading about spoiled brat kids who throw murderous fits when they can't have what they want!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah, like threatening or attempting suicide is gonna get her the person she desires. Or like anyone else is gonna want to have anything to do with her after such threats. Does anyone have a brain anymore???? Sorry, just totally frustrated with the stupidity and selfishness of people like this girl, Porco, Shawn Bentley, etc....

I agree s_finch.........what in the world is going on with these spoiled little brats???? This is just sick.......she needs her sorry azz thrown in prison for life. You know her folks had money & probably lots of it............if she was serious about killing herself she needed plan B. The dumb azz her first attempt never worked.

The least the spoiled brat could have done was do the world a service by ramming into a telephone poll, or race off a ravine, or slam into a cliff/wall. Why the H*** did she have to pull an innocent family into her shithole?! Put her behind bars for life, not for a few decades then let her out!
    Last edited by KatK; 10-20-2006 at 08:50 PM.

I wonder what kind of parents this girl had to let her drive a Mercedes and go around sexually harassing another girl.

Her parents probably never cared as long as she wasn't bothering them. JMO
    I'd imagine the car is in the parents name & they will be held responsible. By the time they crawl out of this one they'll wish they'd of paid attention to her. Again JMO

Quote Originally Posted by cheko1
    Her parents probably never cared as long as she wasn't bothering them. JMO
    I'd imagine the car is in the parents name & they will be held responsible. By the time they crawl out of this one they'll wish they'd of paid attention to her. Again JMO
    With all due respect, I think this is presumptious, and I know it's your opinion. (Nothing against you, I just disagree with your opinion) Just because she was driving a Mercedes, doesn't mean her parents didn't care or that they screwed up somehow. You can buy a used Mercedes for less than 10k (this car was a 2003), and they are very safe cars for a teenager to drive. Even if she was driving a new 70k Mercedes, it wouldn't make a difference for me. The person at fault here is the daughter, imo. SHE is the one who made the choices.

This quote from the victim's husband sums it up perfectly for me:

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/atlanta/stories/2006/10/19/1020metteenfatal.html
    At his modest Sandy Springs apartment, Mario Bibiano, Salado-Mayo's husband, was still trying to comprehend what had happened.

"The great suffering that I'm going through now is very difficult," Bibiano said during an interview in Spanish. "If she wanted to kill herself, why did she have to hurt others?"

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMom
    With all due respect, I think this is presumptious, and I know it's your opinion. (Nothing against you, I just disagree with your opinion) Just because she was driving a Mercedes, doesn't mean her parents screwed up somehow. You can buy a used Mercedes for less than 10k, and they are very safe cars for a teenager to drive. Even if she was driving a new 70k Mercedes, it wouldn't make a difference for me. The person at fault here is the daughter, imo. SHE is the one who made the choices.

This quote from the victim's husband sums it up perfectly for me:

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/atlanta/stories/2006/10/19/1020metteenfatal.html
    At his modest Sandy Springs apartment, Mario Bibiano, Salado-Mayo's husband, was still trying to comprehend what had happened.

"The great suffering that I'm going through now is very difficult," Bibiano said during an interview in Spanish. "If she wanted to kill herself, why did she have to hurt others?"

We were just looking at a used Mercedes for under $5K. They are safe and the turbos run for 300k miles and up. I think we don't yet know enough about this family to pass judgment on her parents. But for the grace of God go any of us as parents. We can do our best and our children still can screw up tragically.

Eve

Quote Originally Posted by eve
    We were just looking at a used Mercedes for under $5K. They are safe and the turbos run for 300k miles and up. I think we don't yet know enough about this family to pass judgment on her parents. But for the grace of God go any of us as parents. We can do our best and our children still can screw up tragically.

Eve
    You said what I was TRYING to convey! Thanks!

I agree about the Mercedes being a good car for a teenager. We are looking for one (or a Volvo) for our oldest son. He drives some scary roads to school. Ironically, a friend of his was critically injured in a car accident yesterday afternoon.

I don't care if her parents have 5 bucks or 5 billion. Poor parents can care less about their kids, too. The size of the bank account has nothing to do with parenting or lack thereof, imo.

The thing that bothers me is that her family has obviously "lawyered up." Okay, I would do the same for my child in any situation that was even close to this--but I wonder what the outcome will be. The poor woman in the other car and her family--what would be justice for them?

I just can't see anything but incarceration--even a short term--being fair, since this girl committed a deliberate act of violence. But I think her attorney will dispute and obfuscate the text messaging and make this out to be just a "tragic" accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Texana
    The thing that bothers me is that her family has obviously "lawyered up." Okay, I would do the same for my child in any situation that was even close to this--but I wonder what the outcome will be. The poor woman in the other car and her family--what would be justice for them?

I just can't see anything but incarceration--even a short term--being fair, since this girl committed a deliberate act of violence. But I think her attorney will dispute and obfuscate the text messaging and make this out to be just a "tragic" accident.
    Her Dad's an attorney, so the call to the criminal defense attorney was probably one of the first calls he made- I think it would be natural for him to do that.

I have no problem with the family hiring an attorney- it's one of our rights in this country- but I do hope she is punished severely.

This girl does deserve serious punishment, but what kind of parents would you think she had if they didn't try to get her help? Wouldn't you? I would be seriously concerned with getting her some psychiatric help since she attempted to end her own life, clearly did not consider the possible outcome of her decision, and will now have to face the fact that she is a murderer. I would question a parent who didn't think she needed serious help.

And she killed someone, so of course she needs a lawyer. When your kid is in jail, you find a lawyer because, I assume, even if you are a lawyer, you understand that it is not the best use of your time or good judgement to represent your own child in this horrific case.

Why does her family's income automatically mean that they are neglectful parents?

Quote Originally Posted by angelmom
    Why does her family's income automatically mean that they are neglectful parents?
    There are good and bad parents all over the socio-economic scale!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast