758 users online (113 members and 645 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

FL - Amara Ou, 2, beaten to death by babysitter, Mandarin, 13 Oct 2006

Police: Sitter Fatally Injured 2-Year-Old With Fly Swatter

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Murder charges have been filed against a woman who police say inflicted a fatal head injury on a St. Augustine toddler she allegedly beat with a fly swatter.

Syna Lim is being held without bail on charges of murder and aggravated child abuse.

Syna Lim is being held without bail on charges of
    murder and aggravated child abuse.

http://www.local6.com/news/10116776/detail.html

This B*tch needs slapped with a flyswatter upside her head. I would not ever let someone other than close family watch my kids. But even so, family members are also guilty of hurting kids nowadays. So who in the hell can you trust with your kids?

Yikes, this is terrible, but I have to admit that the flyswatter was my Mom's disciplinarian weapon of choice. It stung like hell, but I have a hard time imagining it could strike a killing blow. So sad for this little girl..
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

I also don't see how a flyswatter can cause "blunt force trauma to the head" with fatal results. She used her fists, or something else other than merely a flyswatter. Lock her up and throw away the key. Give her children to a family that will cherish and nurture them and teach them to be good citizens with exemplary self discipline.

It says she used the WIRE HANDLE of the fly swatter to beat the toddler, not the floppy rubber end used to kill flies. Her own children said she did it to them too.

The thin wire handle (even more than one wire twisted together) is *STILL* not enough to cause fatal blunt force trauma I would think. Not even on a toddler. Kids survive all kids of bumps and bruises from running amok, much less learning to walk. Even a toddler's skull is tougher than that. There is more to this story than we have read, I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by KatK
    The thin wire handle (even more than one wire twisted together) is *STILL* not enough to cause fatal blunt force trauma I would think. Not even on a toddler. Kids survive all kids of bumps and bruises from running amok, much less learning to walk. Even a toddler's skull is tougher than that. There is more to this story than we have read, I'd say.
    I agree with you, KatK . I also dont think a flyswatter would be enough to kill someone. she had to of used something else. This makes me sick , you cant trust anybody with your kids these days.

What if she gripped the wire handle tightly and used it to strike vertical blows with the end of the handle? If she hit the child enough times very, very hard, esp. in a place like the temple, I can see where the child might receive a fatal blow. Evil b*tch!!

The article from the link, http://www.local6.com/news/10116776/detail.html doesn't say that the fly swatter is what was used to inflict the injury to the head....it mentions the fly swatter where they say the marks on the girls thighs resemble the wire handle of a fly swatter. I agree that she used something else to the head....but the article doesn't mention what she might have used to inflick the head injury. That poor precious child! I never left my daughters with anyone but family out of fear for their safety. They think I was seriously over protective, but I think they'll see it clearer when they are mothers themselves!

*snip* from http://www.local6.com/news/10116776/detail.html

Murder charges have been filed against a woman who police say inflicted a fatal head injury on a St. Augustine toddler she allegedly beat with a fly swatter.

Lim reportedly told investigators she could not wake the child from a nap and tried for several hours to reach the girl's parents, but did not call 911 because she did not believe there was an emergency.

Authorities said the two-year-old was brain dead upon arrival at a hospital, and had bruises on her head and limbs.

Police said marks on the girl's thighs resembled the wire handle of a fly swatter, which Lim's own children reportedly told investigators she also used to discipline them.
    Anything I post is just my opinion and intended for entertainment purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom
    Yikes, this is terrible, but I have to admit that the flyswatter was my Mom's disciplinarian weapon of choice. It stung like hell, but I have a hard time imagining it could strike a killing blow. So sad for this little girl..
    So sad for anyone's parents who feel the need to use a weapon to hurt a child. Discipline is supposed to get a child's attention and let him/her know that what he/she is doing is unacceptable/wrong/dangerous. It is not supposed to be a form of corporal punishment, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by nanandjim
    So sad for anyone's parents who feel the need to use a weapon to hurt a child. Discipline is supposed to get a child's attention and let him/her know that what he/she is doing is unacceptable/wrong/dangerous. It is not supposed to be a form of corporal punishment, IMO.
    I agree with you. My Dad used his hand on my bottom one time when I was like 2 years old and he said it wrecked him so bad, he never raised a hand to any of his children (3 girls) again. He didn't have too, though. He commanded our attention with his words.

My Mom was a spanker. Spanking got our attention for about a minute, but not for very long. We respected our Dad more. My Mom often spanked in anger - which never gets you anywhere. She came by it honestly - she was beaten with switches when she was a little girl.

I'm not much for spanking. Once or twice, I swatted my son's bums to get their attention, but I noticed right away that I was more apt to want to spank when I was angry. So I just don't do it. As you said, discipline is not about hurting, but about commanding attention.

I sent the flyswatter story to my Mom and she was mortified! I have long since forgiven her her flyswatter attacks....I think every generation does a little better than the one before and my Mom was a terrific mother considering the situation she came from.

My parents never hit me in my head, though. That is just wrong. I occasionally got the wooden spoon across my heinie but never to my head.

Poor children
    Mean, evil "mom". What was she thinking?
    Rest in Peace to my best buddy and baby, Buster ~ He crossed the Rainbow Bridge on Jan. 3, 2011. I miss you, Buster and love you with all my being.

Quote Originally Posted by PrayersForMaura
    My parents never hit me in my head, though. That is just wrong. I occasionally got the wooden spoon across my heinie but never to my head.

Poor children
    Mean, evil "mom". What was she thinking?
    Absolutely - a swat on the rear or thighs is one thing - striking a child in the head is another thing alltogether.

Quote Originally Posted by englishleigh
    What if she gripped the wire handle tightly and used it to strike vertical blows with the end of the handle? If she hit the child enough times very, very hard, esp. in a place like the temple, I can see where the child might receive a fatal blow. Evil b*tch!!
    The wire handle would bend to the point that you couldn't use it as a lever to strike blows before it caused fatal injuries. (physics)

I can't think of anyway that any part of a flyswatter could cause blunt force trauma. Perhaps the child was tring to get away from the whipping and fell and struck something.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast