FL - Amara Ou, 2, beaten to death by babysitter, Mandarin, 13 Oct 2006

Penelope631

Former Member
Reaction score
Police: Sitter Fatally Injured 2-Year-Old With Fly Swatter

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Murder charges have been filed against a woman who police say inflicted a fatal head injury on a St. Augustine toddler she allegedly beat with a fly swatter.

Syna Lim is being held without bail on charges of murder and aggravated child abuse.

10117046_240X180.jpg

Syna Lim is being held without bail on charges of
murder and aggravated child abuse.

http://www.local6.com/news/10116776/detail.html

This B*tch needs slapped with a flyswatter upside her head. I would not ever let someone other than close family watch my kids. But even so, family members are also guilty of hurting kids nowadays. So who in the hell can you trust with your kids?

Yikes, this is terrible, but I have to admit that the flyswatter was my Mom's disciplinarian weapon of choice. It stung like hell, but I have a hard time imagining it could strike a killing blow. So sad for this little girl..

I also don't see how a flyswatter can cause "blunt force trauma to the head" with fatal results. She used her fists, or something else other than merely a flyswatter. Lock her up and throw away the key. Give her children to a family that will cherish and nurture them and teach them to be good citizens with exemplary self discipline.

It says she used the WIRE HANDLE of the fly swatter to beat the toddler, not the floppy rubber end used to kill flies. Her own children said she did it to them too.

The thin wire handle (even more than one wire twisted together) is *STILL* not enough to cause fatal blunt force trauma I would think. Not even on a toddler. Kids survive all kids of bumps and bruises from running amok, much less learning to walk. Even a toddler's skull is tougher than that. There is more to this story than we have read, I'd say.

KatK said:
The thin wire handle (even more than one wire twisted together) is *STILL* not enough to cause fatal blunt force trauma I would think. Not even on a toddler. Kids survive all kids of bumps and bruises from running amok, much less learning to walk. Even a toddler's skull is tougher than that. There is more to this story than we have read, I'd say.
I agree with you, KatK . I also dont think a flyswatter would be enough to kill someone. she had to of used something else. This makes me sick , you cant trust anybody with your kids these days.

What if she gripped the wire handle tightly and used it to strike vertical blows with the end of the handle? If she hit the child enough times very, very hard, esp. in a place like the temple, I can see where the child might receive a fatal blow. Evil b*tch!!

The article from the link, http://www.local6.com/news/10116776/detail.html doesn't say that the fly swatter is what was used to inflict the injury to the head....it mentions the fly swatter where they say the marks on the girls thighs resemble the wire handle of a fly swatter. I agree that she used something else to the head....but the article doesn't mention what she might have used to inflick the head injury. That poor precious child! I never left my daughters with anyone but family out of fear for their safety. They think I was seriously over protective, but I think they'll see it clearer when they are mothers themselves!

*snip* from http://www.local6.com/news/10116776/detail.html

Murder charges have been filed against a woman who police say inflicted a fatal head injury on a St. Augustine toddler she allegedly beat with a fly swatter.

Lim reportedly told investigators she could not wake the child from a nap and tried for several hours to reach the girl's parents, but did not call 911 because she did not believe there was an emergency.

Authorities said the two-year-old was brain dead upon arrival at a hospital, and had bruises on her head and limbs.

Police said marks on the girl's thighs resembled the wire handle of a fly swatter, which Lim's own children reportedly told investigators she also used to discipline them.

southcitymom said:
Yikes, this is terrible, but I have to admit that the flyswatter was my Mom's disciplinarian weapon of choice. It stung like hell, but I have a hard time imagining it could strike a killing blow. So sad for this little girl..
So sad for anyone's parents who feel the need to use a weapon to hurt a child. Discipline is supposed to get a child's attention and let him/her know that what he/she is doing is unacceptable/wrong/dangerous. It is not supposed to be a form of corporal punishment, IMO.

nanandjim said:
So sad for anyone's parents who feel the need to use a weapon to hurt a child. Discipline is supposed to get a child's attention and let him/her know that what he/she is doing is unacceptable/wrong/dangerous. It is not supposed to be a form of corporal punishment, IMO.
I agree with you. My Dad used his hand on my bottom one time when I was like 2 years old and he said it wrecked him so bad, he never raised a hand to any of his children (3 girls) again. He didn't have too, though. He commanded our attention with his words.

My Mom was a spanker. Spanking got our attention for about a minute, but not for very long. We respected our Dad more. My Mom often spanked in anger - which never gets you anywhere. She came by it honestly - she was beaten with switches when she was a little girl.

I'm not much for spanking. Once or twice, I swatted my son's bums to get their attention, but I noticed right away that I was more apt to want to spank when I was angry. So I just don't do it. As you said, discipline is not about hurting, but about commanding attention.

I sent the flyswatter story to my Mom and she was mortified! ;) I have long since forgiven her her flyswatter attacks....I think every generation does a little better than the one before and my Mom was a terrific mother considering the situation she came from.

My parents never hit me in my head, though. That is just wrong. I occasionally got the wooden spoon across my heinie but never to my head.

Poor children :(
Mean, evil "mom". What was she thinking? :banghead:

PrayersForMaura said:
My parents never hit me in my head, though. That is just wrong. I occasionally got the wooden spoon across my heinie but never to my head.

Poor children :(
Mean, evil "mom". What was she thinking? :banghead:
Absolutely - a swat on the rear or thighs is one thing - striking a child in the head is another thing alltogether.

englishleigh said:
What if she gripped the wire handle tightly and used it to strike vertical blows with the end of the handle? If she hit the child enough times very, very hard, esp. in a place like the temple, I can see where the child might receive a fatal blow. Evil b*tch!!
The wire handle would bend to the point that you couldn't use it as a lever to strike blows before it caused fatal injuries. (physics)

I can't think of anyway that any part of a flyswatter could cause blunt force trauma. Perhaps the child was tring to get away from the whipping and fell and struck something.

That, and (TMI) the toddler's head would be a pulpy, welted, bloody mess if a thin wire had been used repeatedly on it. (I've had a worker in a battered woman's shelter describe to me what an adult woman's body looks like after a beating with an extension cord, it makes pulpy, welty bruises, a thin braided wire would do the same. FTR, I was in the shelter, and the person who had the wounds inflicted gave permission to the worker to give details.) Since the press got enough details to mention welts on the child's thighs, they'd also know that and would be making a huge fuss over it. (I can't see why the prosecution/police would want the detail suppressed, that that might be a possibility...) No, I still say something else was used to inflict the fatal head wounds, a thin braided wire like that is not enough to cause a broken skull, not even in a healthy toddler. (And there is no mention if the child had brittle bone disease.) :( Makes me sick...

Woman beat 2-year-old with flyswatter before killing her; now faces life

Posted: September 4, 2009 - 12:37pmPhotos

WILL DICKEY/The Times-Union

By Paul Pinkham

A Mandarin babysitter will spend the rest of her life in prison following her conviction this afternoon of murdering a 2-year-old girl in her care after beating her with a flyswatter handle.

Jurors deliberated about three hours before finding Syna Lim, 41, guilty of first-degree murder and aggravated child abuse in the 2006 death of Amara Ou of St. Augustine. Prosecutors didn't seek the death penalty, meaning the only possible sentence is life.

Circuit Judge Mallory Cooper scheduled sentencing Oct. 12.

More at link.
http://jacksonville.com/community/m..._babysitter_guilty_of_murdering_st_johns_girl

Baby sitter sentenced to life in toddler’s flyswatter beating death
By Associated Press
Wednesday, October 14, 2009 - Added 199d 1h ago

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — A Jacksonville baby sitter has been sentenced to life in prison after being convicted of murdering a 2-year-old child by beating her with a flyswatter.

A judge sentenced 41-year-old Syna Lim guilty Tuesday. She was convicted last month of first-degree murder and aggravated child abuse in the 2006 death of Amara Ou of St. Augustine. Prosecutors did not seek the death penalty, and life without parole was the only other possible sentence

http://bostonherald.com/news/national/south/view.bg?articleid=1204560

Finally!!! A punishment that is so deserved!!! Justice for this sweet child..

if she beat you in the head repeatedly as a 2 year old?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back