1131 users online (217 members and 914 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vampires a Mathematical Impossibility, Scientist Says

Vampires a Mathematical Impossibility, Scientist Says

Sara Goudarzi
    LiveScience Staff Writer
    LiveScience.com

A researcher has come up with some simple math that sucks the life out of the vampire myth, proving that these highly popular creatures can't exist.

University of Central Florida physics professor Costas Efthimiou's work debunks pseudoscientific ideas, such as vampires and zombies, in an attempt to enhance public literacy. Not only does the public believe in such topics, but the percentages are at dangerously high level, Efthimiou told LiveScience.

Legend has it that vampires feed on human blood and once bitten a person turns into a vampire and starts feasting on the blood of others.

Efthimiou's debunking logic: On Jan 1, 1600, the human population was 536,870,911. If the first vampire came into existence that day and bit one person a month, there would have been two vampires by Feb. 1, 1600. A month later there would have been four, and so on. In just two-and-a-half years the original human population would all have become vampires with nobody left to feed on.

If mortality rates were taken into consideration, the population would disappear much faster. Even an unrealistically high reproduction rate couldn't counteract this effect.

"In the long run, humans cannot survive under these conditions, even if our population were doubling each month," Efthimiou said. "And doubling is clearly way beyond the human capacity of reproduction."

So whatever you think you see prowling around on Oct. 31, it most certainly won't turn you into a vampire.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/200610...says&printer=1

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

LOL!

Why would anyone even use their mathematical intellect to try to disprove vampires?

Of course everyone knows a vampire doesn't make another vampire out of everyone they bite.

Sheesh!

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteWolf
    LOL!

Why would anyone even use their mathematical intellect to try to disprove vampires?

Of course everyone knows a vampire doesn't make another vampire out of everyone they bite.

Sheesh!
    Sheesh is right. I thought they ate once a year. I'm gonna do the math.
    bbl

When I was a kid in the 70s I had a series of books called the Child Craft books. Essentially, they were like fun lessons, like an encyclopedia. Some had stories. They were neat; too bad they aren't published anymore.

Anyway, I remember one of the lessons from the math book had a section on why vampires can't exist mathematically. Same principal -- take the population and see how long it would take everyone to become a vampire (you bite two friends, and she bites two friends, and she bites two friends, etc, etc.). I wonder if this guy read the same Child Craft books?

Anybody else remember those Child Craft books?

I remember the Child Craft books. According to lore, the vampires made very few of their prey vampires like themselves.

Personally, I think there were people who drank blood, for whatever reason, and they scared the rest of the villages.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteWolf
    I remember the Child Craft books. According to lore, the vampires made very few of their prey vampires like themselves.

Personally, I think there were people who drank blood, for whatever reason, and they scared the rest of the villages.
    I read that the myth started when a corpse was dug up and it was bloated people thought the corpse had fed on a person to make there stomaches so full looking. Putting a stake thru the body released the gases and the body would shrink back, making them think the undead had finally been killed.

Hi Mr E,

I remember the Child Craft books. They were orange and hard covers. It was a great series, and with 6 kids in our family, I think they got plumb worn out.

Great old memory.

Scandi

Even without the math, who believes in vampires lol

That's akin to believing in Santa and the Easter Bunny.

Quote Originally Posted by narlacat
    Hello Narlacat,
    Appearantly this man does.Not only does he believe in them,he believes that he is one.

Here is the article link;
    Evidence Leads Investigators To Believe Murder Suspect Thinks He Is A Vampire

Respectfully,
    dark_shadows

IrishMist is offline You can't control the wind - but you can adjust your sails

That's akin to believing in Santa and the Easter Bunny.
    WHAT?? There's no, there's no Santa OR Easter Bunny???? NONE?

NNNOOOoooooo!!

There is a theory that the myth of vampires originated when people were accidentally buried alive. For whatever reason, the deceased was dug up some time after death, and villagers found the corpse to be too life-like to have been dead for long (a blush to the cheek, red lips). Also, there would be evidence of life within the coffin, like scratch marks on the inside lid and bloody fingers (where the "dead" person tried to scratch his/her way out). Being buried alive was not an uncommon occurace back in the day.

Yes, the Child Craft books were hardcover orange books! When I had kids I looked everywhere to buy a set, but never found any, except for a couple here and there at Goodwill or yard sales. Sigh...

Quote Originally Posted by IrishMist
    WHAT?? There's no, there's no Santa OR Easter Bunny???? NONE?

NNNOOOoooooo!!
    I'm sorry Irish, I should have told people to sit down before I told them that lol lol
    I was devastated when I found out too

Quote Originally Posted by dark_shadows
    Hello Narlacat,
    Appearantly this man does.Not only does he believe in them,he believes that he is one.

Here is the article link;
    Evidence Leads Investigators To Believe Murder Suspect Thinks He Is A Vampire

Respectfully,
    dark_shadows
    Hi DS

Geez, it's a weird and wacky world isn't it??

<<"This guy has killed once before, admitted he killed before," said Craig Hedric, Butler County Chief Assistant Prosecuting Attorney. "He's admitted he killed again. Is he capable of killing again? Who knows.">>

This guys got his finger on the pulse......lol
    Take an educated guess you twit!

IrishMist is offline You can't control the wind - but you can adjust your sails
    I'm sorry Irish, I should have told people to sit down before I told them that lol lol
    I was devastated when I found out too
    Yes, Narla, would have been nice to have some warning.

I'm coping the best that I can.

I don't care WHAT type of logic you throw at me...I still believe!!!!
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast