Vampires a Mathematical Impossibility, Scientist Says

Dark Knight

Reaction score
Vampires a Mathematical Impossibility, Scientist Says

Sara Goudarzi
LiveScience Staff Writer
LiveScience.com

A researcher has come up with some simple math that sucks the life out of the vampire myth, proving that these highly popular creatures can't exist.

University of Central Florida physics professor Costas Efthimiou's work debunks pseudoscientific ideas, such as vampires and zombies, in an attempt to enhance public literacy. Not only does the public believe in such topics, but the percentages are at dangerously high level, Efthimiou told LiveScience.

Legend has it that vampires feed on human blood and once bitten a person turns into a vampire and starts feasting on the blood of others.

Efthimiou's debunking logic: On Jan 1, 1600, the human population was 536,870,911. If the first vampire came into existence that day and bit one person a month, there would have been two vampires by Feb. 1, 1600. A month later there would have been four, and so on. In just two-and-a-half years the original human population would all have become vampires with nobody left to feed on.

If mortality rates were taken into consideration, the population would disappear much faster. Even an unrealistically high reproduction rate couldn't counteract this effect.

"In the long run, humans cannot survive under these conditions, even if our population were doubling each month," Efthimiou said. "And doubling is clearly way beyond the human capacity of reproduction."

So whatever you think you see prowling around on Oct. 31, it most certainly won't turn you into a vampire.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20061025/sc_space/vampiresamathematicalimpossibilityscientistsays&printer=1

LOL!

Why would anyone even use their mathematical intellect to try to disprove vampires?

Of course everyone knows a vampire doesn't make another vampire out of everyone they bite.

Sheesh!

WhiteWolf said:
LOL!

Why would anyone even use their mathematical intellect to try to disprove vampires?

Of course everyone knows a vampire doesn't make another vampire out of everyone they bite.

Sheesh!
Sheesh is right. I thought they ate once a year. I'm gonna do the math.
bbl:p

When I was a kid in the 70s I had a series of books called the Child Craft books. Essentially, they were like fun lessons, like an encyclopedia. Some had stories. They were neat; too bad they aren't published anymore.

Anyway, I remember one of the lessons from the math book had a section on why vampires can't exist mathematically. Same principal -- take the population and see how long it would take everyone to become a vampire (you bite two friends, and she bites two friends, and she bites two friends, etc, etc.). I wonder if this guy read the same Child Craft books?

Anybody else remember those Child Craft books?

I remember the Child Craft books. According to lore, the vampires made very few of their prey vampires like themselves.

Personally, I think there were people who drank blood, for whatever reason, and they scared the rest of the villages.

WhiteWolf said:
I remember the Child Craft books. According to lore, the vampires made very few of their prey vampires like themselves.

Personally, I think there were people who drank blood, for whatever reason, and they scared the rest of the villages.
I read that the myth started when a corpse was dug up and it was bloated people thought the corpse had fed on a person to make there stomaches so full looking. Putting a stake thru the body released the gases and the body would shrink back, making them think the undead had finally been killed.

Hi Mr E,

I remember the Child Craft books. They were orange and hard covers. It was a great series, and with 6 kids in our family, I think they got plumb worn out.

Great old memory.

Scandi

Even without the math, who believes in vampires lol

That's akin to believing in Santa and the Easter Bunny.

narlacat said:
Even without the math, who believes in vampires lol

That's akin to believing in Santa and the Easter Bunny.
WHAT?? There's no, there's no Santa OR Easter Bunny???? NONE?

NNNOOOoooooo!!

There is a theory that the myth of vampires originated when people were accidentally buried alive. For whatever reason, the deceased was dug up some time after death, and villagers found the corpse to be too life-like to have been dead for long (a blush to the cheek, red lips). Also, there would be evidence of life within the coffin, like scratch marks on the inside lid and bloody fingers (where the "dead" person tried to scratch his/her way out). Being buried alive was not an uncommon occurace back in the day.

Yes, the Child Craft books were hardcover orange books! When I had kids I looked everywhere to buy a set, but never found any, except for a couple here and there at Goodwill or yard sales. Sigh...

IrishMist said:
WHAT?? There's no, there's no Santa OR Easter Bunny???? NONE?

NNNOOOoooooo!!
I'm sorry Irish, I should have told people to sit down before I told them that lol lol
I was devastated when I found out too :p

dark_shadows said:
Hello Narlacat,:)
Appearantly this man does.Not only does he believe in them,he believes that he is one.:eek:

Here is the article link;
Evidence Leads Investigators To Believe Murder Suspect Thinks He Is A Vampire

Respectfully,
dark_shadows
Hi DS :)

Geez, it's a weird and wacky world isn't it??

<<"This guy has killed once before, admitted he killed before," said Craig Hedric, Butler County Chief Assistant Prosecuting Attorney. "He's admitted he killed again. Is he capable of killing again? Who knows.">>

This guys got his finger on the pulse......lol
Take an educated guess you twit!

narlacat said:
I'm sorry Irish, I should have told people to sit down before I told them that lol lol
I was devastated when I found out too :p
Yes, Narla, would have been nice to have some warning.

I'm coping the best that I can.

southcitymom said:
I don't care WHAT type of logic you throw at me...I still believe!!!!:eek:
Boy, I'm not touching this one with a ten foot pole!
biggrin.gif

WhiteWolf said:

Actually I think you're right, a vampire has a choice to either kill the person or make them into a vampire.

I remember Child Craft. We got them when we got our regular encyclopedia set. I loved those. My mom still has them. Every now and again, I see them in the attic when I go home and I grab one and look at it. I had twelve of them. They had the best stories, and I believe turned me into a life long reader :)

Mr. E said:
When I was a kid in the 70s I had a series of books called the Child Craft books. Essentially, they were like fun lessons, like an encyclopedia. Some had stories. They were neat; too bad they aren't published anymore.

Anyway, I remember one of the lessons from the math book had a section on why vampires can't exist mathematically. Same principal -- take the population and see how long it would take everyone to become a vampire (you bite two friends, and she bites two friends, and she bites two friends, etc, etc.). I wonder if this guy read the same Child Craft books?
Anybody else remember those Child Craft books?

Actually we still have a set! They were the child's component of World Book Encyclopedia, which we also have, to this day. I think ours are from around 1967 or so -- the Child Craft volumes are maroon and off-white. The Fairy Tales volume and Tales of Other Lands volume were ones I read to my kids when they were little in the 90's. I have fond memories of them from my childhood too.

That is really amazing you remember that lesson from the Child Craft book! But I can see why, I also remember the illustrations and stories so vividly from those books!

Eve

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288