802 users online (140 members and 662 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    1,951

    Amish couple sues regarding Homeland Security photo requirement

    http://www.altoonamirror.com/oniWire...&category=News

    In a nutshell, Mr. Doe (not identified to avoid being "shunned") must have his picture made to attain US citizenship--he is Canadian. However, this violates the Old Order Amish directive regarding the "no graven images" commandment. He and his wife are suing under the auspices of religious freedom and violations thereof.
    Apparently, their order also prohibits lawsuits; thus, they are not being identified. They have provided fingerprints, birth certificates, etc. . . .
    It will be interesting to see what happens with this.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Other End
    Posts
    25,761
    I think they are misinterpreting that scripture about graven images. Back in those days they didn't have cameras, and besides, I think the scripture means to not make nay graven images before the Lord, possibly meaning not to worship the image.



    This post is my opinion only, and is subject to making me look totally confused

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,587
    Mr. Doe refuses to be photographed because it is prohibited by his religion but he is willing to file a lawsuit, which is also prohibited by his religion. Isn't that hypocritical?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,641
    Quote Originally Posted by PaperDoll
    I think they are misinterpreting that scripture about graven images. Back in those days they didn't have cameras, and besides, I think the scripture means to not make nay graven images before the Lord, possibly meaning not to worship the image.
    There are MANY things that have changed since the Bible was written and yet billions of people use bits and parts to their convenience today. The Amish are not the only pepple who interpret photos as included in the ban against graven images. If that is the law of the Amish then that is their law. I do agree that filing a lawsuit is somewhat hypocritical but what other recourse do they have?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Dana Point,CA
    Posts
    52,752
    Quote Originally Posted by Maral
    Mr. Doe refuses to be photographed because it is prohibited by his religion but he is willing to file a lawsuit, which is also prohibited by his religion. Isn't that hypocritical?
    Cafeteria Amish?

    I don't think they should be granted an exception. I respect their position, but with that comes certain concessions that have to be made, this is one of them. I think one will find in most religions/cultures, that there are certain limits on choices that are available to others, but that comes with the territory.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    354
    Quote Originally Posted by JBean
    I don't think they should be granted an exception. I respect their position, but with that comes certain concessions that have to be made, this is one of them. I think one will find in most religions/cultures, that there are certain limits on choices that are available to others, but that comes with the territory.
    Exactly Jbean. If having his picture taken is so offensive to him then he has the choice to stay in Canada and follow his religious principles. No one is telling him he has to violate his religious beliefs-they are telling him if he chooses to come to the US then he would need to be photographed-the choice lies with him.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,551
    There is also a scripture that says "let your reasonableness become known to all"....


    The fact that he wants his first act here to be filing a lawsuit speaks volumes.
    The world is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.
    Bertrand Russell

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,384
    I think we bend over backwards in the name of religion. I personally am sick of it.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    7,748
    There shouldn't be an exception made. it's unreasonable to expect it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,021
    Quote Originally Posted by JBean
    Cafeteria Amish?....
    LOL!!!
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    11,210
    Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom
    LOL!!!
    Yeah, I enjoyed that term myself~!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Other End
    Posts
    25,761
    Quote Originally Posted by Becba
    I think we bend over backwards in the name of religion. I personally am sick of it.
    I agree... it gets to be too much... Yes, I believe everyone has a right to their religion, but we also have laws of the land and we are to obey them as well..


    This post is my opinion only, and is subject to making me look totally confused

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    Posts
    7,376
    Quote Originally Posted by JBean
    Cafeteria Amish?
    LOL!!!

    This is ridiculous. The Amish have certainly made concessions to modern living when it comes to safety - IIRC, one family per group can have a phone for emergencies, etc.

    Sounds like he's more a part of our modern culture than he'd like us to believe.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,186

    ...just get in a police sketch artist, and hs/he can...

    ...draw them! LOL

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    6,932
    Quote Originally Posted by beakiebean
    Exactly Jbean. If having his picture taken is so offensive to him then he has the choice to stay in Canada and follow his religious principles. No one is telling him he has to violate his religious beliefs-they are telling him if he chooses to come to the US then he would need to be photographed-the choice lies with him.
    That's so true. They can believe what they want, they just can't expect people to change things to fit their beliefs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast