Amish couple sues regarding Homeland Security photo requirement

Pandora

Reaction score
http://www.altoonamirror.com/oniWire/oniWireDetails.asp?articleID=11277&state=PA&category=News

In a nutshell, Mr. Doe (not identified to avoid being "shunned") must have his picture made to attain US citizenship--he is Canadian. However, this violates the Old Order Amish directive regarding the "no graven images" commandment. He and his wife are suing under the auspices of religious freedom and violations thereof.
Apparently, their order also prohibits lawsuits; thus, they are not being identified. They have provided fingerprints, birth certificates, etc. . . .
It will be interesting to see what happens with this.

I think they are misinterpreting that scripture about graven images. Back in those days they didn't have cameras, and besides, I think the scripture means to not make nay graven images before the Lord, possibly meaning not to worship the image. :twocents:

Mr. Doe refuses to be photographed because it is prohibited by his religion but he is willing to file a lawsuit, which is also prohibited by his religion. Isn't that hypocritical?

PaperDoll said:
I think they are misinterpreting that scripture about graven images. Back in those days they didn't have cameras, and besides, I think the scripture means to not make nay graven images before the Lord, possibly meaning not to worship the image. :twocents:

There are MANY things that have changed since the Bible was written and yet billions of people use bits and parts to their convenience today. The Amish are not the only pepple who interpret photos as included in the ban against graven images. If that is the law of the Amish then that is their law. I do agree that filing a lawsuit is somewhat hypocritical but what other recourse do they have?

Maral said:
Mr. Doe refuses to be photographed because it is prohibited by his religion but he is willing to file a lawsuit, which is also prohibited by his religion. Isn't that hypocritical?
Cafeteria Amish?:)

I don't think they should be granted an exception. I respect their position, but with that comes certain concessions that have to be made, this is one of them. I think one will find in most religions/cultures, that there are certain limits on choices that are available to others, but that comes with the territory.

JBean said:
I don't think they should be granted an exception. I respect their position, but with that comes certain concessions that have to be made, this is one of them. I think one will find in most religions/cultures, that there are certain limits on choices that are available to others, but that comes with the territory.
Exactly Jbean. If having his picture taken is so offensive to him then he has the choice to stay in Canada and follow his religious principles. No one is telling him he has to violate his religious beliefs-they are telling him if he chooses to come to the US then he would need to be photographed-the choice lies with him.

There is also a scripture that says "let your reasonableness become known to all"....

The fact that he wants his first act here to be filing a lawsuit speaks volumes.

I think we bend over backwards in the name of religion. I personally am sick of it.

There shouldn't be an exception made. it's unreasonable to expect it.

Becba said:
I think we bend over backwards in the name of religion. I personally am sick of it.

I agree... it gets to be too much... Yes, I believe everyone has a right to their religion, but we also have laws of the land and we are to obey them as well..

JBean said:
Cafeteria Amish?:)

LOL!!!

This is ridiculous. The Amish have certainly made concessions to modern living when it comes to safety - IIRC, one family per group can have a phone for emergencies, etc.

Sounds like he's more a part of our modern culture than he'd like us to believe.

beakiebean said:
Exactly Jbean. If having his picture taken is so offensive to him then he has the choice to stay in Canada and follow his religious principles. No one is telling him he has to violate his religious beliefs-they are telling him if he chooses to come to the US then he would need to be photographed-the choice lies with him.

That's so true. They can believe what they want, they just can't expect people to change things to fit their beliefs.

PaperDoll said:
I agree... it gets to be too much... Yes, I believe everyone has a right to their religion, but we also have laws of the land and we are to obey them as well..
Render unto ceasar...

I'm sure religions have existed that believe in human sacrifice too - does that give an exemption to our laws about murder? I wonder what Mr. Doe would say about that - or it against his religion as well to answer tough questions.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back