Deceased/Not Found MD - Linda, 21, & Lori Peugeot, 2, LaVale, 22 Sept 1969

kim playfair

Reaction score
Linda and Lori Peugeot were kidnapped from a shopping center September 1969 in Maryland by prison escapee Stanley Hoss. He was later apprehended and confessed to killing Linda and Lori. They have never been found.
http://216.15.229.16/news/full_story.cfm?story_id=16609
A book is being written by Jim Hollock about Stanley Hoss' crimes and each of his victims lives.

Linda Peugeot
Missing since September 22, 1969 from LaVale, Cumberland County, Maryland
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
Age at Time of Disappearance: 21 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'0"; 96 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Blonde hair; blue eyes.
Clothing: Light blue sweater; bellbotton slacks with shoulder straps and a black and white checked blouse.

Circumstances of Disappearance
Linda and her baby daughter Lori Peugeot were last seen on September 22, 1969 in LaVale, MD.

The two were allegedly kidnapped and murdered by Stanley B. Hoss Jr., a convicted cop-killer who grabbed the mother and daughter in the parking lot of the former King’s Department Store in LaVale on September 22, 1969.

Linda Peugeot was a waitress at Warner’s. The bodies were never recovered.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Cumberland County Sheriff's Office

Source Information:
Maryland Missing
Cumberland Times-News
doenetwork.org

Is the father of this little girl still alive and if so they could do a DNA test between Sharon Marshall and him. Also does anybody know where this guy was in prison and if he ever had any connection with FDF while in prison. I know it says that he was found with their car. But I think it is worth looking into because that little girl looks so to much like Sharon.

Floyd's crime timeline
1960 - Breaks into a Sears store in Los Angeles to steal a gun. The alarm goes off and he gets arrested. He is subsequently placed in a youth facility in Preston.
1961 - Was on parole for the break in when he violates his parole by going to Alaska on a camping trip with fellow parolee James Marvin.
June 1962 - Abducts 4 year old from bowling alley and rapes her
July 1962 - Convicted of "Child Molestation" and sentenced to 20 years
March 1963 - Escapes from mental facility where he was sent for evaluation and subsequently robs a bank to supposedly get money to appeal his Child Molestation sentence. Was in a shoot out and shot in the stomach. He survived the operation.
July 1963 - Was sentenced to 15 years at Chillicothe Federal Reformatory in Ohio.
September 1963 - Tries to escape again by hotwiring a truck and crashing through a fence. Subsequently transferred to Lewisberg Pennsylvania.
June 1964 - Transferred to Springfield Missouri Medical Center for prisioners for evaluation
February 1965 - Transferred to Federal Penn in Marion Illionos.
February 1968 - Transferred back to Reidsville GA to finish rape sentence. Meets David Dial who is incarcerated for a drug offense.
November 1971 - Transferred to Federal Penn in Atlanta GA for the Escape Attempt from OH reformatory
November 1972 - Floyd is released to a halfway house
Late January or February 1973 - Attempts to kidnap a young woman from a gas station in Atlanta GA. Before his June court appearance, Floyd dissappears - it is later found out that he bunks with David Dial, assumes the alias Daniel Pittman and begins working for AVIS Car Rentals.

It's odd that Hoss and Floyd's patterns of crime were so similar.

Hoss's crime timeline
September 11, 1969Stanley Hoss, 26, of Tarentum, PA broke out of
the Allegheny County Workhouse in Pittsburgh PA
where he was serving time for a rape conviction

September 19, 1969 Gets pulled over in stolen vehicle. Murders
patrolman Joseph Zenella, 25 durng a traffic
stop in Verona PA.

September 21, 1969 Kidnaps a woman, 20 at a cemetery near her
home in Arnold, PA. He forced her to drive to
Wheeling, WV and released her. Steals a white
sports car. Drives to Cumberland MD

September 22, 1969 Abducts Linda,21 and Lori Mae Peugeot, 2, from a
dept store parking lot in Cumberland, MD

Steptember 19-23, 1969 sightings reported in WV, MD and OH where
held 2 women at gunpoint & carjacked them.

September 23, 1969 Stops at a Jay's Florist in Wellington, OH to
send a dozen yellow roses to Lucille his girlfriend of
Brokenridge PA. FBI in Steubenville OH said Hoss
was last seen heading West on US 40 with a
woman. Reports received (from ??) that Hoss
released the Peugeots but those reports were not
confirmed.

October 4, 1969 Captured in Waterloo, IA

I wonder why Hoss did not tell the autorities where Linda and Lori were if he was not able to be convicted of the crimes why did'nt he just tell. does anybody have any information on if he was asked and what his response was if any. thanks

mel36 said:
Floyd's crime timeline...
February 1968 - Transferred back to Reidsville GA to finish rape sentence. Meets David Dial who is incarcerated for a drug offense.
November 1971 - Transferred to Federal Penn in Atlanta GA for the Escape Attempt from OH reformatory
November 1972 - Floyd is released to a halfway house...
Hoss's crime timeline...
September 22, 1969 Abducts Linda,21 and Lori Mae Peugeot, 2, from a
dept store parking lot in Cumberland, MD

Steptember 19-23, 1969 sightings reported in WV, MD and OH where
held 2 women at gunpoint & carjacked them.

September 23, 1969 ... Reports received (from ??) that Hoss
released the Peugeots but those reports were not
confirmed.

October 4, 1969 Captured in Waterloo, IA

I wonder why Hoss did not tell the autorities where Linda and Lori were if he was not able to be convicted of the crimes why did'nt he just tell. does anybody have any information on if he was asked and what his response was if any. thanks
Your timelines would seem to exclude Floyd from having anything to do with the abduction of Linda Peugeot and her daughter. But it seems very strange that they would have survived their time with the murderer Hoss, and then simply disappear of their own volition.

Hoss seems (in your timeline) to be a man on the run continually, and not someone who kidnapped the Peugeots for any purpose other than his own immediate intentions. Still, one wonders if perhaps he might have had a friend along route 40 with whom he might have left Linda and/or Lori as he fled westward.

To answer your question of why Hoss did not tell - Note that my first post states that Linda and Lori were ALLEGEDLY kidnapped and murdered by Hoss. That would mean that he was never tried/convicted of the crime.

My feeling is that he did not talk because then their bodies would have been found and that would be the evidence needed to convict him. There have been very few murder convictions without a body.

A kidnapping conviction might have been succussfully pursued by Maryland authorities, but it is likely that Pennsylvania authorities wanted him more because he had murdered the police officer.

Floyd's crime timeline
1961 - Was on parole for the break in when he violates his parole by going to Alaska on a camping trip with fellow parolee James Marvin.

March 1963 - Escapes from mental facility where he was sent for evaluation and subsequently robs a bank to supposedly get money to appeal his Child Molestation sentence. Was in a shoot out and shot in the stomach. He survived the operation.

The 1961 trip? I find it hard to believe Floyd and another con just spent some time camping. Anyone know of any missing or unidentified from this time period?

1963 -- Too bad he didn't die. Why'd they have to go and give him an operation?

I put a few theories relating to this and the Sharon Marshall case in the Sharon Marshall thread.

I can't believe he started out in Allegheny County! I live there and this is the first I've heard of this story. Granted, I wasn't born at the time (I'm only 20 now), but after hearing about some other cases in the western PA area I'm surprised I never learned of this one. I also know several people from Verona, PA--I'll have to ask my close buddy from there if his folks ever heard the story (he wasn't born yet then).

Mr. E said:
Floyd's crime timeline

The 1961 trip? I find it hard to believe Floyd and another con just spent some time camping. Anyone know of any missing or unidentified from this time period?

1963 -- Too bad he didn't die. Why'd they have to go and give him an operation?
Mr. E, there was an 11 yr old girl named Karen Lynn Tomkins from Torrance CA that went missing in August 1961, the same month Floyd was released from the Preston Youth Correctional Facility, also in CA.
I contacted the Dept of Corrections to find the exact date of his release but they have not replied. If it was after 8/18/61 we can rule him out.
Karen has never been found.

The crimes he went to Preston for were committed in Los Angeles, literally over the tracks from Torrance -It is possible he went back to familiar territory upon his release. I dont believe his story about camping in Alaska either. What a great way to distance himself from any crimes in the L.A. area.

I spoke with a detective from the Torrance PD and he is working with the LAPD cold case detective in charge of Karen's case. Nothing new as of late. I guess it's time to call and bug them again.

I started a thread here on WS about Karen. The link is:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36329&highlight=karen+lynn+tompkins

Here is a link to her photo:
http://www.unsolved-crimes.com/tompkins.html

Anyone just joining the Sharon Marshall or Linda & Lori Mae Peugeot threads, it would be to your advantage to read the archived Sharon Marshall thread so we can proceed forward from where that thread left off. Many of the questions on this thread have been asked and answered there. Not that we couldn't all use a refresher course. The cases are both quite confusing.

I received the following information from someone who is far more familiar with this case than I am.

Stanley Hoss committed 2 very brutal, disgusting rapes with a man named Richard Surdyk, and for those crimes, he was incarcerated.

He escaped with a man named Thomas Lubresky. They got a ride from a man Lubresky later identified as George Kane to the house of an invalid woman named Amanda Riddle. She gave them clothes and money.

After his subsequent capture, Hoss confessed to police that after he abducted Linda and Lori, he shot Linda Peugeot almost immediately in the side and in the head. She bled out in the trunk of the car. According to police, there were huge amounts of blood in the trunk.

Hoss stated that he drove baby Lori around the country with him for 6 days, the last sighting of her with Hoss was in Fairberry, Illinois.

Stanley Hoss' brother Harold Hoss was living in Chicago when this kidnapping occurred. Harold is also a convicted felon.

Stanley Hoss made 3 trips to Chicago during his run from justice.

Floyd went to the Chicago area and mailed his friend David a postcard from there in 1973, which is the time it was believed that he obtained Sharon.

Lori's birthday is 9/22/1967. Sharon's was always said to be 9/19/1967. Floyd always said Sharon's mother's name was Linda. Floyd has always stated that Sharon is not "missing".

Richard that is interesting. Has this info been sent to the Sharon Marshall investigators?

2sisters said:
Richard that is interesting. Has this info been sent to the Sharon Marshall investigators?
It actually came from one of them.

I wonder if its possible to do a DNA test between Sharnon and Linda? This seems like a very promising lead.

Richard said:
I received the following information from someone who is far more familiar with this case than I am.

Stanley Hoss committed 2 very brutal, disgusting rapes with a man named Richard Surdyk, and for those crimes, he was incarcerated.

He escaped with a man named Thomas Lubresky. They got a ride from a man Lubresky later identified as George Kane to the house of an invalid woman named Amanda Riddle. She gave them clothes and money.

After his subsequent capture, Hoss confessed to police that after he abducted Linda and Lori, he shot Linda Peugeot almost immediately in the side and in the head. She bled out in the trunk of the car. According to police, there were huge amounts of blood in the trunk.

Hoss stated that he drove baby Lori around the country with him for 6 days, the last sighting of her with Hoss was in Fairberry, Illinois.

Stanley Hoss' brother Harold Hoss was living in Chicago when this kidnapping occurred. Harold is also a convicted felon.

Stanley Hoss made 3 trips to Chicago during his run from justice.

Floyd went to the Chicago area and mailed his friend David a postcard from there in 1973, which is the time it was believed that he obtained Sharon.

Lori's birthday is 9/22/1967. Sharon's was always said to be 9/19/1967. Floyd always said Sharon's mother's name was Linda. Floyd has always stated that Sharon is not "missing".
Didn't Floyd say that he rescued Sharon from a bad situation, or something like that? Maybe he felt that taking Lori from this violent Hoss person was "rescuing" her.

itsreenw said:
If they can find the evidence box!!!
Sharon's or the Puegot's? i am sorry, I had quit following the Sharon Marshall case after it was locked and have been working on catching up on the new thread. I vaugley rememerb something about Sharon's blood being missing. Is there DNA on file for the Puegot's?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back