Reese Witherspoon and Husband Split

jaybird

Pop Culture Princess
Reaction score
How sad.

Reese Witherspoon and Ryan Phillipe's rep has confirmed that the couple has split. TMZ reports the statement as saying:

"We are saddened to announce that Reese & Ryan have decided to formally separate. They remain committed to their family and we ask that you please respect their privacy and the safety of their children at this time."

This is poppin up all over the place.

Holy Cow, now for some reason I am really surprised.

michelle said:
I'm not. I'm just surprised that it didn't happen sooner. I believe that they have been in marriage counseling and that Reese has done everything in her power to keep her marriage together.

I think that Ryan has always had difficulty with Reese being the more successful of the two. What a shame.

michelle said:
You know, I guess by Hollywood standards, I'm surprised too. They are an awfully cute couple with adorable children. I was hoping they would make it.

That being said, I'm really not surprised when anyone breaks up anymore.

I agree with you Nan, I'm not surprised at all. Yes, they are a very cute looking couple with gorgeous children, but I've always gotten the feeling that theirs was not a very happy marriage. I applaud them though, for having had marriage counseling through the years. At least they didn't throw in the towel when the honeymoon wore off.

I was hoping these two would be able to make it :( ... I like Reese... It could very well be that Ryan doesn't like her success. Maybe she's away too much...

I am a huge fan of Reese's talent and hoped she and Ryan would pull through. However, I've heard on numerous occasions that her behind the scenes persona is MUCH different from her public one. She is rumored to have pulled major diva attitude especially after she won the Oscar, and from what friends have told me she acted like that in her marriage as well. Who knows what really happened, although I will say that I hate when people say a man can't handle a woman's success I am sure this is true in some circumstances, but always seems to be the reason given when a Hollywood marriage dissolves and the wife makes more money. That seems a bit stereotypical to me to assume the man's ego couldnt' handle it. Just like it bugs me when a Hollywood marriage ends and it is assumed to be the wife's fault b/c she didn't want a family to interfere with her career (see Jennifer Aniston). Maybe Reese became obsessed with success to the detriment of her marriage. Who knows. They both seem like good parents though so I hope they can remain civil for the sake of their children. I hope what I've heard about Reese isn't true though. She is one of my favorite actresses.

i thought they were such a stable couple. But his career didn't really take off while hers is really hot right now so maybe that caused some tension.

I never really followed her private life, but saw her sometime back on Oraph and was very impressed with her... She's is so level headed.

I suspect hubby was cheating. I know that's mean, but gut just tells me that might be the case.

Masterj said:
...I hate when people say a man can't handle a woman's success. I am sure this is true in some circumstances, but always seems to be the reason given when a Hollywood marriage dissolves and the wife makes more money. That seems a bit stereotypical to me to assume the man's ego couldnt' handle it...
The reason that I stated it in my post is I believe that I read years ago that was the reason that they were going to a marriage counselor.

In any case, it is not only Hollywood marriages that break up because a man cannot handle a woman's success. Unfortunately, it happens quite a bit because of some men's fragile egos, I assume...

My husband would love for me to make more money than he. In fact, he would love it if I would work and let him stay at home and do nothing. His ego is definitely not fragile as it relates to this issue! ;)

I always felt like they got married WAY too young to make a go of it - especially in Hollywood. My prayers to their family.

Word on the streets is that he has been cheating on her down in Texas where he is shooting a new movie.

southcitymom said:
...Word on the streets is that he has been cheating on her down in Texas where he is shooting a new movie.
If this is true, I hope that it was worth it to him...

I like her, She is one of my favorite actresses. I like him too. I was hoping they would work but I guess not. I think they will be civil for the sake of the kids. She seems like a great mom.

I have always liked Reese Witherspoon, she seems to have a like-able personality (in movies). I am not familiar with her hubby, I don't even know who he is (ignorance of Hollywood I guess?). I am a little saddened by their splitting and hope they can work through whatever is separating them. I can only imagine in Hollywood it would be so hard to make a marriage work!

nanandjim said:
The reason that I stated it in my post is I believe that I read years ago that was the reason that they were going to a marriage counselor.

In any case, it is not only Hollywood marriages that break up because a man cannot handle a woman's success. Unfortunately, it happens quite a bit because of some men's fragile egos, I assume...

My husband would love for me to make more money than he. In fact, he would love it if I would work and let him stay at home and do nothing. His ego is definitely not fragile as it relates to this issue! ;)

My hubby is the same way... He would have no problameo if I made millions while he spent them.. hehe

PaperDoll said:
My hubby is the same way... He would have no problameo if I made millions while he spent them.. hehe

My dh is the same way. He'd do cartwheels down the street naked if it meant I would make more money than him and he could stay home. He has a healthy ego alright, it's just not tied to who makes more money.

Interesting perspective from a reporter who witnessed a big fight between Reese and Ryan:

Reese Witherspoon and Ryan Phillippe Split: Witnessed

Monday, October 30, 2006

By Roger Friedman

I hate to say it, but I actually witnessed the split between Ryan Phillippe and Reese Witherspoon. The Hollywood couple officially called it quits today.

But two weeks ago, they came to the opening night party for Ryan's performance in Clint Eastwood's "Flags of our Fathers." It was not a pretty scene. Reese was packing away cosmos and chatting happily with just about anyone, but it was clear she was peeved about something.

The party took place in the rooftop penthouse suites of the Soho Grand Hotel, and what I saw next was something I decided not to print at the time. The couple went out on the roof terrace and had a knock-down, drag-out fight. It looked like something from "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?"

My line of vision was partially blocked by a big exhaust pipe, so at different times during the fight they were obscured. But then Ryan would appear, disgusted, on one side of it, and Reese on the other.

More at link:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,226297,00.html

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member