Microchipped: Mark of the Beast?

Floh

Former Member
Reaction score
I haven't had too much concern my country has so very many CCTV cameras - after all, unless you've done something wrong, what's the problem?

but if they say i have to be microchipped as a Briton, then i will most certainly be pursuing German citizenship without question, which i had never considered doing.

i haven't lived on my Island for 10 years now and have never planned on returning to live there, so i'd be losing nothing by swopping nationalities. i believe it would be resisted by this country (Germany) due to its history. they (the people) are against CCTV and it's not much around anywhere which is public property. there are a great many people who lived under the GDR (East Germany) and the STASI - i so very much doubt mictochipping of people would be acceptable at all.

why it would seem Britons could accept such a state of affairs, i really don't understand. :(

Britons could be microchipped like dogs in a decade

Human beings may be forced to be 'microchipped' like pet dogs, a shocking official report into the rise of the Big Brother state has warned.

The microchips - which are implanted under the skin - allow the wearer's movements to be tracked and store personal information about them.

They could be used by companies who want to keep tabs on an employee's movements or by Governments who want a foolproof way of identifying their citizens - and storing information about them.

The prospect of 'chip-citizens' - with its terrifying echoes of George Orwell's 'Big Brother' police state in the book 1984 - was raised in an official report for Britain's Information Commissioner Richard Thomas into the spread of surveillance technology.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/...icrochipped+like+dogs+in+a+decade'/article.do

What are you afraid of if you are a good upstanding citizen, you may ask? that unless i have a microchip i won't be able to buy food . . .

What the heck is going on in England? I was reading the other night that they are going to start fingerprinting people to go into pubs, and if the initial ones go well- they'll be expanding the program to all pubs!!

Now the microchip thing?

I don't think it will fly... will it?

IrishMist said:
What the heck is going on in England? I was reading the other night that they are going to start fingerprinting people to go into pubs, and if the initial ones go well- they'll be expanding the program to all pubs!!

Yes. Prisoners at the bar!

http://www.spiked-online.com/index.php?/site/article/2021/

I don't know what's going on in Britain - but i surely don't like whatever it is! :(

IrishMist said:
Now the microchip thing?

I don't think it will fly... will it?

I can only hope not. :(

Floh, I just found time to read the article at the link you provided... it is scary, thanks for posting this. I hope it doesn't come to pass.

IrishMist said:
Floh, I just found time to read the article at the link you provided... it is scary, thanks for posting this. I hope it doesn't come to pass.
If this is the wave of the future, I will have to find a new place to live. Any of you freedom-loving people from Websleuths can join me...maybe we can find a nearby planet!

Those links - are they reputable sites you know of, or something you were sent?

I'm just wondering - I've seen similar go around about proposals to tax internet email, etc. Sometimes a site like that is a conspiracy site, that is taking something real and warping it beyond all recognition, and other times it's a site like the Onion.

I looked at it - this is one of those scare articles - but the substance, and facts are severely lacking.
Human beings may be forced to be 'microchipped' like pet dogs, a shocking official (official? from where - notice they take awhile to say) report into the rise of the Big Brother state has warned...... (a bunch of stuff which notably has a bunch of "could"s and "might"s in it - not will, not planned, just could - Britan could have a dictator in 2 years - could is just meaningless).

......- was raised in an official report for Britain's Information Commissioner Richard Thomas into the spread of surveillance technology. (OK, this is the official - and apparently he's opposing the surveillance technology, not trying to create a report on how to achieve this Orwellian world - nice trick, turning that around to make people scared the gov't was getting a report on how to do it)

The report, drawn up by a team of respected academics (again - from where? Respected by who?), .....It paints a frightening picture of what Britain might be like in ten years time unless .....

.....(skipping a few examples where a limited use of the chips by private companies is mentioned)... In their Report on the Surveillance Society, the authors now warn: "The call for everyone to be implanted is now being seriously debated." (by who? Where? Nice scary thing, but there is no substance behind it)
...Yesterday Information Commissioner Richard Thomas, whose office is investigating the Post Office, HSBC, NatWest and the Royal Bank of Scotland over claims they dumped sensitive customer details in the street, said: "Many of these schemes are public sector driven, and the individual has no choice over whether or not to take part." (fun context switch here - he's talking about the CCTV cameras, and data being organized, not about people having no choice about the chips but it sounds so much scarier this way)

"People are being scrutinised and having their lives tracked, and are not even aware of it."

Yesterday a spokesman for civil liberties campaigners (note - a nice biased person for the final quote - not a government person, nor a researcher) Liberty said: "We have got nothing about these surveillance technologies in themselves, but it is their potential uses about which there are legitimate fears. Unless their uses are regulated properly, people really could find themselves living in a surveillance society.
"There is a rather scary underlying feeling that people may worry that these microchips are less about being a human being than becoming a barcoded product."
This is just hugely misleading - it talks about some private sector uses of the chips, a report sponsored by one official to find out how worried they should be about maybe stopping or regulating the use of these chips (the 'official report'), which finds no current initiatives to force anyone to be microchipped, but uses fearmongering about the spread of CCTV cameras and databases to suggest that people had no choice there, so we should be scared we'll have no choice with microchips (big difference between having no choice but to walk under a camera, and no choice but to let them implant something under your skin) - then the writers of this article take that even further out of context to suggest that it's already a plan in an official report to forcibly microchip people.

Demagogery at it's finest! Lovely writing to make one gov't official's investigation into whether the gov't should maybe take a hand in protecting people from these microchips, into a sinister gov't plan to forcibly microchip everyone.

Of course, it is an entertainment site, so I guess it does fit.

I don't care. Any country that has cameras everywhere and is going to start fingerprinting you to go into a bar scares me!
eek.gif
Makes me wonder how far they will go...

southcitymom said:
If this is the wave of the future, I will have to find a new place to live. Any of you freedom-loving people from Websleuths can join me...maybe we can find a nearby planet!
Yep, the women will go back to Venus and the men back to Mars...:D

IrishMist said:
I don't care. Any country that has cameras everywhere and is going to start fingerprinting you to go into a bar scares me!
eek.gif
Makes me wonder how far they will go...
The cameras don't scare me - heck, they can't watch every move I make, and if they did, they'd be bored out of their skulls! They're only good to look where a crime happened, and see who. Taking your ID at a bar (didn't sound like the fingerprinting was really real) sounded like one section of one county trying an extreme solution to some problem with thugs drinking - not really an indictment of the whole country.

How far to go - how far not to go - there's a lot to think about there. The DNA database has solved crimes and put killers and rapists behind bars - if it didn't exist, more of them would be free now, killing and raping others. If it was broader, no doubt some more killers and rapists would be caught, and lives would be saved. So, do we DNA everyone? Just convicted criminals? Just those arrested? The same debate happened with fingerprints long, long ago - right now, they use every fingerprint they can get - if you applied for a job with the government and gave them your fingerprints, or were ever arrested, then released w/o charges, then they're found at a crime scene - the gov't can find out. So - what's the difference between the two? Why yes to fingerprints, but no to DNA?

Cameras are the same thing to me - they're in public places - it just automates, and improves eyewitness testimony - the camera is an eyewitness that can't be bribed, can't forget, and is always there.

Privacy will always conflict with our desire to solve crimes, and we need to protect our privacy and rights - but the stakes are too high (a child raped because the rapist wasn't caught the first time) not to really think about what we need to protect, and what we don't.

But most of all - we need to watch out for the fearmongers - they waste our energy on fables and horror stories. They breed distrust out of thin air.

Pharlap said:
Is this for real?
omg micro chipped.......
doh.gif
I don't know how real it is, but anyone with a cell phone now days can be tracked via its GPS system. I sure as heck won't get microchipped! My dogs are only because they might get lost or stolen and can't get home on their own. Me....if I can't be found, its cause I don't want to be. :D

Details said:
Those links - are they reputable sites you know of, or something you were sent?

I'm just wondering - I've seen similar go around about proposals to tax internet email, etc. Sometimes a site like that is a conspiracy site, that is taking something real and warping it beyond all recognition, and other times it's a site like the Onion.

The first link in the first post is a reputable newspaper in London.

the second link i have, i dunno. i had seen the story in reputable papers though. i just did a quick search for Irish to find the story she refered to. i know it was reportd extensively, about the fingerprinting at the pub in reputable British papers.

I have a couple for the pubs doing fingerprinting:

Cnet

The Register

The reason I looked it up online is because I heard a little bit of it on the news, and didn't think I heard right!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Megankd
Back