Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 48

Thread: MD - Kathy Lynn Beatty, age 15, Aspen Hill, July 1975

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,665

    MD - Kathy Lynn Beatty, age 15, Aspen Hill, July 1975

    The following information is also included in the Websleuths Featured Case about Sheila and Katherine Lyon, sisters missing from Wheaton, MD since 1975. Because Kathy Lynn Beatty's case remains unsolved as well, I felt that it should have its own thread here in Cold Cases. Visit the Lyon Sisters Case to read more.

    ---------------------------------------------------

    The Murder of Kathy Lynn Beatty
    Kathy Lynn Beatty, age 15, was abducted on the evening of 24 July 1975 from her Aspen Hill, Maryland neighborhood. She was brutally beaten and left to die behind or near the K-Mart Store near the intersection of Connecticut and Georgia Avenues, a distance of only 3 and a half miles from Wheaton Plaza, where the Lyon sisters were last seen.

    Kathy never regained conciousness, and died on 5 August 1975 in Suburban Hospital of complications resulting from her injuries.

    Her murder has never been solved. Although it has been discussed in this forum as possibly being connected to the case of the missing Lyon sisters, there is no solid forensic evidence which links the two cases. Circumstantial evidence, however, is hard to ignore. It is because of the possible connection between these cases, the close proximity in time and location, and because Kathy's case has also remained unsolved for 31 years that I am starting this thread as part of this featured topic - rather than as an isolated thread in the Cold Case section.

    Kathy's case did not receive the press coverage and widespread interest that the Lyon sisters case did. There was a short article which mentioned the attack on her and that she was still alive and in a hospital. Another short article mentioned her death. A third, more detailed article, appeared in the Washington Post on 6 January, 1977 - 18 months after her abduction and murder.

    In 1975, Montgomery County Police focussed their investigation on neighborhood kids whom Kathy had last been seen with near Parkland Junior High School, only a block or two from her home. Her mother suspected that neighborhood boys might have been responsible, but nothing was ever proven, and no suspects were named.
    In 1987, Fred Howard Coffey, Jr. came to the attention of Montgomery County Police. He had been charged and convicted of multiple child molestation counts in North Carolina and was on trial for the murder of 10-year-old Amanda Ray. He had previous convictions of crimes against children in Virginia, and was a suspect in additional child killings. It was learned that Coffey had been in the Wheaton/Aspen Hill/Gaithersburg area of Maryland in 1975, and police began an extensive investingation on Coffey in regard to his possible connection with the Lyon and the Beatty cases.

    ----------------------------------------
    Kathy Lynn Beatty's 24 July 1975 (a Thursday) abduction and brutal beating was mentioned briefly in a short article in the Washington Post a day or two after it occurred. A later article (also very short) mentioned that she had died of her injuries in Suburban Hospital on 5 August 1975.

    The following article appeared 18 months later and contains much more detail about Kathy's last day and the known circumstances surrounding her abduction, assult, and death. It was accompanied with a copy of a reward poster seeking information. The poster contains a photo of Kathy. At the end of the article was a request for information, a contact number and the offer of a reward.

    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    From the Washington Post Newspaper 6 January 1977
    Maryland Weekly Section, Page 1:

    The Beatty murder: "we have ideas about who was involved"
    By Martha M. Hamilton
    Washington Post Reporter


    The posters are still there, taped to the window of the Aspen Hill barbershop asking for someone to come forward with information to help solve the killing of Kathy Lynn Beatty.


    The police still believe someone will, and her mother prays that it is so. "The police seemed so sure in the beginning that they would find the person responsible, but now I am not so sure," said Patricia Beatty. So far there is no answer to who left her 15-year-old daughter dying from head injuries in the rocky area behind the K-Mart in Aspen Hill.


    Kathy didn't die until 11 days later in the intensive care unit at Suburban Hospital. "The hospital personnel led us to believe that she would be able to talk. That's what we needed - a little break" said Maj. Wayne Brown, Chief of the Criminal Investigations Division of the Montgomery County Police.


    It was July 24, 1975, when Kathy received the fatal blow to her head and was left lying behind the K-Mart at Georgia and Connecticut Avenues. She and her mother and older sister were just back from vacation in Atlantic City. A friend of her mother's was a contender in the millionaire lottery drawing to be held in Baltimore that night, and her mother was going to Baltimore. Kathy and her sister decided to stay home.


    Her mother last saw her about 4 p.m. Kathy had been inside all day watching television, "and she asked me if she could go outside and ride her bike," said Mrs. Beatty. Her mother said she could, invited her to Baltimore again, and told her to fix her own supper since Kathy declined again.


    "I said I would be home at 9. She knew she had to be home by 8:30, because she wasn't allowed out after dark. We said goodbye and she went off on her bike," her mother recalled.


    Instead of 9 p.m., it was closer to 11 when Mrs. Beatty returned, and when she saw the dark house, she was frightened, she said. But when she turned on the lights there was a note from Kathy saying she had gone to a friend's and would be back at 10 p.m. It was raining, and Kathy's mother assumed her daughter was waiting for a ride home.


    She headed for the friend's house, but when she arrived, Kathy wasn't there. "The children said she had been there but had left," said Mrs. Beatty. As it happened, Kathy had not been there at all. "I think they were trying to cover for her".


    At that point, she began to worry again, she said. She called other friends of her daughter until she had only one more to try - a boy on whom Kathy had a crush. The two had been sweethearts in 8th grade, and Kathy continued to be fond of him, said Mrs. Beatty. She thought that Kathy might have found an excuse to be wherever he had been and that he might have seen her.


    The boy and a freind were supposed to be sleeping outside in a camper, she said the boy's father told her. When the boy's father checked outside, the boys were not there, she said. She asked him to call when they returned and began driving around, looking for Kathy.


    She looked at Parkland Junior High School and drove by the K-Mart. Kathy was infatuated with mini-bikes and would go up to the store to look at them she said. She said she also kept returning to the house, hoping Kathy would have called.


    On one of her outings, she encountered a police officer. "I told him what the problem was and asked him if he would go up to K-Mart. I had been up there, but it had been so dark," she said. The police officer told her to go home and wait for an hour. If she did not hear from him, it would mean that he hadn't found Kathy and she should file a missing person report, she said.


    That was what she did. Then she sat waiting for dawn, so she could call the boy's house again. When she did call, about 7 a.m., the boy came to the phone and said that he had not seen Kathy either.


    Kathy's older sister, Theresa, called her boyfriend. Together they went up to search the area around K-Mart. "I didn't have much hope there", said her mother. "I didn't think she would be at K-Mart." But Theresa and Theresa's boyfriend found her purse nearby.


    "Her boyfriend was running to K-Mart to call the police when he heard Theresa screaming her head off," said Mrs. Beatty. Theresa, just turned 17, had found her sister lying in a ditch that runs through the wooded area behind the store with a depressed fracture of the skull. "Kathy was barely alive," said her mother.


    Theresa's boyfriend ran back, then called the police, an ambulance, and Mrs. Beatty. He didn't tell her that Kathy was hurt. As she was driving toward the K-Mart, an ambulance passed. Mrs. Beatty said she pulled over and said to herself, "Dear God, don't let it go to K-Mart."


    Kathy died of complications, including blood poisoning. "At that point she was too weak to live," said her mother.


    "We feel and have felt that the assailants lived in the community," said Brown. There were several persons who saw her the night she disappeared, about 8:30 p.m. near Parkland Junior High School. Several of them, youngsters Kathy's age, refused to take polygraph tests.


    A boy who lived next door had seen Kathy at home about 6:30 or 7 p.m. the night she received the injuries. He had brought her a shirt from Ocean City, chatted with her awhile, then left, said her mother. After that, she was not sure what happened. Although several youngsters said they saw her at the school, "none of them claimed they were with her," Mrs. Beatty said.


    "We feel sure that Kathy would not have gone up to K-Mart alone." said her mother. For one thing, although the area was littered with broken glass and stones, she was barefoot, her mother said. "I think someone down at Parkland Junior High that night must be responsible for her death. She wouldn't have gotten in a car with a stranger and she wouldn't have gone up to K-Mart by herself," her mother said.


    Brown thinks that it may not have been meant to end the way it did. "We're still working on that. We still have some investigative techniques to apply," he said. "I have always felt that someone should come forward on that case."


    Kathy had been sexually assaulted but not raped. More specifically than that, police will not say. "I have a feeling that the person or persons who did it didn't intend to kill her," said Brown. "It's highly possible that she ran from her assailant and fell against a blunt object. I've always felt the result wasn't intended, and that would be mitigating, if a person came forward to ease his or her conscience," he said.


    "We've interviewed hundreds of people, and we have ideas about who was involved," said Brown.


    Life goes on, said Mrs. Beatty, but Kathy's death has been hard on her and very hard on Theresa. "Life will never be the same for me, a part of me has died," said Mrs. Beatty.


    In the hospital, Kathy never regained conciousness. "We talked, and hoped and prayed that she could hear," her mother said.

    "Everyone liked her. I don't understand why they had to kill her," said Mrs. Beatty. "I think somebody knows.....I have a feeling sombody knows who's responsible and is not talking. I hope somebody will come forward."

    ------------------------------------------------
    More Info:

    Kathy was found in an area sometimes described as a "dump" or trash filled, rocky place, near a drainage ditch or stream. This was a large, vacant area adjacent to the K-Mart and its parking lot. Found beside Kathy's unconcious body was a set of keys. The keys did not belong to Kathy, and investigators suspected that they may have belonged to her assailant.
    To give some perspective to the location, K-Mart store #4399 is located in the northeast quadrant of the intersection of Georgia and Connecticut Avenues. Now owned by Sears, it is still called K-Mart, and its address is 14014 Connecticut Ave, Silver Spring, MD. Silver Spring is the name of the major Post Office for the area, but it encompasses other communities such as Wheaton and Aspen Hill.

    Located directly across Georgia Ave, in the Northwest quadrant of the same intersection, was a fairly new office building which housed offices of Vitro Laboratories. Vitro had offices in four locations of Montgomery County, and their Aspen Hill branch was the newest of the four. The Vitro parking lot bordered the Aspen Hill neighborhood where Kathy lived.

    Parkland Junior High School was located at 4610 West Frankfort Drive. Kathy's house was only one block (roughly south) from the school on the same road. A short walk of a few more blocks further south and a left turn (east) on Marionet St. would lead to the Aspen Hill Vitro parking lot. Traveling due east through that parking lot would be the shortest walking distance to K-Mart.

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Richard For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,665

    Carolyn Majane Case connected?

    Kathy's case has been discussed here on Websleuths in the past. One possible connection mentioned was the disappearance of Carolyn Majane on 15 August 1975, only a few days after Kathy died from her injuries.

    Caroline was origionally from Bethesda, MD which is in Montgomery County, not far from Wheaton and Aspen Hill. She had, however moved with her family some time before her disappearance/murder.

    Is there a connection - other than a strong coincidence?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - Who murdered Carolyn Majane?

    Link:
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...carolyn+majane

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Richard For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,665
    bumping Kathy's case...

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,665

    Connected case?

    Could the below case possibly be linked to the attack on Kathy Beatty? Note that both were abducted, physically assulted, and left for dead near a drainage ditch by a large department store.

    The attacks occurred about 17 days apart.

    Photos of Kathy resemble the composite drawing of this other girl. Both had long dark hair parted in the middle. Similar size and description.

    A possible suspect, Fred Howard Coffey, Jr. was a computer specialist with Vitro Laboratories which had four offices near Wheaton, one of them only blocks from Kathy's house in Aspen Hill.

    Coffey departed the Wheaton, Maryland area very suddenly when it was reported in the papers that Kathy Beatty had survived her attack and was in the hospital. Unfortunately, she never regained conciousness, and died 5 August 1975.

    Coffey later wrote to his employer claiming (falsly) that his wife and daughter had been in a car accident in Kentucky, and that he had to go to them. He asked that his last paycheck be mailed to him. Where he actually went in late July/early August 1975 is anyone's guess.

    Coffey was convicted in 1987 of First Degree Murder for killing 10-year-old Amanda Ray in Charlotte, NC in 1979. Her body was found in a remote area near water.


    -----------------------------------------
    Unidentified White Female
    Discovered on August 16, 1975 in East Haven, New Haven County, Connecticut.
    Estimated date of death: August 11, 1975.

    Vital Statistics

    Estimated age: 18 - 28 years old
    Approximate Height and Weight: 5'5" - 5'6"; 125 lbs.
    Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown hair, parted in center. Brown/hazel eyes. She had pierced ears. She may have had a small mole under the chin. She possibly had comestic surgery to reduce the size of the nose.
    Dentals: Available. Probable orthodontic care.
    Clothing: No clothing located.

    Case History

    The woman’s strangled body was found by a truck driver on a rainy August 16, 1975, floating in a drainage ditch behind the former Bradlees department store on Frontage Road. She was wrapped in a canvas tarpaulin and she was gagged and bound by black antenna wire around her neck, waist and knees. Police believe she was killed somewhere else and dumped on Frontage Road. She died of asphyxiation by suffocation at least five days prior to discovery.

    Dried white paint spots on the tarpaulin might indicate the murderer had connections with the painting trade.

    Investigators
    If you have any information about this case please contact:
    East Haven Police Department
    Detective Division
    Detective Sgt Scobie
    203-468-3827

    Source Information:
    ID Wanted Organization
    The Doe Network: Case File 93UFCT

    LINK:
    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/93ufct.html

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Richard For This Useful Post:


  8. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,665

    Chronology of events

    24 July 1975 (Thursday)

    4 PM: Kathy is at home with her mother (Mrs. Beatty) . She had been inside all day watching television and asks her mother if she can go outside and ride her bike.

    Her mother says yes she can, but invites her to travel to Baltimore to attend a Maryland Lottery dinner drawing that evening. Kathy declines, so her mother tells her to fix her own supper when she returns from her bike ride.

    Her mother tells Kathy that she will be home by 9 PM. She expects Kathy to be home by 8:30 PM, because she was always in by sun down.

    6:30 or 7 PM: A boy who lives next door stops by to see Kathy at home. He had brings her a shirt from Ocean City, chats with her awhile, then leaves.

    About 8:30 PM: Near Parkland Junior High School, Kathy is seen walking alone by several known youngsters about Kathy's age. Although they later say that they saw her at the school, none of them claim that they were with her. They later refused to take polygraph tests.

    Some time after 8:30 PM: Kathy receives a fatal blow to her head and is left lying behind the K-Mart at Georgia and Connecticut Avenues.

    11 PM: Mrs. Beatty returns home. The house is dark and Kathy is not at home. When she turns on the lights there is a note from Kathy saying she has gone to a friend's and will be back at 10 PM. It is raining, and Kathy's mother assumes her daughter is waiting for a ride home.

    All night long her mother searches for Kathy. Including contacting homes of some of her friends. Kathy is not located. The father of a "boyfriend" goes out to a camper in his backyard to ask his son if he has seen Kathy, but finds that his son and his son's buddy are not in the camper.


    25 July 1975 (Friday)

    7 AM: The "boyfriend" calls Kathy's home to state that he has not seen her.

    Early morning, sometime after 7 AM: Kathy is found by her sister Theresa and Theresa's boyfriend in a trash-filled, rocky place, near a drainage ditch or stream. This was a large, vacant area adjacent to the K-Mart and its parking lot.

    Kathy is unconscious, suffering from a with a depressed fracture of the skull. She is barely alive. Kathy had been sexually assaulted but not raped. Her purse is found nearby.

    Found beside Kathy are a set of keys. The keys do not belong to Kathy, and investigators suspect that they may have been dropped by her assailant.

    Kathy is taken to Suburban Hospital by ambulance. In the hospital, Kathy never regains conciousness.


    5 August 1975 (Friday)

    Kathy dies of complications from her injuries, including blood poisoning in the Intensive Care Unit at Suburban Hospital.


    6 January 1977: Washington Post Article about Kathy's murder, which remains unsolved.

    1987: Fred Howard Coffey, Jr. a convicted child molester and murderer comes to the attention of Montgomery County Police as a possible suspect in Kathy's murder, but lack of evidence prevents them from charging him. In July 1975, Coffey had been working for Vitro Laboratories, which had four offices in the Wheaton/Aspen Hill/Rockville Maryland area. The parking lot of one Vitro Office is located between Kathy's house and the K-Mart where she was found.
    Last edited by Richard; 01-09-2008 at 03:46 PM. Reason: corrections to present tense

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Richard For This Useful Post:


  10. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,665

    Kathy Beatty's case featured on WUSA TV 9 Cold Cases

    Last night at 11:15, WUSA TV Channel 9 featured the Cold Case of Kathy Lynn Beatty's Murder. The video coverage included several photos of Kathy and of the murder scene.

    Below is a link to WUSA9's Cold Case Website.

    ------------------------------
    The Murder Of Kathy Lynn Beatty
    Date created: 2/3/2008 4:06:55 PM

    ASPEN HILL, Md. (WUSA) -- Kathy Lynn Beatty was walking barefoot through her Aspen Hill neighborhood on a warm summer night in July 1975.

    Her mother, Patricia Haberman, had told her to be home before dark.
    Kathy's older sister found her the next morning in a wooded area near a K-Mart store by Connecticut and Georgia Avenues. Kathy was barely alive. She had been raped, beaten--her skull was fractured.

    Patricia Haberman says she was driving to where her daughter was found when she had to pull over to the side to let the ambulance pass by. "...and I said, please don't let it go to K-Mart...but it did."

    Kathy was taken to Suburban Hospital but she never regained consciousness. She died August 5, 1975.

    "What jumps out the most is the brutality of it," says Montgomery County Police detective Joe Mordano (sp?). "It was really vicious."

    Detective Mordano says Kathy's clothes were scattered all over the woods. This, he says, was a teen hangout where some drank and did drugs. They called it the rocks, the trails. Police believe Kathy's attacker knew her.

    Mrs. Haberman remembers the call from a strange, older boy, claiming to know the killer. "A girl, and she's possessed by the devil," Kathy's mother says the caller told her. And then she says the caller said, "..could I have been so f***ed up that I could've done it?"

    For Mrs. Haberman it's been a 32 year nightmare not knowing who did it and why. She said she hopes that somebody who was there and wants to get it off their conscience makes the one phone call that can bring her some measure of peace.

    That's the same phone call detective Joe Mordano is waiting for. "It's not right that this person did such a gross, horrible thing... that he walks free today."

    If you have any information that may help solve this case call Montgomery County Police at 866-411-8477 or 240-773-5038.

    Written by Todd McDermott
    9NEWS NOW

    Source:

    WUSA9.com - The Murder Of Kathy Lynn Beatty

    LINK:

    http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/stor...?storyid=68097

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Richard For This Useful Post:


  12. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,665

    Recent interest...

    Bumping case up due to recent re-newed interest.

  13. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,665

    Vitro Parking Lot...

    The "Old" Vitro building is gone, having been replaced by a Home Depot. There is a "back parking lot", however, which used to be part of the Vitro lot. This old lot is adjacent to homes in Kathy's neighborhood, and is actually quite close to her house. The most direct route for someone walking to K-Mart would have been right through this lot.

    There is a very large Office building belonging today to BAE Systems. It is located on the corner of Aspen Hill Road and Connecticut Ave. This was the "New" Vitro building in 1975. It is adjacent to where the "Old" Vitro was located and the parking lot in question is accessable by driving to the rear of this building, or by taking the Home Depot exit off Georgia Ave.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Richard For This Useful Post:


  15. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Indiana [USA]
    Posts
    1,694

    Those Keys...

    .............where they ever able, to match any of those keys, with any7 of the suspects.........if there was a car key , house key, business key, mailbox key etc......but especially a car/truck key.....i wonder if they match the key/keys to the type of vehicle back then, and see if any of the suspects had a vehicle similar that that key would fit??...........and the same for the other keys??..do you know, if that was done??

    :+:Anneliese Michel:+:

    [21 September 1952–1 July 1976]

    [Second chapter twelfth verse of [
    :+:Philippians:+:]
    [Work out your own salvation, with fear and trembling]
    :+:Emily Rose:+:




  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to :+:MrTT:+: For This Useful Post:


  17. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,665

    Key questions

    Quote Originally Posted by :+:MrTT:+: View Post
    .............where they ever able, to match any of those keys, with any7 of the suspects.........if there was a car key , house key, business key, mailbox key etc......but especially a car/truck key.....i wonder if they match the key/keys to the type of vehicle back then, and see if any of the suspects had a vehicle similar that that key would fit??...........and the same for the other keys??..do you know, if that was done??
    Very good questions. The police have stated that they made an effort to match these keys with locks associated with Fred Coffey when he became a possible suspect in 1987. They were not successfull, however. I do not know if they tried matching them to locks associated with any other specific suspects and I do not know what types of keys they were.

    It would seem that a listing of each key by lock type might produce a possible profile of the killer. For instance what type of vehicle(s), what type of door locks, what mail boxes, etc.

    It was determined that the keys did NOT belong to Kathy.

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Richard For This Useful Post:


  19. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Indiana [USA]
    Posts
    1,694

    Tounch DNA?...

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Very good questions. The police have stated that they made an effort to match these keys with locks associated with Fred Coffey when he became a possible suspect in 1987. They were not successfull, however. I do not know if they tried matching them to locks associated with any other specific suspects and I do not know what types of keys they were.

    It would seem that a listing of each key by lock type might produce a possible profile of the killer. For instance what type of vehicle(s), what type of door locks, what mail boxes, etc.

    It was determined that the keys did NOT belong to Kathy.
    ...i don't know much, if anything at all about DNA........but if those keys are still available for analysis.......i would send them off for a possible match with Touch DNA......especially if it had not been raining, at the time she was killed and the keys were laying there.......not knowing if water, rain would make a difference, but there may still be skin cells on those keys...........I am curious, if there were 7 keys or 7 suspects.....just for my own information, since that is what i typed to your posting...............see what you can find out about the keys, if there still in storage, i would without question have them tested just to be sure one way or the other, if there are any DNA remnants left on them.......a person with a match, a POI at the time, may have there DNA in a data base, that can be compared with........stay in touch, a crime such as this has got to be resolved for that young angle...........and we will!............if this is a cold case now, which i feel it is, since its been awhile ago......perhaps, a phone call or two, would get the wheels rolling again, and justice finally served...........

    forgot to add...
    ...................quote....................It would seem that a listing of each key by lock type might produce a possible profile of the killer. For instance what type of vehicle(s), what type of door locks, what mail boxes, etc................................I agree with this.................and all just MOO...NOTHING FACTUAL .......ALL ASSUMPTIONS AND SPECULATIONS ON MY PART.........
    Last edited by :+:MrTT:+:; 03-13-2009 at 09:41 PM. Reason: forgot to add...

    :+:Anneliese Michel:+:

    [21 September 1952–1 July 1976]

    [Second chapter twelfth verse of [
    :+:Philippians:+:]
    [Work out your own salvation, with fear and trembling]
    :+:Emily Rose:+:




  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to :+:MrTT:+: For This Useful Post:


  21. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    409
    She doesn't look young for her age:



    but the profile and the way in which she was described by her mother - not allowed out after 8.30 p.m., asking permission to ride her bike, being very coy about her involvement with a boy, seems more appropriate to a girl three years younger or more.

    I wasn't born until three years after Kathy died but does she sound as though she was treated like a much younger girl? Were her parents what we might call "overprotective"? Was she in some way developmentally delayed? Might that have made her more trusting or might she have had some kind of secret life?

  22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cymro For This Useful Post:


  23. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,665

    DNA testing...

    Quote Originally Posted by :+:MrTT:+: View Post
    ..............I am curious, if there were 7 keys or 7 suspects.....just for my own information, since that is what i typed to your posting...............see what you can find out about the keys, if there still in storage, i would without question have them tested just to be sure one way or the other, if there are any DNA remnants left on them................

    I believe that the numeral "7" which appeared in the post I referenced was simply a stray figure or a typo. I have never seen it stated how many keys were on the ring, and I have never heard of any specifically identified suspects - although police may have questioned a number of people no "suspects" were ever formally named.

    DNA was unknown in 1975. About all that might have been done back then would have been to try to lift finger prints and perhaps do blood typing tests on evidence. It is likely also that by this time those keys have been handled by numerous police investigators, which would negate any kind of possible DNA tests today.

    However, there could well be other items still in existance which could be tested for DNA.

    The keys are likely still in an evidence storage, along with other items as the case is still an open one.

  24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Richard For This Useful Post:


  25. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,665

    Kathy's age...

    Quote Originally Posted by Cymro View Post
    She doesn't look young for her age:



    but the profile and the way in which she was described by her mother - not allowed out after 8.30 p.m., asking permission to ride her bike, being very coy about her involvement with a boy, seems more appropriate to a girl three years younger or more.

    I wasn't born until three years after Kathy died but does she sound as though she was treated like a much younger girl? Were her parents what we might call "overprotective"? Was she in some way developmentally delayed? Might that have made her more trusting or might she have had some kind of secret life?
    Kathy was 14 years old and just out of eighth grade in July 1975. I have not heard that she was in any way develompentally delayed.

    I am not certain what the family life was like, but requiring her to be home by 8:30 PM seems reasonable to me, especially in light of the fact that her mother would be out that evening. Kathy was obviously aware of the time requirement/guideline and of the importance of letting her mother know where she was - as evidenced by the note that she left to explain her absence and intention to return by 10 PM.

    It should be noted, however, that she may have been trying to decieve her mother with the note because she stated that she was going to see a certain girlfriend, but actually did not go to see her. Her mother suspected that she had gone instead to see a boy that she had liked.

    Kathy lived with an older sister and her mother. I have never heard any references made to her father. Her parents may have been separated or divorced.

  26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Richard For This Useful Post:


  27. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Indiana [USA]
    Posts
    1,694

    would be nice...

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I believe that the numeral "7" which appeared in the post I referenced was simply a stray figure or a typo. I have never seen it stated how many keys were on the ring, and I have never heard of any specifically identified suspects - although police may have questioned a number of people no "suspects" were ever formally named.

    DNA was unknown in 1975. About all that might have been done back then would have been to try to lift finger prints and perhaps do blood typing tests on evidence. It is likely also that by this time those keys have been handled by numerous police investigators, which would negate any kind of possible DNA tests today.

    However, there could well be other items still in existance which could be tested for DNA.

    The keys are likely still in an evidence storage, along with other items as the case is still an open one.
    ................if they would release those keys again........so we could see them, and try and match them with the suspects back then.........if those keys, belong to the killer, and not just happened to be there at the same time by coincidence........there had to be a house key, apartment key, car key etc..........studio key, something on that ring, that can be matched, with someone back then.........try and see if you can find a picture of those keys............and let us see......................thank you in advance........biggest problem im finding with cold cases, are the links that once worked, are no longer available.....and there seems to be no way im aware of, to make contact with one involved with the investigation to ask questions.........
    .That is, as long as the person those keys belong to, was a local, and not a out of towner?


    ALL MOO...nothing factual or for certain, all speculation on my part!

    :+:Anneliese Michel:+:

    [21 September 1952–1 July 1976]

    [Second chapter twelfth verse of [
    :+:Philippians:+:]
    [Work out your own salvation, with fear and trembling]
    :+:Emily Rose:+:




  28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to :+:MrTT:+: For This Useful Post:


  29. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Indiana [USA]
    Posts
    1,694

    addon...

    Quote Originally Posted by :+:MrTT:+: View Post
    ................if they would release those keys again........so we could see them, and try and match them with the suspects back then.........if those keys, belong to the killer, and not just happened to be there at the same time by coincidence........there had to be a house key, apartment key, car key etc..........studio key, something on that ring, that can be matched, with someone back then.........try and see if you can find a picture of those keys............and let us see......................thank you in advance........biggest problem im finding with cold cases, are the links that once worked, are no longer available.....and there seems to be no way im aware of, to make contact with one involved with the investigation to ask questions.........
    .That is, as long as the person those keys belong to, was a local, and not a out of towner?


    ALL MOO...nothing factual or for certain, all speculation on my part!
    add on...i would still do some touch DNA on the phyiscal evidence they have in storage......besides the keys, but i would do them also........it would not hurt, to do so.........if all the physical evidence is still available?

    :+:Anneliese Michel:+:

    [21 September 1952–1 July 1976]

    [Second chapter twelfth verse of [
    :+:Philippians:+:]
    [Work out your own salvation, with fear and trembling]
    :+:Emily Rose:+:




  30. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,665

    Evidence

    Quote Originally Posted by :+:MrTT:+: View Post
    add on...i would still do some touch DNA on the phyiscal evidence they have in storage......besides the keys, but i would do them also........it would not hurt, to do so.........if all the physical evidence is still available?
    Good comments. Since this case is still open and very recently active, I would think that all of the evidence remains in Montgomery County Police custody. I have not seen any of it personally. I have not seen photos of any of the keys. I agree that knowing what types of keys are on the ring might give some clues as to who owned them.

  31. The Following User Says Thank You to Richard For This Useful Post:


  32. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Indiana [USA]
    Posts
    1,694
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Good comments. Since this case is still open and very recently active, I would think that all of the evidence remains in Montgomery County Police custody. I have not seen any of it personally. I have not seen photos of any of the keys. I agree that knowing what types of keys are on the ring might give some clues as to who owned them.
    thanks richard for replying......
    .................Im going to send an email to the Montgomery County Police department...........and ask them that question.......int the meantime........here is a link to there cold case department,.......it talks about this case, and it has a picture of the keys!...........there are two keys on the ring.......just wanted to share with you.

    http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/po...Case/index.asp

    I just called also, and left a message for the detective in the cold case division, left a message and he will return my call later.......to tell me about the DNA testing..........
    Quote............The keys photographed above were found next to her purse at the time of her discovery. The keys do not belong to her. The automobile key is from a 1972 General Motors vehicle. The house key was from a door knob type lock approximately 10 years old. The leather strap was probably made as a school project. ...........End of quote

    looks like a Chevy key to me?...........wonder if any POI owned a chevy?

    from the coldcase page.......Quote........On July 25,1975, 15-year-old Kathy Beatty was found unconscious in a wooded area in the rear of the Kmart department store located at Georgia Avenue and Connecticut Avenue in Aspen Hill, Maryland. The hospital examination revealed that she had been sexually assaulted and hit on the head with a blunt instrument. Kathy never regained consciousness and died on August 8, 1975. Kathy was a student at Parkland Junior High School. In 1975, the surrounding area near Georgia Avenue and Connecticutt Avenue was referred to as the "hill" or the "rocks". Parkland Junior High School, the Aspen Hill shopping center, and the "hill" were a gathering place for local teenagers that lived and grew up in the neighborhood. Kathy was known to frequent these areas. She was last seen on July 24, 1975 at approximately 9:00 p.m. walking on West Frankfort Street near Parkland Junior High School. She was alone at the time.
    The keys photographed above were found next to her purse at the time of her discovery. The keys do not belong to her. The automobile key is from a 1972 General Motors vehicle. The house key was from a door knob type lock approximately 10 years old. The leather strap was probably made as a school project.
    At the time of the homicide, investigators interviewed numerous friends and acquaintances of Kathy Beatty. Several of those interviewed gave inconsistent statements to police as to their whereabouts on the night that Kathy was last seen.
    Two witnesses observed two male suspects carrying the body of a white female fitting the description of Kathy Beatty. The suspects were seen heading eastbound crossing Georgia Avenue towards the 7-Eleven convenience store and continuing on towards the "hill" area. Suspect one is described as a white male, mid to late teens, wearing a dark-colored jacket. He was taller than suspect two. Suspect two is described as a white male, mid to late teens, wearing dark clothing. He had fluffy, light brown hair that had grown below his ears.
    Investigators believe that the information obtained from the witness is consistent with the chronology of events leading up to the discovery of Kathy in the area of the "hill". .............End of Quote.
    Last edited by :+:MrTT:+:; 03-23-2009 at 05:55 PM. Reason: add on3...

    :+:Anneliese Michel:+:

    [21 September 1952–1 July 1976]

    [Second chapter twelfth verse of [
    :+:Philippians:+:]
    [Work out your own salvation, with fear and trembling]
    :+:Emily Rose:+:




  33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to :+:MrTT:+: For This Useful Post:


  34. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Here, but I'd rather be at the beach
    Posts
    2,093
    Quote Originally Posted by :+:MrTT:+: View Post
    thanks richard for replying......
    .................Im going to send an email to the Montgomery County Police department...........and ask them that question.......int the meantime........here is a link to there cold case department,.......it talks about this case, and it has a picture of the keys!...........there are two keys on the ring.......just wanted to share with you.

    http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/po...Case/index.asp

    I just called also, and left a message for the detective in the cold case division, left a message and he will return my call later.......to tell me about the DNA testing..........
    Quote............The keys photographed above were found next to her purse at the time of her discovery. The keys do not belong to her. The automobile key is from a 1972 General Motors vehicle. The house key was from a door knob type lock approximately 10 years old. The leather strap was probably made as a school project. ...........End of quote

    looks like a Chevy key to me?...........wonder if any POI owned a chevy?

    from the coldcase page.......Quote........On July 25,1975, 15-year-old Kathy Beatty was found unconscious in a wooded area in the rear of the Kmart department store located at Georgia Avenue and Connecticut Avenue in Aspen Hill, Maryland. The hospital examination revealed that she had been sexually assaulted and hit on the head with a blunt instrument. Kathy never regained consciousness and died on August 8, 1975. Kathy was a student at Parkland Junior High School. In 1975, the surrounding area near Georgia Avenue and Connecticutt Avenue was referred to as the "hill" or the "rocks". Parkland Junior High School, the Aspen Hill shopping center, and the "hill" were a gathering place for local teenagers that lived and grew up in the neighborhood. Kathy was known to frequent these areas. She was last seen on July 24, 1975 at approximately 9:00 p.m. walking on West Frankfort Street near Parkland Junior High School. She was alone at the time.
    The keys photographed above were found next to her purse at the time of her discovery. The keys do not belong to her. The automobile key is from a 1972 General Motors vehicle. The house key was from a door knob type lock approximately 10 years old. The leather strap was probably made as a school project.
    At the time of the homicide, investigators interviewed numerous friends and acquaintances of Kathy Beatty. Several of those interviewed gave inconsistent statements to police as to their whereabouts on the night that Kathy was last seen.
    Two witnesses observed two male suspects carrying the body of a white female fitting the description of Kathy Beatty. The suspects were seen heading eastbound crossing Georgia Avenue towards the 7-Eleven convenience store and continuing on towards the "hill" area. Suspect one is described as a white male, mid to late teens, wearing a dark-colored jacket. He was taller than suspect two. Suspect two is described as a white male, mid to late teens, wearing dark clothing. He had fluffy, light brown hair that had grown below his ears.
    Investigators believe that the information obtained from the witness is consistent with the chronology of events leading up to the discovery of Kathy in the area of the "hill". .............End of Quote.
    Above Bolded by me for context: Maybe these were the two boys who were supposed to be camping in the backyard, but when mom went to check, they were not around.
    Children don't stop dancing

  35. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SharetheLight For This Useful Post:


  36. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Indiana [USA]
    Posts
    1,694
    Quote Originally Posted by SharetheLight View Post
    Above Bolded by me for context: Maybe these were the two boys who were supposed to be camping in the backyard, but when mom went to check, they were not around.
    i wonder if one of them owned a Chevy at the time........car key, house key......and that was all........a grown man would have many more keys attached, but a young person, like you mentioned.........would more then likely have just a house key, car key.........no business key, or locker key etc........just house and car key...........thanks for pointing that out.........and the detective i called has not return my call yet.....and im feeling hes not going to anyways.....................

    :+:Anneliese Michel:+:

    [21 September 1952–1 July 1976]

    [Second chapter twelfth verse of [
    :+:Philippians:+:]
    [Work out your own salvation, with fear and trembling]
    :+:Emily Rose:+:




  37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to :+:MrTT:+: For This Useful Post:


  38. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,665

    The two keys...

    The two keys pictured on the MCP website are indeed for a doorknob and for a GM vehicle's Ignition.

    The key to the house doorknob is for a lock made by Schlage. While the police seem to think that it is 10 years old, I can state that I had one exactly like it which opened the origional doorknobs to my house built in 1976. I do not, however, know when those door knobs were made, and they may have been the last of that key type. When I needed to replace the doorknobs in the 1980's, that style was no longer available.

    What I can say for certain is that the Schlage was almost always used as a house key on outside doorknobs. I have never seen an inside door or office door keyed with that style of key.

    The GM vehicle key is for an ignition cylinder. I believe that GM began using that style of key with the rectangle end sometime in the late 1960's. Before it, they made a key with an octogon shaped end.

    The police state that it was for a 1972 model. They may know this because each year, GM changed the long groove location along the side of the key. This meant that you could not put a 1972 key into a 1973 model lock.

    By 1972, all GM automobiles (Chevrolet, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Buick, and Cadillac) required TWO keys. The rectangle one (shown on the website) was for the ignition. Oval shaped ones were for the doors and trunks.

    A possible exception, however, may have been the Chevy or GMC pick-up truck and possibly the Chevy or GMC van. I have not nailed it down for certain at this point. I know that in 1970, the ignition key also unlocked the doors on the pickup truck (and larger trucks). By 1973 Pickups had two keys - like the cars - one for ignition, and another for doors.

    While it is possible that these are the keys of a teenager/young person - there could be another reason as well, such as spare keys, borrowed keys, or just that the guy reduced the amount of keys he was carrying because he was away from his home - such as living with a friend in the DC area. In that case, he would have put his other full ring of keys in his suitcase or briefcase, etc.

  39. The Following User Says Thank You to Richard For This Useful Post:


  40. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    southwest US
    Posts
    1,689
    I am so surprised that after all these years, one of thos kids that supposedly saw her would not have come forward---they are adults now, and do not have anything to fear (getting in trouble with their parents, getting in trouble for drinking or drugs). I would think after all this time, someones conscience would overcome whatever fear they previously had.

  41. The Following User Says Thank You to Julessleuther For This Useful Post:


  42. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,665

    34 Year Anniversary

    This week marks the 34 year anniversary of Kathy's abduction and murder.

  43. The Following User Says Thank You to Richard For This Useful Post:


  44. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,665

    34 years gone...

    Kathy died of her injuries 34 years ago today. This case is an old one, but not forgotten.

  45. The Following User Says Thank You to Richard For This Useful Post:


  46. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,665

    35 years and still unsolved...

    This July will mark the 35th anniversary of the murder of Kathy Lynn Beatty.

    The case remains open and active.

  47. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Richard For This Useful Post:


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The Murder of Kathy Lynn Beatty
    By Richard in forum Sheila and Katherine Lyon
    Replies: 152
    Last Post: 10-20-2014, 04:01 PM
  2. SPOTLIGHT CASE OH - Christie Lynn Mullins, 14, Murdered in Columbus, 1975
    By nerosleuth in forum Cold Cases
    Replies: 248
    Last Post: 10-19-2014, 11:47 AM
  3. PA PA - Teresa Lynn Rhodes, 13, Greensburg, 27 Sept 1975
    By Richard in forum 1970's Missing
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-11-2014, 12:22 PM
  4. Replies: 34
    Last Post: 03-26-2014, 06:26 PM
  5. PA Teresa Lynn Rhodes (13) - Greensburg PA, 1975
    By SheWhoMustNotBeNamed in forum Missing Children in America - A Profile
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-13-2010, 07:52 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •