Bob Barker retiring after 50 years on TV

Dark Knight

Reaction score
Bob Barker retiring after 50 years on TV

By SANDY COHEN

(AP) Bob Barker is heading toward his last showcase, his final "Come on down." The silver-haired daytime-TV icon is retiring in June, he told The Associated Press Tuesday.

"I will be 83 years old on December 12," he said, "and I've decided to retire while I'm still young."

He'll hang up his microphone after 35 years as the host of "The Price Is Right" and 50 years overall in television.

Though he has been considering retirement for "at least 10 years," Barker said he has so much fun doing the show that he hasn't been able to leave.

"I've gone on and on and on to this ancient age because I've enjoyed it," he said. "I've thoroughly enjoyed it and I'm going to miss it."

Reaching dual milestones, 50 years on television and 35 with "Price," made this an "appropriate" time to retire, Barker said. Besides, hosting the daily CBS program — in which contestants chosen from the crowd "come on down" to compete for "showcases" that include trips, appliances and new cars — is "demanding physically and mentally," he said.

"I'm just reaching the age where the constant effort to be there and do the show physically is a lot for me," he said. "I might be able to do the show another year, but better (to leave) a year too soon than a year too late."

More at link:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061031/ap_en_tv/tv_bob_barker_retires&printer=1

I remember watching Bob in black and white on 'Truth or Consequences' back in the late 60's. He talked often about his wife, Dorothy. I thought he was an old man then, but I was barely a teen, everyone seemed ancient.

I love Bob, I did not know his wife died that long ago and he Never remarried. 1981. They must have really been in love it sounds. I remember hearing the Music to the Price is Right everytime I went to my grandmas house. To this day when I hear it thats all I think about.

i think he's a 'dirty old man'.....there's been WAY too many accusations of sexual harrassment toward some of those girls he worked with over the years....i've never really cared for him, even way back in the days, early on.....

close_enough said:
i think he's a 'dirty old man'.....there's been WAY too many accusations of sexual harrassment toward some of those girls he worked with over the years....i've never really cared for him, even way back in the days, early on.....
I agree. And I have caught a couple of shows in the last few years and he comes across like a very cranky old man. He started freaking out when one of the contestants tried to hug him and then made what I thought were rude remarks to the contestant.

Plus his Paris Hilton Mystic Tan drove me crazzzzzzzzzy. Why can't some people just accept the fact that they were born with pale skin???? Orange skin doesn't look good on ANYONE! And yes I am talking to you - Lohan, Paris, Tara Reid, Joey Lawrence and Michael Kors!!!

I will miss him and the Price is Right won't be the same without him. I heard Rosie wantsd his job, i can not stand her.

I like Bob but his retirement is way overdue. JMO

2sisters said:
I will miss him and the Price is Right won't be the same without him. I heard Rosie wantsd his job, i can not stand her.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

close_enough said:
There was only one that I know of and that was thrown out.

He seems like a good guy, and his sense of humor showed in this article. Plus he defends animals.

I will miss him big time. I've watched the show since I was a small child. I remember watching it when I came home for lunch from school, and I also watched it with my late grandma many times over the years.

I'm with you Dark Knight. I have so many fond memories of watching him with my late grandmother, too. Funny the things we remember. Plus, he is a strong defender of animals, that always scores points with me :)

I love Bob, and I will miss him. That theme song always makes me happy.

Dark Knight said:
There was only one that I know of and that was thrown out.

He seems like a good guy, and his sense of humor showed in this article. Plus he defends animals.

I will miss him big time. I've watched the show since I was a small child. I remember watching it when I came home for lunch from school, and I also watched it with my late grandma many times over the years.

you're wrong......

Sexual harassment claimsIn 1993, he was accused of sexually harassing one of the show's models, Dian Parkinson, who had also appeared nude in Playboy magazine. Barker admitted to sexual involvement with Parkinson in the late 1980s. Barker allegedly asked another of the show's models, Holly Hallstrom, to lie in his favor. When she refused, he threatened her with "early retirement", and later fired her, claiming she was overweight. She has since filed a lawsuit of her own against Barker. Ultimately, Parkinson dropped the charges, as it was costing too much money and affecting her health. Linda Riegert supported Hallstrom's claims, and said that Barker retaliated by calling her a "****ing idiot" in front of the audience. Claudia Jordan, a model, and Sylvia Clement-Henry, a producer's assistant, are also suing Barker for sexual harassment, wrongful termination and racial discrimination. Their lawyer described Barker as "probably the most vicious man I've met in my life" and "a monster."

http://www.quicknation.com/Bob_Barker.htm

I only like him for his defense of animals. He's always come across to me as a pompous, crotchety old man who demeans participants of the show. And as a dirty old man.

Masterj said:
I agree. And I have caught a couple of shows in the last few years and he comes across like a very cranky old man. He started freaking out when one of the contestants tried to hug him and then made what I thought were rude remarks to the contestant.

Plus his Paris Hilton Mystic Tan drove me crazzzzzzzzzy. Why can't some people just accept the fact that they were born with pale skin???? Orange skin doesn't look good on ANYONE! And yes I am talking to you - Lohan, Paris, Tara Reid, Joey Lawrence and Michael Kors!!!

lol, oh yeah...i forgot about his 'tan' :rolleyes:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rachel1987