What's the hold up?

Why is there still no arrest after 18 months?

• Evidence is still being analyzed.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • LE just doesn't have enough evidence to arrest Raven.

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • LE was so focused on Raven that the real perpetrator may never be identified.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • LE hasn't taken this case seriously enough or investigated thoroughly enough to identify any viable

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • LE is intent on 1st degree and won't charge with anything less.

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • LE mishandled the case.

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • This case (and possibly others) have taken a backseat to the politics in Durham and/or corruption wi

Votes: 7 23.3%

• Total voters
Sadly, I think Janet and her angel have taken a back seat to all chaos.

Reminder - all polls are anonymous unless otherwise noted within the poll box. Therefore, no one will see which way you've voted.

I believe it is a combination of several of the above questions and cannot vote for just one of them.

I believe this case and many others have taken a backseat to politics and/or corruption within the system.

I believe there is underfunding to fully investigate the case.

I believe there have been mistakes made in the case.

I believe they have enough to arrest him on lower charges, and are holding out for first degree murder.

Underfunding? Since when is underfunding an excuse for not correctly investigating a murder? I'm sorry but I don't buy that for a second.

ETA: I realized that there might be more than one possible reason but I was really just looking to see what people believed was the number one most likely cause of the hold up.

It's not an excuse, it's just a statement.

I think they screwed up when they let him leave the police department and he got home and called an attorney immediately.

I think someone should have IMMEDIATELY notified Orange County about Janet's murder and something could have been done to prevent this murderer from leaving the state.

I am believing that the District Attorney is more concerned with his campaign that prosecuting.

I believe that there is not enough funding to train enough competent LE and there are not enough of them.

I believe that since the murderer doesn't live in North Carolina nor any of the family members of Janet, those higher ups in North Carolina don't feel this is worthy of the manpower, or $$ to investigate.

terminatrixator said:
I think someone should have IMMEDIATELY notified Orange County about Janet's murder and something could have been done to prevent this murderer from leaving the state.
If they had had enough evidence to point to Raven, he would not have been allowed to leave the state. He would have been arrested. Now, a full year and a half later, he still has not even been named a POI.

I'm not trying to be difficult, I'm just trying to be realistic. I no longer forsee Raven being arrested for this crime. If he's guilty, I hope and pray that I'm wrong. However, I think that something is wrong with the investigation. I suspect that the family might be getting answers that do little more than buy LE more time before having to admit that they can't make a case against Raven. I'm so sorry to say it but I really don't believe that they're going to be able to prosecute him without a drastic change in the approach.

terminatrixator said:
I don't mean on your part. I mean that our law enforcement agencies are obliged to fully investigate cases. Underfunding would not be an acceptable excuse for not doing so. I don't believe that LE has underinvestigated this case.

terminatrixator said:

I think they screwed up when they let him leave the police department and he got home and called an attorney immediately.

I am believing that the District Attorney is more concerned with his campaign that prosecuting.

I believe that there is not enough funding to train enough competent LE and there are not enough of them.

I believe that since the murderer doesn't live in North Carolina nor any of the family members of Janet, those higher ups in North Carolina don't feel this is worthy of the manpower, or $$ to investigate.
Hi Trix,

I've missed you! I think you hit the nail on the head. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that more than one case has taken a back seat to this election. I pray that after the election that things settle down in Durham and LE can get back to solving crimes.

You might both be right about the politics. But let's remember that the police investigators and the DA's office are not connected. If LE isn't giving the family straight, satisfactory answers then that problem is originating with the police. That would have nothing to do with the DA.

JerseyGirl said:
You might both be right about the politics. But let's remember that the police investigators and the DA's office are not connected. If LE isn't giving the family straight, satisfactory answers then that problem is originating with the police. That would have nothing to do with the DA.
LE and DA's office are extremely connected and many times do not see eye to eye.

LE can go into a DA's office and say we got enough to arrest this guy and the DA can say....um NO, I'm not prosecuting without a slam dunk. I've seen it happen in other cases and many times LE and DA can work hand in hand well, and other times, the politics between the two are extremely adversarial, which makes no sense, but it happens more often than you would think.

This DA is a new DA with NO experience prosecuting a Homicide. Look at the problems he's having with an alleged rape case. I also see from everything I read on Durham Politics, there is major issues between the DA and the police department.

If the DA doesn't feel he's a strong enough prosecutor and doesn't want to put his time and attention into prosecuting a circumstantial evidence case, he can say no, bring me the smoking gun. I don't know what's going on in this case, but I've seen it happen with other cases.

The DA's office and the police department are separate entities. Period.

Yes, the DA can refuse a case. But they do so when there is not enough evidence to prosecute.

The bottom line is that none of us know for sure what's being said to the family. If they feel comfortable with the way this case is going, then that's all that matters. But if they feel like 18 months should have produced more than it has, then it's time to look beyond LE and the DA.

Personally, I think that it's very easy to blame the lack of an arrest on the politics in Durham. Seems that people are blaming the politics in Durham for everything these days. I just don't see it. Plenty of cases have been prosecuted in Durham since Janet's death.

Ya know...I didn't even respond to this poll. If we knew wth the hold up was, he'd be arrested!

How about all these other killers who've walked free for 20 years?! Dontcha' think they thought they'd gotten away scott-free (excuse the phrase) with murder?!
It may not be today, but it will happen. raven will be arrested and tried for the murder of Janet.

LTUlegal said:
Ya know...I didn't even respond to this poll. If we knew wth the hold up was, he'd be arrested!
Unfortunately not true but I understand your point.

FWIW, this poll was about opinion. What each poster believed, in their own mind, to be the hold up. It was just about getting a sense for what the majority believes to be the problem. Of course, none of us know for sure.

I'm siding with JG on this. I think that LE tells the family NOT to talk, let them do their job, etc., and the case ends up going no where. If raven did this crime, then he should have been arrested by now if LE was doing their job. If raven didn't do this, then shame on LE for only focusing on him. Either way, it ends up in LE's court. The DA could botch it in trial but the investigation is on LE.....18 months and no POI, give me a break!

I think it's a matter of us being patient......which mine is running low!:(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back