U.S. sweep nets nearly 11,000 fugitives

opme

Reaction score
Record set for arrests in a week, attorney general announces

http://msnbcmedia1.msn.com/i/msnbc/Components/Sources/sourceAP.gif Updated: 13 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Nearly 11,000 sex offenders, gang members and other fugitives were swept up in what the Justice Department on Thursday called a sting targeting the “worst of the worst” criminals on the run.

Last week’s roundup, led by the U.S. Marshals Service, included Allen Marksberry, an unregistered sex offender in Rickman, Tenn., who was baby-sitting several young children when he was arrested on Oct. 24.

Also nabbed were Demetrius Avery Jackson, an accused cop killer in Birmingham, Ala., and Eric Dewayne Meneese, a Crips gang member, in Nashville, Tenn.

"In all, Gonzales said officials caught 10,733 fugitives — including 1,659 sex offenders, 364 gang members and thousands of others sought on kidnapping, robbery, burglary, carjacking and weapons charges. More than 230 weapons were seized."
In upstate New York, some fugitives tried to hide in unusual places.
“We grabbed one guy out of the shower,” said Joe Ciccarelli, supervisor of the U.S. Marshals fugitive task force in New York’s northern district. “We found people hiding in between insulation, rolled up in rugs, inside of cabinets, inside of closets that a person shouldn’t be able to fit in, but they end up fitting in and we have had to call the fire department to get them out.”

Of the sex offenders nabbed, 971 had failed to register with authorities as required by law — what Gonzales called the largest number ever captured in a single law enforcement effort.

Much more at link below..
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15528737/

:cool: Ultra Cool! I guess the sting was only on the East Coast, right?

Scandi

scandi said:
:cool: Ultra Cool! I guess the sting was only on the East Coast, right?

Scandi
Apparently it was the 24 states east of the Mississippi River...

I am so glad to see the efforts and intdepartmental communications are working so successfully. Many of those rounded up were serious offenders of one kind or another.. glad those guys are off the streets and were they belong.. behind bars!:behindbar

opme said:
Apparently it was the 24 states east of the Mississippi River...

I am so glad to see the efforts and intdepartmental communications are working so successfully. Many of those rounded up were serious offenders of one kind or another.. glad those guys are off the streets and were they belong.. behind bars!:behindbar

i'm glad also...i think it's great
..here's part of the sting..

WASHINGTON -- Nearly 11,000 sex offenders, gang members and other fugitives were swept up in what the Justice Department on Thursday called a sting targeting the "worst of the worst" criminals on the run.

Across Tennessee, 1,372 fugitives were arrested and 1,686 warrants were cleared. 862 fugitives were taken into custody in middle Tennessee alone.

Tennessee led the country for capturing the most fugitives as part of this nationwide effort to crack down on accused criminals hiding from police.

more at link below..

http://www.wsmv.com/news/10220372/detail.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie