GUILTY NY - Adrienne Shelley, 40, found murdered, Greenwich Village, 1 Nov 2006

Beyond Belief

Reaction score
NEW YORK -- Actress Adrienne Shelly, best known for her roles in the movies "Trust" and "The Unbelievable Truth" was found dead in her New York office on Thursday night.

Her agent said she was found by her husband.

There's as yet no word from the medical examiner on the cause of her death. And police are waiting for the results from the autopsy before deciding to investigate the case.

Shelly, who was 40, had performed steadily in film, theater and television but later turned to writing and directing, making her directorial debut with "Sudden Manhattan" in 1996. http://www.wftv.com/entertainment/10229869/detail.html

http://tinyurl.com/y92ohr

November 3, 2006 -- The body of a beautiful, talented actress was found hanging from a shower rod in the bathtub of a Greenwich Village apartment by her horrified husband, who cried out, "Why? Why?" cops and witnesses said.

...A TriBeCa resident who used the Village apartment as an office, Shelley had a 3-year-old daughter named Sophie. In recent months, she spoke of her hopes to have another child with her marketing-executive husband, Andrew Ostroy.

...A family source said Shelly "wasn't on any medication. She doesn't drink and she was a pretty happy person. Everyone is having trouble accepting this as a suicide."

A doorman at the Abingdon Square building - where Shelly sublet the apartment to a friend - told The Post that Ostrow arrived there just before 6 p.m. Wednesday, and "said he was really worried about her. He said he dropped her off that morning at 10 or 10:30." "He hadn't heard from her and he said it was odd not to hear from her, so he was nervous. And he asked me to go up to the apartment with him, so we went to the front door, and it was unlocked," the doorman said."
Sounds like Ostrow was awfully quick to conclude he needed a witness just because he didn't hear from her for a few hours. My hubby would probably just assume I was upset with him for some reason, or maybe I was out of the office and forgot I my cellphone was muted.

Susan

A construction worker has confessed to killing Ms. Shelley. He punched her in the head after she complained about the noise he was making in her building. She died and he tried to make it look like a suicide.

http://wcbstv.com/local/local_story_306192615.html

CBS/AP) NEW YORK Prosecutors have charged a man with murdering actress Adrienne Shelly, who was found hanging from a shower rod in her West Village office last Wednesday, CBS 2 News has learned. Sources tell CBS 2’s Ti-Hua Chang a construction worker has allegedly confessed to the crime.

Police have charged 19-year-old Diego Pillco, of the 300-block of Prospect Avenue in Brooklyn, with second degree murder.

Sources tell CBS 2’s Ti-Hua Chang that Pillco, a construction worker, apparently confessed to the crime.

More at link...

Sounds like Ostrow was awfully quick to conclude he needed a witness just because he didn't hear from her for a few hours. My hubby would probably just assume I was upset with him for some reason, or maybe I was out of the office and forgot I my cellphone was muted.

This was an instance where I didn't suspect the husband at all. I know we usually do, and I know the statistics support it. But I have to admit as a man, as a husband, I'm sometimes distressed by how quickly people try to paint a husband's behavior as suspicious.

Lest anyone think I'm picking on them, I have to say I'm guilty of having done this a lot. I just sensed no suspicion from police towards Andy Ostroy (the Post got his name wrong in one section, it's Ostroy) and frankly, after reading several articles about this, I was erring towards stranger murder.

And now it looks like it was about as senseless as those ever get.

Steve

I never suspected her husband...I thought it was likely a suicide until this morning when I heard an illegal immigrant construction worker murdered her. Just awful. Prayers for her family and especially her hubby and little girl.

misterallgood said:

This was an instance where I didn't suspect the husband at all. I know we usually do, and I know the statistics support it. But I have to admit as a man, as a husband, I'm sometimes distressed by how quickly people try to paint a husband's behavior as suspicious.

Lest anyone think I'm picking on them, I have to say I'm guilty of having done this a lot. I just sensed no suspicion from police towards Andy Ostroy (the Post got his name wrong in one section, it's Ostroy) and frankly, after reading several articles about this, I was erring towards stranger murder.

And now it looks like it was about as senseless as those ever get.

Steve
Thanks for saying this Steve. I avoided this topic yesterday, for fear any words I might type wouldn't come out sounding right and I would offend the poster. I do respect everyone's right to voice their own opinions.

It really is heartbreaking to read in these threads when everyone "jumps" on the husband/boyfriend before all the facts are in. I know statistics say that it usually is the husband/boyfriend but, without the facts to support the accusations, it's almost like a witchhunt most times.

It's a sad commentary on our society if we first think of a "loved one" as the culprit in crimes first, and strangers second. And before anyone decides to jump me... I too am guilty of this behavior at times.

MagicRose99 said:
It's a sad commentary on our society if we first think of a "loved one" as the culprit in crimes first, and strangers second. And before anyone decides to jump me... I too am guilty of this behavior at times.

Unfortunately, statistics show that is most often IS someone close to the victim, and yes that is a sad commentary on our society. However, I also agree that people should wait for information before jumping to conclusions about someone's guilt.

From March 2008:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...lams-killer-sentenced-25-yrs-article-1.285765

The heartbroken widower spoke during a charged Manhattan state Supreme Court hearing that ended with Justice Carol Berkman sentencing Pillco, an illegal immigrant from Ecuador, to 25 years in prison. The judge said he'll be deported after serving his time...

Pillco, 20, confessed to attacking the acclaimed actress-director when she caught him pilfering her purse; he pleaded guilty to manslaughter last month.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leannamj
Back