Serial killers

santos1014

Nana to Madelynn and Ethan
Reaction score
Website
profile.myspace.com
I know there is a particular number involved with this...FBI says there are currently X amount of active serial killers in the US at this moment...Can anyone provide me with that figure or a link to such?
Thanks.

santos1014 said:
I know there is a particular number involved with this...FBI says there are currently X amount of active serial killers in the US at this moment...Can anyone provide me with that figure or a link to such?
Thanks.
Answers.com says the FBI states there are 35-50 active serial killers in any given year (see Notes near the bottom of the page).

If I had to do it over again (my life) I think I'd like to research what makes this happen to someone. Maybe come up with a "cure".

Marie said:
Answers.com says the FBI states there are 35-50 active serial killers in any given year (see Notes near the bottom of the page).

And because of the incredible backlog of localities testing DNA and uploading to CODIS, I'll wager that the true number is much, much higher.

Heck, four years ago it was estimated that BATON ROUGE, one city in one state, had at LEAST three serial killers operating........2 have since been caught, and nobody has ever mentioned the third since. But prostitutes have probably continued to disappear.

GlitchWizard said:
If I had to do it over again (my life) I think I'd like to research what makes this happen to someone. Maybe come up with a "cure".
I just finished a book- about Serial Killers. This was a doctor, can't remember her name right now, and took the book back to the library LOL
She states in her book that serial killers are born as such. That somewhere in the womb, "something" bad happens. She doesn't seems to think that environment or abuse cause it. But, she has seen brains of serial killers after execution eg-John Wayne Gacy, and she sees no abnormalties. She feels that they never grow from the infancy stage mentally and emotionally, deep down, no matter how normal they appear. She spent many hours, days months with these killers. She also states that they seem to "need" to kill.
Insane and evil.

I don't think I buy the "something happened in the womb" theory - but I'm willing to bet there's a chemical answer somewhere. Something lacking, or too much of something.

The reason they "seem" normal is they ARE normal - with all the ranges of fears, love, kindness and whatever as anyone else - but they have this one thing going on with them - some call it evil, some call it anger issues, or impulsiveness, or whatever. Maybe different reasons for each one - but the fact that most of them are intelligent, nice, largly normal folks is what scares me.

santos1014 said:
I just finished a book- about Serial Killers. This was a doctor, can't remember her name right now, and took the book back to the library LOL
She states in her book that serial killers are born as such. That somewhere in the womb, "something" bad happens. She doesn't seems to think that environment or abuse cause it. But, she has seen brains of serial killers after execution eg-John Wayne Gacy, and she sees no abnormalties. She feels that they never grow from the infancy stage mentally and emotionally, deep down, no matter how normal they appear. She spent many hours, days months with these killers. She also states that they seem to "need" to kill.
Insane and evil.

I haven't made my mind up yet, as to why they do what they do. Arleen Wornous <sp> seemed to have a need for revenge. Some others, such as Bundy, were very much normal in their lives, outside of the killings. I would like to be able to step into their minds, just to see what they are thinking.

Probably wouldn't help me understand, probably just scare me more.

I think it can be different "causes" and even combinations of things. I think some people are born with some sort of chemical screw up that no matter how good their life is, they're going to be bad to evil. Then there are those who through influences of their childhood "go bad".

I know this sounds weird but serial killers fascinate me so much. I would love to sit down with them and really get inside their brain. And find out what makes them "tick". That to me would be so interesting.:crazy: I know, im crazy.

kgeaux said:
And because of the incredible backlog of localities testing DNA and uploading to CODIS, I'll wager that the true number is much, much higher.

Heck, four years ago it was estimated that BATON ROUGE, one city in one state, had at LEAST three serial killers operating........2 have since been caught, and nobody has ever mentioned the third since. But prostitutes have probably continued to disappear.

I have always said there is a problem in your area. In Houma, in Morgan City back years ago, remember I am from there originally and I see patterns. No Dr. Godwin will come up with something that is not known if you look. There are serials in Lousiana and some have migrated. Look at Danny Rollings.

Not enough attention has been paid.

santos1014 said:
I haven't made my mind up yet, as to why they do what they do. Arleen Wornous <sp> seemed to have a need for revenge. Some others, such as Bundy, were very much normal in their lives, outside of the killings. I would like to be able to step into their minds, just to see what they are thinking.

Probably wouldn't help me understand, probably just scare me more.
The one I write to, nearly everyday, doesn't even understand. I guess it will take someone that knows way more about the human brain than us to figure it out, if they don't even know themselves.

doubt serial killers are "born that way"---increasing evidence points to many serial killers and single murderers having pre-fontal lobe brain damage,also known as "soft" brain damage---the book Guilty By Reason Of Insanity sheds a lot of light on this--2 authors did brain scans on a big number of killers and found a large majority had this problem in their brain---cause is usually the result of childhood beatings and/or accidents,resulting in truama to the brain--Bobby Joe Long,Tampa's serial killer,had two serious motorcykle accidents resulting in head injuries both times--Danny Rollings was beaten hundreds of times---The "Monster of the Andes",the south american serial killer,who murdered dozens of children,was severly,beaten,raped,and tortured as a boy--but many serial killers have refused to be tested for brain damage,so this theory is incomplete--serial killers have been around for over a hundred years,and not just in the USA--Canada has had several,Britain,France,and Germany had serial killers many times over the years--1939,in France,the last public execution by guillotine,was a serial killer--Britain had child serial killers even during WW II---the wild,drug-taking comedian,Sam Kinison,was a very shy quiet boy until a car hit him,causing a severe head injury--after that,as his brother relates,he became a totallydifferent person,eventually becoming a frenzied teenage evangelist---some serial killers have other traits,such as cruelty to animals,illegitamacy,lower-middle class upbringing,born from prostitutes,or having a mother who was married three or more times--lots of self-hatred also,the attempted suicide rate of killers and serial killers is enormous--see The Mammoth Book Of True Crime for more info,Volumes 1 and 2

I know from my daughter's head injury, that blows to the head DEFINITELY screw up some wiring. She's been quick to anger, sometimes acting completely furious - over stupid stuff. She doesn't hurt anyone or act out - but it's different from before.

cynpat2000 said:
I know this sounds weird but serial killers fascinate me so much. I would love to sit down with them and really get inside their brain. And find out what makes them "tick". That to me would be so interesting.:crazy: I know, im crazy.
Not at all. now if you said you wanted to know how it feels to be a serial killer...

Peter Hamilton said:
doubt serial killers are "born that way"---increasing evidence points to many serial killers and single murderers having pre-fontal lobe brain damage,also known as "soft" brain damage---the book Guilty By Reason Of Insanity sheds a lot of light on this--2 authors did brain scans on a big number of killers and found a large majority had this problem in their brain---cause is usually the result of childhood beatings and/or accidents,resulting in truama to the brain--Bobby Joe Long,Tampa's serial killer,had two serious motorcykle accidents resulting in head injuries both times--Danny Rollings was beaten hundreds of times---The "Monster of the Andes",the south american serial killer,who murdered dozens of children,was severly,beaten,raped,and tortured as a boy--but many serial killers have refused to be tested for brain damage,so this theory is incomplete--serial killers have been around for over a hundred years,and not just in the USA--Canada has had several,Britain,France,and Germany had serial killers many times over the years--1939,in France,the last public execution by guillotine,was a serial killer--Britain had child serial killers even during WW II---the wild,drug-taking comedian,Sam Kinison,was a very shy quiet boy until a car hit him,causing a severe head injury--after that,as his brother relates,he became a totallydifferent person,eventually becoming a frenzied teenage evangelist---some serial killers have other traits,such as cruelty to animals,illegitamacy,lower-middle class upbringing,born from prostitutes,or having a mother who was married three or more times--lots of self-hatred also,the attempted suicide rate of killers and serial killers is enormous--see The Mammoth Book Of True Crime for more info,Volumes 1 and 2
But think about how many people have had head trauma and aren't serial killers.

I think it is way too complicated. It is such a small percentage of the population that it's got to be DNA related. Has anyone studied DNA from serial killers?

justice2 said:
But think about how many people have had head trauma and aren't serial killers.

I think it is way too complicated. It is such a small percentage of the population that it's got to be DNA related. Has anyone studied DNA from serial killers?
If you think about the human brain, and the bazillion different pieces and parts(Chemicals, electrical impulses, etc.) that make it work (or work incorrectly) it makes it easier to see how one person can just be sensitive to the sun, one person can change personality or have seizures, another looses memory and someone can't control murderous impulses due to a knock on the head.

I don't know of any studies of anyone doing research on DNA of serial killers. I'd like to see a comprehensive study into the "complicated" answers, rather than just the social aspects. A large percentage of serial killers might fit into a certain profile socially, but I know the one I write to didn't have a brain injury, and his mother is supportive with very little abuse in his past. He has what he calls a "bad place" (which sounds a bit like depression, when he talks about it) and then took his anger out with murder. To me, that impulse control is something that is in the brain that he doesn't have. (I call it "brake fluid" when I talk to him about it.)
http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/bb/neuro/neuro01/web2/Solano.html

This article has a really neat "explanation" for the escalation of behaviors of people that we see so often in the crimes we read about.

GlitchWizard said:
If you think about the human brain, and the bazillion different pieces and parts(Chemicals, electrical impulses, etc.) that make it work (or work incorrectly) it makes it easier to see how one person can just be sensitive to the sun, one person can change personality or have seizures, another looses memory and someone can't control murderous impulses due to a knock on the head.

I don't know of any studies of anyone doing research on DNA of serial killers. I'd like to see a comprehensive study into the "complicated" answers, rather than just the social aspects. A large percentage of serial killers might fit into a certain profile socially, but I know the one I write to didn't have a brain injury, and his mother is supportive with very little abuse in his past. He has what he calls a "bad place" (which sounds a bit like depression, when he talks about it) and then took his anger out with murder. To me, that impulse control is something that is in the brain that he doesn't have. (I call it "brake fluid" when I talk to him about it.)
http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/bb/neuro/neuro01/web2/Solano.html

This article has a really neat "explanation" for the escalation of behaviors of people that we see so often in the crimes we read about.
Glitch, it's interesting that you write to one. How did you get started doing that?

santos1014 said:
She states in her book that serial killers are born as such.
I think you're referring to "My Life Among the Serial Killers" by Helen Morrison.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melissawilkinson44
Back