NY NY - Robin Murphy, 17, Carmel, 9 April 1995

HollywoodBound

Reaction score
I lived about two towns over from Robin when she went missing from NY, I lived in CT and the case made headlines in my area for quite a while after her abduction. Before Robin was abducted the suspect would come to my school because he had a girlfriend in my high school.
I think of this case a lot and wanted to post it here. The following is from the Charley Project site.

Murphy was scheduled to meet her boyfriend, Matt Esposito, for dinner in their hometown of Carmel, New York on April 9, 1995. She was last seen at approximately 7:30 p.m., walking in the Shop-Rite Plaza Shopping Center (alternatively called the Carmel Center or the Nichols Plaza Shopping Center) on Route 52. Murphy never arrived at the restaurant and has never been heard from again. The shopping center is less than one mile from her residence.Murphy's vehicle was located near the Burger Kingrestaurant in the mall's parking lot shortly afterwards. Her keys, wallet, purse and checkbook were discovered in a marshy, grassy area behind the center several days later. Esposito was questioned regarding Murphy's case and cleared as a possible suspect early in the investigation.A psychic told authorities that he believed Murphy's remains were in the Tilly Foster Mine quarry near Carmel. Investigators searched the area with dive teams in September 1999 but failed to locate any evidence related to her case. The psychic claimed that Murphy's body was near the numbers "5," "7" and "9." The houses surrounding the quarry are numbered in the specified order.Authorities announced that Howard J. Gombert Jr. was a suspect in Murphy's disappearance after his arrest on sexual assault and child endangerment charges in March 2000. He was taken into custody after raping his live-in girlfriend and was sentenced to 30 years in prison. Investigators stated that the endangerment counts were related to the woman's case. Gombert previously resided in Carmel and was employed at a laundromat in the shopping center where Murphy disappeared. There were reports that Gombert may have known Murphy in 1995. Anthony DiPippo, who was convicted together with Andrew Krivak of the 1994 murder of an eleven-year-old girl, claims Gombert is responsible for that child's murder and Murphy's. Gombert worked at a laundry at the Shop-Rite Plaza Shopping Center in 1995 was the last person to see Murphy alive. He has never been charged in connection with her disappearance.Authorities stated that unspecified evidence connected to Murphy's case was discovered outside of Carmel in March 2001. A submersible device searched for additional materials in the Tilly Foster Mine quarry in December 2002. Officials said that the 2001 discoveries led them to the area, but they declined to elaborate. Murphy liked to wear black clothing in 1995; she also enjoyed writing and listening to rock music. She dropped out of high school prior to her disappearance to take a job at a ShopRite supermarket. Murphy's disappearance remains unsolved. Foul play is suspected in her case.

518DFNY - Robin Frances Murphy

murphy_robin.jpg
robin_frances_murphy_2.jpg

Robin, circa 1995

<MOD NOTE: Original link broken; edited to include current link and images as of October 5, 2022>

Last edited by a moderator:
Robin, it's been so long since we lost you.16 years since that nite you walked out of the house, never to be seen again. Your father has joined you, trying to drown his broken heart. Your little sister is 22 now. She & your 2 brothers still hurt 7wonder what went down. I feel you & your Dad around me many times; ty for the visits. I want to help your mother alleviate a bit her ongoing anguish/anger & find out what happened that nite. I still am seeking......
Jeanette

I just submitted a possible match for Robin Murphy to the Doe network. They have an unidentified girl from a picture(they do not know if she is alive or dead)---not known who she is---HOTCASE #3--- I thought she looked quite a bit like Robin(hair is worn in a shorter style and different color, It states that Robin dyed her hair black)-- The nose, the teeth lips and smile are what really gets me--so very similar--But i almost fell outa my seat when I read what Robin was last wearing--a black and white plaid flannel shirt--that is what the girl in the picture is wearing!! Does anyone know if Robin had her hair cut shorter at one time?

:bump: for Robin, missing 18 years tomorrow. :(

Snipped:

Robin was scheduled to meet her boyfriend, Matt Esposito, for dinner in their hometown of Carmel, New York on April 9, 1995. She was last seen at approximately 7:30 p.m., walking in the Shop-Rite Plaza Shopping Center (alternatively called the Carmel Center or the Nichols Plaza Shopping Center) on Route 52. Robin never arrived at the restaurant and has never been heard from again. The shopping center is less than one mile from her residence.

Last edited by a moderator:
Over the past two years I have experienced very weak communications but I believe Robin to be close to red building with a small stream near by. I have more detailed information but unable to search the exact location as it is private property.
I am hoping someone here can advise me on how to proceed as I am not about to walk into the local police station and go " Hi I am psychic!!!!"
Happy to speak with anyone else looking for Robin.

to TheHunter

I had missed your posts in February this year. I am a close family friend of the Murphy's. I checked out your pic HOTCASE #3 on the Doe Network. The girl in the pic is not Robin. Robin had long dyed black hair that was a dark reddish brown before she changed the color. In '95 when she vanished, she still had her hair long & dyed black.

I pray someone will id that girl in that Doe Network pic. It's time to find out what happened not only to Robin but many others missing.

http://www.lohud.com/story/news/cri...ne-carmel-teens-disapearance-baffles/7460007/

Police had little to go on, although Murphy's parents felt investigators did not do enough initially, treating it more as a runaway than a missing-person's case...

Gombert told police he had spoken with Murphy at the plaza that night but denied any wrongdoing...

In 2001, Carmel police announced they had new evidence in the case but did not say what it was. It never panned out. It apparently was a piece of jewelry that New Milford, Conn., police seized from Gombert's car when they arrested him for the sexual assault for which he's now serving 30 years.

http://www.lohud.com/story/news/investigations/2016/06/09/robin-murphy-suspect/85661402/

The prime suspect in Putnam County&#8217;s biggest mystery &#8212; the 1995 disappearance of 17-year-old Robin Murphy &#8212; had her underwear in a suitcase when he was arrested five years later in an unrelated sexual assault case, new court documents reveal...

He is also a key figure in the case of Josette Wright, a 12-year-old Putnam County girl whose skeletal remains were discovered in November 1995...

Gombert knew Murphy because his girlfriend at the time was a friend of hers. He was first questioned by police the following night. Five days later he tried to commit suicide by overdosing on sleeping pills outside his father&#8217;s home and was admitted to Danbury Hospital.

Date Missing: 04/09/1995

ROBIN FRANCIS MURPHY

DOB: 01/11/1978
Sex: Female
HGT: 5'09"
WGT: 140 lbs.
Hair: Black
Eyes: Blue
Race: White

Other Information: Robin left her residence en route to a local restaurant to meet a friend. She was last seen on foot at Carmel Plaza, Route 52 in Carmel where her car was found. Foul play is suspected.

http://www.criminaljustice.ny.gov/missing/#/missing-child/15

getImage

In the context of the similar case of Josette Wright that happened just before Robin's disappearance I have a few questions:

What relationship does Anthony DiPippo, Andrew Krivak, Matt Esposito, and Howard Gombert Jr have to one another if any?

Per the articles:
Whereabouts Of Teen-Ager Baffles Police
Suspect in 1995 Putnam teen disappearance had her underwear

Who were Gombert's associates/friends?

Who else worked and/or frequented the laundromat that Gombert worked at? Did they too have previous sex offender records or accusations? Any other stores in the plaza employ and/or have individuals frequent them that could fit the profile?

Did Gombert have the necessary equipment, materials, and chemicals given his job at the local laundromat to completely dispose of her body?

What kind of vehicles did Gombert have access to?

Did he have access to tractor trailer truck containers or the equivalent to possibly stuff Robin's body into? If so where there any UIP reports where a body matching Robin's description were found from trucking or distribution companies from April 1995 into 1996?

How was the area searched where her were items found? Metal detectors employed? Soil scanning/analyzing equipment and/or ground penetrating radar included? Were there any chemicals and/or material found at that site that could be linked to the laundromat?

What kind of profile was developed for Gombert? What were his hobbies, life skills, education, background, passions, talents etc and that of those that surrounded/associated with him?

Why did he have Robin's underwear in a suitcase? What else was found when he was arrested?

Last edited:
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
UIP 7297

Estimated PMI is hours on April 10th, 1995

Does eyecolor change during PMI? Other than weight/age discrepancy(was Robin really 140lbs?) is it possible that someone could change their hair color or an individual use chemicals found at a laundromat to achieve the same result in short notice?

Can anyone get DNA comparisons to Robin?

In the context of the similar case of Josette Wright that happened just before Robin's disappearance I have a few questions:

What relationship does Anthony DiPippo, Andrew Krivak, Matt Esposito, and Howard Gombert Jr have to one another if any?

Per the articles:
Whereabouts Of Teen-Ager Baffles Police
Suspect in 1995 Putnam teen disappearance had her underwear

Who were Gombert's associates/friends?

Who else worked and/or frequented the laundromat that Gombert worked at? Did they too have previous sex offender records or accusations? Any other stores in the plaza employ and/or have individuals frequent them that could fit the profile?

Did Gombert have the necessary equipment, materials, and chemicals given his job at the local laundromat to completely dispose of her body?

What kind of vehicles did Gombert have access to?

Did he have access to tractor trailer truck containers or the equivalent to possibly stuff Robin's body into? If so where there any UIP reports where a body matching Robin's description were found from trucking or distribution companies from April 1995 into 1996?

How was the area searched where her were items found? Metal detectors employed? Soil scanning/analyzing equipment and/or ground penetrating radar included? Were there any chemicals and/or material found at that site that could be linked to the laundromat?

What kind of profile was developed for Gombert? What were his hobbies, life skills, education, background, passions, talents etc and that of those that surrounded/associated with him?

Why did he have Robin's underwear in a suitcase? What else was found when he was arrested?

is there a way to check to see if the identity’s match? Could the dates be in error?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back