Thread: Meth Epidemic - Lisa Ling

Meth Epidemic - Lisa Ling

Just saw the National Geographic program on meth. It scared the crap out of me for many reasons, but the most fascinating aspect was how people AGED using it. They showed a progression of arrest pictures across the years, and it was creepy. People lose their teeth, smoking of course ages, as does the lack of sleep, but the worst was the face-picking which results from "meth bugs". People hallucinate that bugs are itching them, so they scratch and pick.

Not that I need to be "scared straight", but if I were a teenager looking to experiment with drugs, that would have convinced me very quickly to stay away from meth.

Here's a link to the program - http://www.drugfree.org/Portal/DrugI..._Examines_Meth

When I was working at kroger...grocery store we had a couple that were meth users who would come in all the time and try to steal things and they were always bleeding from the face and stratching there face and arms. They looked so horrible, you would think that people that see this would stay away from it. Also I always caught them with there hands in the candy bins...you know the open candy in grocery stores...which I would never buy by the way. They were stratching there face and putting there dirty hands in them bins. But yeah kids should see how much they age and how horrible it is for them.

I thought from the title of this thread that Lisa Ling was the latest victim of meth usage! Whew.

OneLostGrl is offline I'm going against the grain- I'm going sane
    Quote Originally Posted by mindi77
    When I was working at kroger...grocery store we had a couple that were meth users who would come in all the time and try to steal things and they were always bleeding from the face and stratching there face and arms. They looked so horrible, you would think that people that see this would stay away from it. Also I always caught them with there hands in the candy bins...you know the open candy in grocery stores...which I would never buy by the way. They were stratching there face and putting there dirty hands in them bins. But yeah kids should see how much they age and how horrible it is for them.
    Yuk!! ugosh-ughh, Mindi, really, they put their nasty hands in there? UgghGosh!

Quote Originally Posted by OneLostGrl
    Yuk!! ugosh-ughh, Mindi, really, they put their nasty hands in there? UgghGosh!

well they were actually just eating right out of it, I went and told my managers but I don't know if they did anything about it...but yeah really gross

I got an email from my friend in Indiana this morning telling me that her X-husband was just arrested last night for operating a meth lab out of his house... He also has custody of 2 of her children by him we will see what happens there!

Here's a link to the page with the before and after pictures. All these people look so lost:

http://www.drugfree.org/Portal/DrugI...s/photo_4.html

Eww what are those open sores? How do you do meth is it by needle? They look like they have aids or something...grose

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMom
    Here's a link to the page with the before and after pictures. All these people look so lost:

How awful!
    -
    My opinion and nothing but my opinion.

Tor:Con Index link below. Will show you the probability of a tornado happening in your area.
    http://www.weather.com/news/tornado-torcon-index

FEMA's link for Emergency Supplies list below or what you need to survive for three days in case help is not immediately available to you.
    http://www.ready.gov/document/family-supply-list

You can also purchase a weather radio which will inform you of severe weather even if your electricity goes out. Runs on batteries of course.

Meth is nasty! It ruins the life of the user (and their loved ones!) and it's also a big drain on social services and foster care resources because someone needs to take care of their children.
    Step right up and see the Yakwoman! Only 25 cents a look!

Quote Originally Posted by Mygirlsadie
    Eww what are those open sores? How do you do meth is it by needle? They look like they have aids or something...grose
    From what I've seen on shows like Intervention, they either smoke it or snort it, but there may be other ways. I wouldn't know because I would never ever go near that stuff. Yuk!
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Mygirlsadie
    That's the picking at the meth bugs. So creepy and nasty.

The before and after pics don't even look like the same people. Horrid how it physically alters them in such a short time. Meth is dangerous stuff and I didn't know what it does to people.

I will show this thread to my kids--- how scarey, and a point of reality-

i've seen something like this before...."before & after" pics...shewwww...just awful

Quote Originally Posted by close_enough
    i've seen something like this before...."before & after" pics...shewwww...just awful
    I showed my 12 year old daughter, and although she was disgusted--- and as much as we talk about hings like this- I am not sure if she saw the reality, i was hoping for-- i was looking for more reaction from her- is she too young to get it?

I've been emailed the other website too. It's pretty gross.

http://www.rotten.com/library/crime/...thamphetamine/

yeah,I saw pictures like that before also on TV a year or two ago--horrendous--think every adolescent should be exposed to these before-and-after pictures in a school setting--It'll scare the hell out of them

I guess I am not very sympathetic to meth use...I have to admit that the woman with the really curly frizzy hair in the after pic actually made me laugh, even though its not a funny topic.
    I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for pretending to be someone I'm not.

I had a very good friend who had AIDS. He was a meth user. Everyone assumed the sores on his face and hands were from AIDS but they were meth
    use. Very sad and he is no longer with us. At one time he was a married man with a beautiful wife and three beautiful children. Then he came out and ruined himself and died leaving a horrible legacy for his family. Coming out is not all happy and gay, pardon the tasteless pun.

One of my nieces is now a meth addict. She spent 9 months in jail staying clean and gaining weight, but the minute she got out she went back to her "friends" and dealer boyfriend. So much for that. The battle begins again. I guess it is the hardest addiction to beat. I don't have much sympathy for users either.

I think these sites are excellent and it is so important to show these to kids. They should be VERY afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdieBoo
    I guess I am not very sympathetic to meth use...I have to admit that the woman with the really curly frizzy hair in the after pic actually made me laugh, even though its not a funny topic.
    She reminded me of the "Bride of Frankenstein", from that old movie with Elsa Lanchester.