Woman Fatally Bitten by Snake in Church

"Snake handling is based on a passage in the Bible that says a sign of a true believer is the power to "take up serpents" without being harmed."

Does this mean she wasn't a true believer according to her church's principles?

Off Topic--
Surprising fact I learned on CMT this summer: John Rich of Big & Rich fame is the son of a snake-handling minister! This fact makes some of his antics on stage and video look tame!

Ahem!

1) Said snake deserves the assumption of innocence until proven guilty

2) Snake handling for religious purposes is illegal in KY, so it's very unlikely a snake would willingly break the law

3) Those who handle snakes in KY churches are subject to $100 fines but my sources tell me that Ms Long is unlikely to be charged or fined due to extenuating circumstances

LovelyPigeon, I got a chuckle out of your post.

I would hate to visit a church and not realize it was a snake handling church beforehand. I would totally freak out. Not that this poor woman was just visiting...just threw that into the mix. : )

Floh, I think you are correct that the other church members would believe she was bitten because she was not a true believer.

There's lots of those around here as well (WV). I think it's just a leftover Appalachian culture that some still practice.

SewingDeb - trust me, if you ever run across one of these churches (usually out in the boonies) you'd run rather than go in!

Never really understood why it's illegal. America was formed for religious freedoms. I do realize it's obviously not safe, but I think they should be allowed to "worship" as they choose.

Same reason suicide is illegal. To protect idiots from themselves. :slap:

Suicide is illegal?

How does one prosecute someone "guilty" of suicide? Cremate them?

Floh said:
"Snake handling is based on a passage in the Bible that says a sign of a true believer is the power to "take up serpents" without being harmed."

Does this mean she wasn't a true believer according to her church's principles?
Don't know if she wasn't a true believer but that passage means something entirely different to me. I see it as we are out in the world amongst evil and temptation (the serpent) but it doesn't get the best of us...our faith in the Lord protects us. The Bible is full of parables open to interpretation.

LisainWV said:
There's lots of those around here as well (WV). I think it's just a leftover Appalachian culture that some still practice.

SewingDeb - trust me, if you ever run across one of these churches (usually out in the boonies) you'd run rather than go in!

Never really understood why it's illegal. America was formed for religious freedoms. I do realize it's obviously not safe, but I think they should be allowed to "worship" as they choose.

LOL I'm in the Appalachians in NC...I could run across one here.

I agree, they should be allowed their religious freedom...no matter how strange it seems to us.

I might just get my kid to go to church if she could find one that would let her bring her pet snakes.

My question is, why use poisonous ones?

LovelyPigeon said:
Ahem!

1) Said snake deserves the assumption of innocence until proven guilty

2) Snake handling for religious purposes is illegal in KY, so it's very unlikely a snake would willingly break the law

3) Those who handle snakes in KY churches are subject to $100 fines but my sources tell me that Ms Long is unlikely to be charged or fined due to extenuating circumstances

That's good... :)

LisainWV said:
Suicide is illegal?

How does one prosecute someone "guilty" of suicide? Cremate them?
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

SadieMae said:
Don't know if she wasn't a true believer but that passage means something entirely different to me. I see it as we are out in the world amongst evil and temptation (the serpent) but it doesn't get the best of us...our faith in the Lord protects us. The Bible is full of parables open to interpretation.

Also, the Apostle Paul literally fulfilled that verse when he was sitting around a fire and was bitten by a poisonous snake and didn't die.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlternativeLuck
Back