2006 - The Quietest Hurricane Year in a Decade

Dark Knight

Reaction score
The quietest hurricane year in a decade officially ends in three weeks, but meteorologists and disaster managers on the Gulf and Florida coasts agree that the season is already over.
"We dodged a bullet this year," says meteorologist Gerry Bell of the National Weather Service's Climate Prediction Center. "If there was ever a time that we needed a break, we got one."

After nine Atlantic storms that mostly stayed out to sea, there hasn't been another since Hurricane Isaac in late September.

The month of November, last of the season's six months, is also its lightest, averaging less than one storm every two years since the 1850s. Forecasters see little likelihood of another storm this year.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2006-11-07-hurricane-season_x.htm?csp=1

Thats because we already got them all last year. Thank heavens this year was so much milder.

Amen, thank you God for the break! Florida and the Gulf really needed it.

Dark Knight said:
"We dodged a bullet this year," says meteorologist Gerry Bell of the National Weather Service's Climate Prediction Center. "If there was ever a time that we needed a break, we got one."
Ummm, no. I think if there was ever a time that we needed a break, it was LAST year. :)

I don't know, I never knew I needed a hurricane brake until Katrina came through. i never paid attention to natural disasters until I was affected by Katrina. I am selfish I guess.

Dark Knight said:
The quietest hurricane year in a decade officially ends in three weeks, but meteorologists and disaster managers on the Gulf and Florida coasts agree that the season is already over.

After nine Atlantic storms that mostly stayed out to sea, there hasn't been another since Hurricane Isaac in late September.

The month of November, last of the season's six months, is also its lightest, averaging less than one storm every two years since the 1850s. Forecasters see little likelihood of another storm this year.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2006-11-07-hurricane-season_x.htm?csp=1

Ya gotta just keep on about the hurricanes don't ya - I was wondering what you were doing with all your free time NOT having to report hurricane activity!

2sisters said:
I don't know, I never knew I needed a hurricane brake until Katrina came through. i never paid attention to natural disasters until I was affected by Katrina. I am selfish I guess.
No. If you're selfish, that means I am too. And I'm not. So you're not. :)

It really is amazing how dramatically different things were this year. I would love it if this was a new, longtime trend, but I doubt it.

This was nice but totally strange too......I've been in Hunker Down Mode for so long that it seems normal now. Cheers to all for the No News that was Good News!

Thank God.The people in that area needed a time to recoop.In Ohio the tornado season was light also.May next season be the same.

[sarcasm: on] That is because George Bush wanted the Repulicans to do better and since he's controlling the weather, decided to make it light. Doesn't he get any credit for the light season?

Maybe we should ask Al Gore if there was some global cooling that went into effect that helped us out this year.

Ok I know keep it in the Political Pavillion but the whole global warming causes hurricanes thing just had to come into play with me here.

I AM THANKFUL FOR THE LIGHT HURRICANE SEASON :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back