Westmoreland Sues

RiverRat

Patsy Ramsey to the Left
Reaction score
NOVEMBER 9--A friend of JonBenet Ramsey's father has filed a lawsuit against an anonymous web surfer who has posted online messages claiming that the man killed the six-year-old beauty queen as well as another person. In a lawsuit filed this week in U.S. District Court in Atlanta, Rod Westmoreland alleges that someone using the handle "undrtheradar" has authored posts this year on two message boards that claim he murdered JonBenet in December 1996 and killed a pizza delivery man in a bizarre August 2003 bombing incident. Westmoreland, a 54-year-old financial consultant who is only identified by his initials in the complaint, is a friend of John Ramsey, JonBenet's father. On the morning the girl was found missing from her room and a kidnap note was discovered in the family's Colorado home, John Ramsey called Westmoreland for help in gathering ransom money. In his complaint, a copy of which you'll find below, Westmoreland contends that he has been maligned by posts on message boards hosted by Topix.net and the Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community. He intends to learn the real identity of "undrtheradar" via discovery in the case, which was filed by attorney Lin Wood, who has previously represented John Ramsey and his late wife Patsy in several libel actions.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/1109061jonbenet1.html

Since Tricia is now tied up in this process with Moreland, we have to respect the fact that she cannot make any comments, so let's not bombard her!

Love,
The Rat

RiverRat said:
Since Tricia is now tied up in this process with Moreland, we have to respect the fact that she cannot make any comments, so let's not bombard her!

Love,
The Rat
Yikes, I hope it is over soon. That is awful that she isdealing with that.

That link above doesn't work--probably because of the pending litigation?

If someone publicly blamed such a horrific crime on me & I was innocent, you better believe I would seek resolution in the courts, too. JMO.

Thanks, Tybee. That link worked. This "Undrtherader" was obviously threatening Westmoreland, so I hope they found out who it is.

Is WS and Topix being sued also? I don't see how they could be. I would hope not----you can't police everything that people post. The only person who should feel the ramifications of this is the poster himself.

julianne said:
Thanks, Tybee. That link worked. This "Undrtherader" was obviously threatening Westmoreland, so I hope they found out who it is.

Is WS and Topix being sued also? I don't see how they could be. I would hope not----you can't police everything that people post. The only person who should feel the ramifications of this is the poster himself.

Not to my knowledge.

I'm a bit surprised that if someone posts on a crime forum they could be sued while theorizing about a named person's possible involvement.

Furthermore, did Fleet White ever sue John Ramsey when he said he thought Fleet was a suspect in JonBenet's murder? I can't find any posts here by this poster and he/she is not a member anymore. I was hoping to read exactly what was written. Wouldn't it have to be something quite specific to be slander?

Scandi

julianne said:
If someone publicly blamed such a horrific crime on me & I was innocent, you better believe I would seek resolution in the courts, too. JMO.
I would too Julianne.

If the person is just a poster though, theorizing on a crime forum, wouldn't that be taken into consideration? I don't know, just thinking aloud! LOL

Gees, I think of all the awful things we have written about possible suspects Aruban officials involved in the Natalee Holloway case. :eek: All with good reason of course. ;)

Scandi

Scandi,

I see what you mean, and I agree, but this poster wasn't just theorizing. There are posts included in the court papers, and he posted that he knew firsthand that he killed JB and a pizza delivery guy, he said he knew if for a fact. Plus, he posted things like the numerical portion of Westmorelands street address and made statements like he was going to come to his house. Said he had a nice pool (which he does according to the papers) and a big wine cellar (which he does according the the papers) and really went far and above what I would consider just theorizing. Just my opinioin, though.

Everything I've ever seen posters here post is just theorizing, ya know like "what if..." or "in my opinion", or whatever.

Thanks. I knew I should have read that link, but I am suppose to be working!~ :rolleyes:

Scandi

Holly cow, see what happens when I’m away? Weird stuff starts to happen, like Mark Karr and now this. I think Westmoreland has every right to sue. Scary stuff. When did all this start? Sounds like another nut. This should be interesting…

the difference in with this poster is that he really is making direct threats to this man. It's more than calling someone a murderer. When I first started reading it, I thought they didn't have a case, but it's clear to see whoever wrote this stuff could be a direct threat and with the bizarre events in this case, why take a chance?

I'd prefer to settle it my way.

Nedthan Johns said:
Holly cow, see what happens when I’m away? Weird stuff starts to happen, like Mark Karr and now this. I think Westmoreland has every right to sue. Scary stuff. When did all this start? Sounds like another nut. This should be interesting…

NED, WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN..I NEEDED YOU MY KNIGHT.

Ok, that was way dramatic but I have missed you..

Don't worry kids. We are not being sued and I am proud to say that if you read the complain on thesmokinggun.com you will see that the posts where undrtheradar threatens R.W. happened on Topix. Not on WS. We would never allow that to happen. And, our wonderful mods did edit out R.S's real name when undrtheradar posted this earlier this year.

We have a great crew here. Thank you all.

I have seen undertheradar lurking here off and on, though I thought he/she had been banned.
He/She started off appearing normal, then degenerated very quickly into a fruit loop..

to save the day :blushing:

I come and read once in awhile. I wonder how John Ramsey is doing now a days?

My first thought was how will they zero in on who 'the' fruit loop really is.

It appears to me, in my thinkin' process that for the 'under' person to have made such 'in the know'postings' (pool/wine cellar/addy), that he must have been in Mr. W's circle of '?friends?'.

OR OR that he had a BIG AXE to grind with Mr. W.

Wonder how LW will come out on this 'potential' money maker?

LW has not had any BIG money making BIG cases lately, has HE?

Camper said:
My first thought was how will they zero in on who 'the' fruit loop really is.

It appears to me, in my thinkin' process that for the 'under' person to have made such 'in the know'postings' (pool/wine cellar/addy), that he must have been in Mr. W's circle of '?friends?'.

OR OR that he had a BIG AXE to grind with Mr. W.

Wonder how LW will come out on this 'potential' money maker?

LW has not had any BIG money making BIG cases lately, has HE?

Not necessarily. Apparently, Mr W's name and address appeared on the list of people who donated to John Ramsey's political campaign and his pool would show up in his garden in Google Earth (not that I've tried it!). The wine cellar may have been a lucky guess?

This person sounds like a real fruitloop. I'm not sure what will be achieved by finding him. Some of his rants are still at Topix (in the quoted post part) and he claims to be religiously motivated - doing God's work. It's possible that if and when he gets caught he'll receive treatment rather than punishment.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back