Nana to Madelynn and Ethan
Reaction score
Website
profile.myspace.com
pxl_trans.gif

coreAdsCreate('wnsz_22', 'loc', '100');
coreAdsCreate('wnsz_1', 'loc', '100');
pxl_trans.gif

#storyBody UL { list-style-position: inside; margin-left: 15px; padding-left: 0; } EmailPrint javascript:changeFont(3);Text Size11/9/06
[font=Verdana,Arial]Police Arrest Mother Of Starving Teen Who Weighed 33 Pounds[/font]
33-Pound Teen Hospitalized
pxl_trans.gif

5662316_BG1.jpg
pxl_trans.gif

By Frances Kuo

From WAVE3 (LOUISVILLE) -- A Louisville woman faces some serious charges for allegedly starving her daughter. Metro detectives say the victim is her 19-year-old daughter who weighs only 33 pounds. WAVE 3's Frances Kuo has the story.

Authorities were alerted to the case when the teenager failed to show up at Moore Traditional High School for the new school year.

"She had her student in her class last year, and this year she had not shown up, so she started calling the house to see where she was," said Maurice Risner, a spokesperson for Jefferson County Public Schools.

The teacher grew so worried that she paid a visit to the student's home, and asked the teen's mother, 44-year-old Ronda Ferrell, where her daughter was.

The teacher said Ferrell didn't let her in the house.

"When the child showed up for school the next day, they noticed the child was very malnourished," said Risner.

Detective John Fogle, who is investigating the case, described the teen as "bony -- skin deteriorating to the point you could see the bones underneath the skin. It reminded me of a Third World country where you see images of a child starving to death, and it was right here in America."

Detectives were not able to communicate with the teen because she suffers from cerebral palsy.

However, they did speak with Ferrell and arrested her on Tuesday.

"The mother told me the child just doesn't eat," Fogle said. "I said: 'ma'am, the child has cerebral palsy, you have to be patient and take the time to feed your child.' And again the mother just told me the child doesn't eat. To be perfectly blunt, it was like she didn't care. She did not care."

A judge released Ferrell Wednesday on the condition she not have any contact with her daughter.

Police are thankful the outcome was not worse.

"If it weren't for the teacher, she probably wouldn't be here today," Fogle said.

The teen is now being cared for at an undisclosed health facility.

Ferrell also has a 13-year-old daughter who did not appear to be malnourished, but Child Protective Services also removed that child from the home.

Ferrell faces a charge of caretaker neglect, a felony which punishable by five to 10 years in jail.

Online Reporter: Frances Kuo

Online Producer: Michael Dever

Is that the mother? If so, she doesn't look malnourished. It is amazing how this idiot parents who starve these children are very well fed themselves. I hope that someone withholds food from her for about 10 years. Then, she can get down to 33 pounds and see what it is like.

Her teacher did save her life. She was even feeding her in the emergency room.

Good lord "mom" (and I use that term loosely), put her in an assisted living home if you can't and won't take care of her.

I've spent days and nights feeding orphan animals around the clock and she wouldn't even feed her daughter?

LisainWV said:
Good lord "mom" (and I use that term loosely), put her in an assisted living home if you can't and won't take care of her.

I've spent days and nights feeding orphan animals around the clock and she wouldn't even feed her daughter?
I agree Lisa. If her daughter wouldn't eat, then she should have had that child to see a doctor. Even if she didn't have the money/insurance, there are agencies she could have gotten help from for her disabled daughter. The daughter's condition surely qualified her for Social Security Disability. I have a friend who gets SSI for her son who has cerebal palsy. Hmmmm..now that makes me wonder if the mother was getting SSI benefits to care for her child. If her daughter was in assisted living guess who gets the checks, not Mom.

Yes...thank God for the teacher. She is a hero. People are pretty upset about this case. That poor girl..... My DH's niece is a senior at that school. She doesn't know her but it is definitely big news there.

Good God, I thought I was opening a thread about an anorexic teen. How do people do stuff like this to their kids?

2sisters said:
Good God, I thought I was opening a thread about an anorexic teen. How do people do stuff like this to their kids?
I thought the same thing! This "woman" should be starved down to 33 lbs.She looks like she never misses a meal.:loser:

POSTED: 5:31 pm EDT August 21, 2007
UPDATED: 5:43 pm EDT August 21, 2007

LOUISVILLE, Ky. --
A Louisville mother received the maximum sentence Tuesday for nearly starving her disabled daughter to death.

Ronda Ferrell received the stiffest penalty possible, with sentencing options ranging from probation to 10 years in prison.

Judge Kathleen Voor Montano said only one sentence was appropriate.

snip

“I'm trying to contain my emotions right now because I didn't think she was going to get 10 years,” Det. Dan Fogle said. “I mean I'm just glad for Danyelle.”

http://www.wlky.com/news/13943480/detail.html

I can't find her in the Kentucky DOC. It appears she may have gotten out already. Of course, I tried to look up her name with a different spelling and the site went down so I only searched the name in the article.

I'm not finding any criminal record for her through any of the sites I use. I generally don't look for the actual record if I get a clear sentence in the news, so this is very interesting. I will keep checking and see if I can find anything.

The reason I looked is because one of the links had a video that she might be released in 30 days. I believe it was a program for first? time offenders called Shock probation.

eta: It was the video in the link Belinda posted above my first post.

Good catch, alsmom! This is really disturbing to me. I can find absolutely nothing on this woman. I have scoured every place I can think of. No criminal record, no court records on the case. Nothing. Unless there is some difference in her last name. I have run numerous searches on just the last name and didn't see anything I thought was her. I'm wondering if I need to just start pulling records on everybody. It takes a lot more time, so I usually don't if there is a news story with the info. There has to be something I am missing. They even have a comment from LE on the sentence. Anybody have any ideas here?

PRE - TRIAL CONFERENCE

1. Ronda L. Ferrell – 06CR3650. (Knowing Abuse or Neglect of an Adult, Assault 1st Degree) Ms. Ferrell (DOB 11/20/62) is charged in connection with the abuse of her 19 year old daughter, who has cerebral palsy. A Pre-Trial Conference is scheduled for Monday, February 19, Division 10, at 9:15 A.M. Todd Lewis is the prosecutor.

http://www.louisvilleprosecutor.com/Media_Folder/MR021907.htm

SENTENCING

1. Ronda L. Ferrell – 06CR3650. Ms. Ferrell (DOB 11/20/62) pleaded guilty to Knowing Abuse or Neglect of an Adult in connection with the abuse of her 19 year old daughter, who has cerebral palsy. Sentencing is scheduled for Monday, July 23, Division 10, at 1:30 P.M. Todd Lewis is the prosecutor.

http://www.louisvilleprosecutor.com/Media_Folder/MR072307.htm

Thanks for the updates...I would love to now how the daughter is doing....what a great teacher/human being. Thank goodness.

how is it possible to get 10 years and be out in 30 days?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back