GUILTY CO - Rebecca, 39, Macie, 4, & Garrison Bingham, 2, die in hit & run, 10 Nov 2006

ajc2804

Reaction score
DENVER — A hit-and-run driver struck a couple crossing a street with a stroller, killing a woman and her two young children and injuring the youngsters' father, police said. Two men were later arrested.

Wreckage from the stroller was strewn across the busy intersection Friday night in the popular LoDo district of restaurants, clubs, stores and sports venues.

"I went down there and it was a well-lit street," said police spokesman Sonny Jackson. "There was no excuse for it. It is one of the most horrific accidents we've had."

The father was in stable condition at Denver Health Medical Center.

The license plate of the red pickup was knocked off in the crash, leading police to the vehicle's owner and to the arrests in neighboring Westminster, authorities said.

The parents were walking with their 4-year-old and 2-year-old children, crossing lawfully at a lighted intersection, Jackson said.

He said police didn't know how fast the truck was going, but witness Alice Maynard told the Rocky Mountain News it appeared to be going about 50 mph.

"It was really fast, and it hit this family and didn't even stop and didn't even slow down," Maynard told KUSA-TV.

Lawrence Trujillo, 36, was arrested on three counts of investigation of vehicle homicide, as well as leaving the scene of an accident and resisting arrest, police said. Eric Phil Snell, 35, was arrested on three counts of investigation of accessory to a crime.

Jail officials said they didn't know whether the suspects had lawyers

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,228824,00.html

This is so very sad. I don't see how anyone could keep going after they hit someone. May they rest in peace.

lawrence trujillo.....???

you know,, maybe in places like mexico city people just hit orphan children on the highway and leave their bodies there to rot like animals... but that's not how we do things in america. wake up USA.. or get used to it.

I don't get it. Why the name being repeated? Is there something in this coward's history that is already public? Did he used to live in Mexico?????? :waitasec: :::going to google::::

kidzndogznme said:
I don't get it. Why the name being repeated? Is there something in this coward's history that is already public? Did he used to live in Mexico?????? :waitasec: :::going to google::::
No, I think that the poster above was assuming that since the name Trujillo is predominantly a name of Hispanic heritage, that this person was born in Mexico City and that we'd (USA) better get used to things like this happening. Please.

reb, let's not turn this into a racial thing---no need for stereotypical anti-this, anti-that crap. The fact that this mans last name is Trujillo means squat. This would be as much of a tragedy if the drivers name was Smith, Jones, or Brown.

Take the hatred & racism elsewhere...it is offensive, not warranted and has nothing to do with this.

julianne said:
Take the hatred & racism elsewhere...it is offensive, not warranted and has nothing to do with this.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I was hoping that racism was not what the poster had intended. Actually went and googled the name Lawrence Trujillo and found nothing of interest. Sorry I am blonde. Anyway, I second the motion that this tragedy is just as awful no matter the heritage of the offender. Last names mean very little anymore anyway. America is a melting pot. Like it or don't but please respect the deceased children and keep the nasties out of this thread. Thank you.

Please dont take this as a racist comment, but I live in Texas and for the life of me I cannot understand how we allow people who cannot speak and read english to get a drivers license....I have come in contact with way too many Mexican Immigrants who cannot speak or read english but yet they own a vehicle and have a drivers license. Some have insurance and some do not. If they are caught without insurance they are given a small ticket.

I would be interested in knowing if this man was able to read english....for example could he read the speed limit sign? Does he have insurance to cover the medical costs for his victim?

Without putting down anyones post these are my thoughts on what little I have read of the case so far:

I suspect there is more to the story that we do not yet know and I doubt it has anything to do with whether or not anyone can read the language of this country. (Not saying that reading the language of the country one is in would not be an important safety feature for driving, just that I doubt it had any effect in this case.) No matter whether you can read at all or not, it is probably common knowledge almost everywhere in the world that it is wrong to use a vehicle to run over people crossing a road.
And, in the event that one does run over someone crossing the road, I am sure it is considered wrong to not stop and try to make things right or at least try to offer help and summon medical help for the victems. Injury, death and blood should look the same no matter what language I speak. Is it possible that life seems to be worth less in some countries? Yes I suppose one might make that argument but I cannot think of any country where it is considered permissable to do what happened in this case.

I suspect we will find there was drug use, alcohol or mental illness involved in this case.

sorry, folks, if you don't like the facts. i don't either. the facts are that in many other countries this kind of thing happens frequently. in mexico city (which is only one example) street children are often hit by speeding cars on the highways and just left there, because it's too dangerous to try to retrieve the bodies, and because, well- no one cares. my point was-- this is america,, YOU CAN'T GET AWAY with that kind of thing here!!
but it could be that drugs and/or mental illness are the main factors with this.. or, no insurance, and therefore no stop. or, a combination.
but it's a common thing that has been happening more & more frequently-- and like it or not, it's the truth and something we're going to need to face sooner or later... illegals with no insurance, who hit & run. (not saying he IS- we don't know yet. so don't have a hissy fit. just saying, in this case, the odds are high.) i know several people here who've been injured or paralyzed from this type of occurance. of course anyone is capable of a hit & run... but, like i said, if things don't change, expect more in the future, a LOT more. get mad at me all you want, it's not going to change the truth.

obviously,, we don't know what the circumstances are yet. but, i know what my bet is on. we'll see.

reb said:
sorry, folks, if you don't like the facts. i don't either. the facts are that in many other countries this kind of thing happens frequently. in mexico city (which is only one example) street children are often hit by speeding cars on the highways and just left there, because it's too dangerous to try to retrieve the bodies, and because, well- no one cares. my point was-- this is america,, YOU CAN'T GET AWAY with that kind of thing here!!
but it could be that drugs and/or mental illness are the main factors with this.. or, no insurance, and therefore no stop. or, a combination.
but it's a common thing that has been happening more & more frequently-- and like it or not, it's the truth and something we're going to need to face sooner or later... illegals with no insurance, who hit & run. (not saying he IS- we don't know yet. so don't have a hissy fit. just saying, in this case, the odds are high.) i know several people here who've been injured or paralyzed from this type of occurance. of course anyone is capable of a hit & run... but, like i said, if things don't change, expect more in the future, a LOT more. get mad at me all you want, it's not going to change the truth.

obviously,, we don't know what the circumstances are yet. but, i know what my bet is on. we'll see.
Oh, reb..... a few things
1. This is not a thread for venting about your views on illegal immigrants. Let it go already.
2. I'd be willing to bet you've never been to Mexico City, because for you to state that children OFTEN get run over by cars and left there BECAUSE NO ONE CARES would be laughable if it wasn't such an uneducated statement. I've spent time in Mexico City 3 times in the last 12 months on business. It is not a common occurrence for kids to get hit by cars on the highways and simply left there. I've never seen it happen once.
3. Sorry to burst your bubble, but people of Hispanic descent LOVE their children, and family is extremely important to us and we value our children immensely. You're "because, well-no one cares" statement is a joke.
4. You say that the "odds are high" in this case that the driver is illegal and has no insurance. You base that on ONE thing---the last name of Trujillo. Well let me tell you, I have a large family, and the name Trujillo figures prominently and EACH AND EVERY ONE OF MY FAMILY MEMBERS WITH THE LAST NAME TRUJILLO WAS BORN AND RAISED IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. FOR MANY GENERATIONS. I ALSO HAVE THE NAME LOPEZ IN MY FAMILY. AND HERNANDEZ. AND ARMIJO. ALL BORN & RAISED HERE IN USA. I'M SURE YOU WOULD LIKE TO SPOUT OFF MORE RACIST, ILL-CONCEIVED NOTIONS OF EXACTLY THE HORRENDOUS THINGS WE ARE CAPABLE OF DOING-- KNOWING NOTHING MORE THAN LAST NAMES, BUT SPARE ME YOUR DRIVEL. WE ARE ALL LAW ABIDING, INSURED, CARING, LOVING, EDUCATED, HIGHLY SKILLED PEOPLE WITH HIGH PAYING JOBS WHO PAY OUR TAXES JUST AS YOU DO.
4. EDUCATE YOURSELF AND OPEN YOUR MIND. I PROMISE IT WON'T HURT AS MUCH AS YOU THINK IT WILL. :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap:

FROM YOUR FELLOW AMERICAN, LIKE IT OR NOT!!!!!!!!!

And, if you know SEVERAL people who have been paralyzed and injured by illegal immigrants (based on what, their last name?) then maybe you're bad luck!!!

Sorry for yelling folks, and I'm sorry that this thread was hijacked for someone to inject their racist viewpoints. But I had to respond to defend not only myself, but my family also because this attack was based on nothing more than one of my family's names and I take serious issue with that! By the way, no relation to the creep who did the hit and run. There are THOUSANDS of Trujillos who have been BORN and raised in America.

julianne said:
Oh, reb..... a few things
1. This is not a thread for venting about your views on illegal immigrants. Let it go already.
2. I'd be willing to bet you've never been to Mexico City, because for you to state that children OFTEN get run over by cars and left there BECAUSE NO ONE CARES would be laughable if it wasn't such an uneducated statement. I've spent time in Mexico City 3 times in the last 12 months on business. It is not a common occurrence for kids to get hit by cars on the highways and simply left there. I've never seen it happen once.
3. Sorry to burst your bubble, but people of Hispanic descent LOVE their children, and family is extremely important to us and we value our children immensely. You're "because, well-no one cares" statement is a joke.
4. You say that the "odds are high" in this case that the driver is illegal and has no insurance. You base that on ONE thing---the last name of Trujillo. Well let me tell you, I have a large family, and the name Trujillo figures prominently and EACH AND EVERY ONE OF MY FAMILY MEMBERS WITH THE LAST NAME TRUJILLO WAS BORN AND RAISED IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. FOR MANY GENERATIONS. I ALSO HAVE THE NAME LOPEZ IN MY FAMILY. AND HERNANDEZ. AND ARMIJO. ALL BORN & RAISED HERE IN USA. I'M SURE YOU WOULD LIKE TO SPOUT OFF MORE RACIST, ILL-CONCEIVED NOTIONS OF EXACTLY THE HORRENDOUS THINGS WE ARE CAPABLE OF DOING-- KNOWING NOTHING MORE THAN LAST NAMES, BUT SPARE ME YOUR DRIVEL. WE ARE ALL LAW ABIDING, INSURED, CARING, LOVING, EDUCATED, HIGHLY SKILLED PEOPLE WITH HIGH PAYING JOBS WHO PAY OUR TAXES JUST AS YOU DO.
4. EDUCATE YOURSELF AND OPEN YOUR MIND. I PROMISE IT WON'T HURT AS MUCH AS YOU THINK IT WILL. :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap:

FROM YOUR FELLOW AMERICAN, LIKE IT OR NOT!!!!!!!!!

And, if you know SEVERAL people who have been paralyzed and injured by illegal immigrants (based on what, their last name?) then maybe you're bad luck!!!

Sorry for yelling folks, and I'm sorry that this thread was hijacked for someone to inject their racist viewpoints. But I had to respond to defend not only myself, but my family also because this attack was based on nothing more than one of my family's names and I take serious issue with that! By the way, no relation to the creep who did the hit and run. There are THOUSANDS of Trujillos who have been BORN and raised in America.
Excellent post!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Sending all our Prayers to the surviving dad in hospital - this tragic accident is unimagineable; cannot even comprehend his position.

Mexican or not they did not stop for a reason. Drugs in the car, outstanding warrants, he could have been driving with a suspended license, or he may have been an illegal. I don't care what he is, he needs be run over at 50 MPH. In an instant he took away everything from the father of these 2 kids and it sickens me.

PolkSaladAnnie said:
Sending all our Prayers to the surviving dad in hospital - this tragic accident is unimagineable; cannot even comprehend his position.
Thank you, we need to get back on track with this thread. 2 children and their mom are gone forever. A father who was spending QT with his children is now left with nothing but heartache. They found the schmuck who did this and I am hoping they throw the book at him. He needs to be gone from society forever. Let's focus on the ugliness of the CRIME and leave race out of it. I have things I could add to that particular discussion as well but I won't out of respect for the dead. Can we talk more about them please????:doh:

I have no idea why people cause these horrible accidents and then run. They usually get caught and then it's even worse on them for leaving the scene of an accident.

Why was this guy going so fast? This poor unsuspecting family. This wasn't really an accident, IMHO, it was a crime.

I wish the husband a speedy recovery and my thoughts and prayers are with all the family members and friends of the victims.

Bless this mother and her two small children who senselessly lost their lives.

JMHO
fran

fran said:
This wasn't really an accident, IMHO, it was a crime.

I wish the husband a speedy recovery and my thoughts and prayers are with all the family members and friends of the victims.

JMHO
fran

You're right, fran - and I should have acknowledged as much. :blushing: My heart aches for the father; I swear I wouldn't want to carry on without them, if it was me :(

kidzndogznme... it's awful: I hope they tested the driver's blood for alcohol and substance abuse: because you surely have to be out of your mind to crash through a young family and not stop!

btw: As I'm not familiar with this type of crime/offense in USA - had he stopped when the incident happened, would/could this have been culpable-manslaughter? Or might he be charged with triple murder... or what?

Clearly this was not planned, but through his sheer selfish wrecklessness, 2 babies and a mom died.

fran said:
I have no idea why people cause these horrible accidents and then run. They usually get caught and then it's even worse on them for leaving the scene of an accident.

Why was this guy going so fast? This poor unsuspecting family. This wasn't really an accident, IMHO, it was a crime.

JMHO
fran
I agree, Fran. This WAS NOT an accident--it was a horrible, senseless crime. This poor family has now been permanently severed, and for what??

I don't know why people think they can leave the scene of the accident and not get caught. ESPECIALLY when there are numerous witnesses around. With a good forensic team, it's easy to find people when they leave the scene. Tire tracks, broken pieces of the vehicle, paint scrapings...etc. Yet, in this case they didn't even need to do any investigation because the perp left his license plate there! Even without the fear of getting caught, I honestly do not know how some people can even live with themselves knowing what they are responsible for. It's bad enough to be speeding and driving so recklessly, but then LEAVING your poor victims to lay there dying in the street??? Any punishment he receives from the law in this world, is nothing compared to the punishment he has waiting for him on the other side.

Prayers to the husband for a speedy recovery. The physical part of recovering will be the easiest, I'm sad to say, it's the emotional part that will be the hardest to overcome, and sometimes the loss is so severe that one never overcomes it.

PolkSaladAnnie said:
You're right, fran - and I should have acknowledged as much. :blushing: My heart aches for the father; I swear I wouldn't want to carry on without them, if it was me :(

kidzndogznme... it's awful: I hope they tested the driver's blood for alcohol and substance abuse: because you surely have to be out of your mind to crash through a young family and not stop!

btw: As I'm not familiar with this type of crime/offense in USA - had he stopped when the incident happened, would/could this have been culpable-manslaughter? Or might he be charged with triple murder... or what?

Clearly this was not planned, but through his sheer selfish wrecklessness, 2 babies and a mom died.
PolkSaladAnnie--- I think that had he stopped, the worst charges would have driving recklessly, and maybe involuntary vehicular manslaughter. That is of course, if he was sober. If they found him to be under the influence, that makes it a felony. It is an automatic felony, though, to leave the scene of a motor vehicle accident with injuries. So, it may have been bad for him to stay, but he pretty much sealed his fate when he made the stupid and criminal decision to leave. Plus, had he stayed, he very well could have offered some sort of assistance to the victims, and possibly could have saved a life. We'll never know, though, and this is such a tragic situation for this family. Lock 'em up and throw away the key!!!

Thanks, julianne: the key word you used here is "involuntary".

You're right, throw away that key. For 2 reasons... 1. for not stopping - as there's no way in heaven the driver could claim "I didn't know I hit anyone"... and 2. if he'd stopped and was found to be under any substance influence.

Stories like this just blow me away...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Countrygirlwv
Back