1033 users online (237 members and 796 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Man Dead 2 days on tiolet in hospital

Man dead for two days on hospital toilet

Published: 10th November 2006 10:26 CET
    Online: http://www.thelocal.se/5464/

A 57-year-old man was dead on a hospital toilet for one and a half days before being discovered by staff, it has emerged.

The man had been admitted to Södersjukhuset's casualty department in Stockholm on 26th October suffering from pains in the chest and abdomen. Doctors took samples from him, and decided to keep him in overnight.

But when a nurse came to his bed at 7:30pm to give him his test results, his bed was empty and the patient had disappeared. Staff searched for the man in the immediate vicinity of the ward, but did not find him.

Nurses assumed that the man had left the hospital, so they discharged him. It was only nearly two days later that the man was found in a toilet in the adjacent x-ray department. He appeared to have gone there on his own, locked himself in the toilet and died.

"He had been there for one and a half days," said hospital spokeswoman Ulrica Franzén to The Local.

Franzén said she could not reveal whether doctors had considered the man's condition to be life-threatening, but she did say that he had not been confused.

"If someone is in a confused state then we keep an eye on them, but that was not judged to be the case here."

She said that a more thorough search of the hospital for the man had not been judged necessary.

"We are a very big hospital, and it's not unusual for people to just leave. We didn't look for him because he was not confused."

The hospital has reported the incident to the National Board for Social Welfare and to the police.

James Savage

Not a hospital I want to ever be in.

Gozgals

And now that the insurance company knows he was still IN the hospital, his estate will be billed.

Kidding.

forget the dead person part....they don't clean the toilets everyday?

Quote Originally Posted by Taximom
    And now that the insurance company knows he was still IN the hospital, his estate will be billed.

Kidding.
    No doubt.

poco is offline A cat will blink when struck with a hammer.
    ON the toilet? Seems like he would have fallen off.

So often times it happens that we live our life in chains, and we never even know we have the key. ...Eagles, "Already Gone"

Quote Originally Posted by LisainWV
    Good point

Quote Originally Posted by LisainWV
    Good point

Don't you think that a smell would be coming from that body after that long a time?

And about the toilets, that's gross.

Quote Originally Posted by deespoohbear
    Don't you think that a smell would be coming from that body after that long a time?

And about the toilets, that's gross.
    I'm wondering how many dead people are laying around this hospital?

How can they not clean the bathrooms every couple of hours!?

The sanitary conditions in this place are just awful. I hope they get what they deserve.

GEEZ
    Gozgals

Housekeeping gots some 'splainin to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Gozgals
    I'm wondering how many dead people are laying around this hospital?

How can they not clean the bathrooms every couple of hours!?

The sanitary conditions in this place are just awful. I hope they get what they deserve.

GEEZ
    Gozgals
    At the hospital I used to work at, the bathrooms in the ED lobby were cleaned ONCE A WEEK. On Sunday mornings. That's it. No joke. And that is in an Emergency Department.....sick, sick, sick. If people only REALLY knew. You assume that a hospital is kept clean, as I once did. It's really disgusting. One time there was actually maggots coming up from the sink drain in the mens bathroom in the emergency dept lobby. The only time the place was cleaned was when JCAHO would come to visit---they are the federal agency that gives hospitals their accreditation. When they would come, the hospital would hire about 20 people from temp agencies for a week to come clean.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by julianne
    At the hospital I used to work at, the bathrooms in the ED lobby were cleaned ONCE A WEEK. On Sunday mornings. That's it. No joke. And that is in an Emergency Department.....sick, sick, sick. If people only REALLY knew. You assume that a hospital is kept clean, as I once did. It's really disgusting. One time there was actually maggots coming up from the sink drain in the mens bathroom in the emergency dept lobby. The only time the place was cleaned was when JCAHO would come to visit---they are the federal agency that gives hospitals their accreditation. When they would come, the hospital would hire about 20 people from temp agencies for a week to come clean.
    You should anonymously report this hospital to JCAHO, and they'd do surprise inspections!
    This is the year to locate Mark Dribin http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ht=Mark+Dribin NamUs MP#876 and Ilene Misheloff http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...lene+Misheloff NamUs MP#6410 and bring them home to their families!

Parents watch your children. Free-range parenting leads to more child victims.

Cruelty to humans begins with cruelty to animals.

I believe in closure, not forgiveness. I'm also unapologetically judgemental.

JeSuisJuif
    JeSuisCharlie

Quote Originally Posted by LinasK
    You should anonymously report this hospital to JCAHO, and they'd do surprise inspections!
    Oh, I have. About 5 different times. Twice for the filthy conditions, and three times for subpar patient care.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by julianne
    Oh, I have. About 5 different times. Twice for the filthy conditions, and three times for subpar patient care.
    Good for you! It's a public service. JCAHO is a national organization. I've reported a couple of nursing homes to our state health department and brought down the heat on them!
    This is the year to locate Mark Dribin http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ht=Mark+Dribin NamUs MP#876 and Ilene Misheloff http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...lene+Misheloff NamUs MP#6410 and bring them home to their families!

Parents watch your children. Free-range parenting leads to more child victims.

Cruelty to humans begins with cruelty to animals.

I believe in closure, not forgiveness. I'm also unapologetically judgemental.

JeSuisJuif
    JeSuisCharlie

SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    It bothers me that they say that if a patient is confused they keep an eye on them. He was not so.....

Are they saying they don't keep an eye on most patients in that hospital? The man had chest pains. It seems like that would be enough reason to keep a check on him! This really makes me angry!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast