Man Dead 2 days on tiolet in hospital

Gozgals

Reaction score
Man dead for two days on hospital toilet

Published: 10th November 2006 10:26 CET
Online: http://www.thelocal.se/5464/

A 57-year-old man was dead on a hospital toilet for one and a half days before being discovered by staff, it has emerged.:confused:

The man had been admitted to Södersjukhuset's casualty department in Stockholm on 26th October suffering from pains in the chest and abdomen. Doctors took samples from him, and decided to keep him in overnight.

But when a nurse came to his bed at 7:30pm to give him his test results, his bed was empty and the patient had disappeared. Staff searched for the man in the immediate vicinity of the ward, but did not find him.

Nurses assumed that the man had left the hospital, so they discharged him. It was only nearly two days later that the man was found in a toilet in the adjacent x-ray department. He appeared to have gone there on his own, locked himself in the toilet and died.

"He had been there for one and a half days," said hospital spokeswoman Ulrica Franzén to The Local.

Franzén said she could not reveal whether doctors had considered the man's condition to be life-threatening, but she did say that he had not been confused.

"If someone is in a confused state then we keep an eye on them, but that was not judged to be the case here."

She said that a more thorough search of the hospital for the man had not been judged necessary.

"We are a very big hospital, and it's not unusual for people to just leave. :bang: We didn't look for him because he was not confused."

The hospital has reported the incident to the National Board for Social Welfare and to the police.

James Savage

Not a hospital I want to ever be in.

Gozgals

And now that the insurance company knows he was still IN the hospital, his estate will be billed.

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Kidding.

forget the dead person part....they don't clean the toilets everyday?

ON the toilet? Seems like he would have fallen off.

Don't you think that a smell would be coming from that body after that long a time?

And about the toilets, that's gross.

deespoohbear said:
Don't you think that a smell would be coming from that body after that long a time?

And about the toilets, that's gross.
I'm wondering how many dead people are laying around this hospital?:banghead:

How can they not clean the bathrooms every couple of hours!?

The sanitary conditions in this place are just awful. I hope they get what they deserve.

GEEZ
Gozgals

Gozgals said:
I'm wondering how many dead people are laying around this hospital?:banghead:

How can they not clean the bathrooms every couple of hours!?

The sanitary conditions in this place are just awful. I hope they get what they deserve.

GEEZ
Gozgals
At the hospital I used to work at, the bathrooms in the ED lobby were cleaned ONCE A WEEK. On Sunday mornings. That's it. No joke. And that is in an Emergency Department.....sick, sick, sick. If people only REALLY knew. You assume that a hospital is kept clean, as I once did. It's really disgusting. One time there was actually maggots coming up from the sink drain in the mens bathroom in the emergency dept lobby. The only time the place was cleaned was when JCAHO would come to visit---they are the federal agency that gives hospitals their accreditation. When they would come, the hospital would hire about 20 people from temp agencies for a week to come clean.

julianne said:
At the hospital I used to work at, the bathrooms in the ED lobby were cleaned ONCE A WEEK. On Sunday mornings. That's it. No joke. And that is in an Emergency Department.....sick, sick, sick. If people only REALLY knew. You assume that a hospital is kept clean, as I once did. It's really disgusting. One time there was actually maggots coming up from the sink drain in the mens bathroom in the emergency dept lobby. The only time the place was cleaned was when JCAHO would come to visit---they are the federal agency that gives hospitals their accreditation. When they would come, the hospital would hire about 20 people from temp agencies for a week to come clean.
You should anonymously report this hospital to JCAHO, and they'd do surprise inspections!

LinasK said:
You should anonymously report this hospital to JCAHO, and they'd do surprise inspections!
Oh, I have. About 5 different times. Twice for the filthy conditions, and three times for subpar patient care.

julianne said:
Oh, I have. About 5 different times. Twice for the filthy conditions, and three times for subpar patient care.
Good for you! It's a public service. JCAHO is a national organization. I've reported a couple of nursing homes to our state health department and brought down the heat on them!

It bothers me that they say that if a patient is confused they keep an eye on them. He was not so.....

Are they saying they don't keep an eye on most patients in that hospital? The man had chest pains. It seems like that would be enough reason to keep a check on him! This really makes me angry!

SewingDeb said:
It bothers me that they say that if a patient is confused they keep an eye on them. He was not so.....

Are they saying they don't keep an eye on most patients in that hospital? The man had chest pains. It seems like that would be enough reason to keep a check on him! This really makes me angry!
I know... I can't believe they just took it upon themselves to decide he had left AMA and discharged him without continuing to search the hospital for him!:banghead: :doh: Morons!:bang::loser:

LisainWV said:
forget the dead person part....they don't clean the toilets everyday?
I'd love to do as you say, but the next time I have to go potty in the hospital, I think I'll be worrying more about the dead person on the toilet than the germs!

Note to self: Go ahead and wet your pants in an emergency situation!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back