Giuliani Takes Step Toward '08 Bid

Beyond Belief

Reaction score
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Former New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani, a moderate Republican best known for his stewardship of the city after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, has taken the first step in a 2008 presidential bid.

The former mayor filed papers to create the Rudy Giuliani Presidential Exploratory Committee, Inc., establishing a New York-based panel that would allow him to raise money to explore a White House run and travel the country.

The four-page filing, obtained by The Associated Press, lists the purpose of the non-profit corporation "to conduct federal 'testing the waters' activity under the Federal Election Campaign Act for Rudy Giuliani."

The paperwork, dated last Friday, is signed by Bobby Burchfield, a partner at the DC-based law firm of McDermott Will & Emery, a firm that handles political work.

http://hosted.ap.org/icons/spacer.gif

Giuliani spokeswoman Sunny Mindel declined to comment. http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/G/GIULIANI_2008?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=HOME

:clap:

All I can say is he did a heck of a job getting NY cleaned up with good leadership. I imagine his affair will come up, but it doesn't mean he isn't a good leader. I think he will win, no matter whom he faces.

PrayersForMaura said:
...I imagine his affair will come up...
I think that his affair is public knowledge. Plus, hadn't he and his former wife been living separate lives for eons??? That's more than I can say about other politicians and/or their wives. ;)

nanandjim said:
I think that his affair is public knowledge. Plus, hadn't he and his former wife been living separate lives for eons??? That's more than I can say about other politicians and/or their wives. ;)
I hope so!! I am just worried that other candidates would use that against him. He is a great leader in my eyes!!

PrayersForMaura said:
I hope so!! I am just worried that other candidates would use that against him. He is a great leader in my eyes!!

One of the cool things about Rudy though , he doesn't care what people think of the way he lives his private life. He shows no shame or embarrasment nor does he offer any stupid excuses over anything he has chosen to do.

I doubt he'd be worried about anything "bad" coming out while running for president because we already know the bad stuff and still adore him!

OneLostGrl said:
One of the cool things about Rudy though , he doesn't care what people think of the way he lives his private life. He shows no shame or embarrasment nor does he offer any stupid excuses over anything he has chosen to do.

I doubt he'd be worried about anything "bad" coming out while running for president because we already know the bad stuff and still adore him!

This really confuses me, you guys, because everybody knew "stuff" about Clinton too. :waitasec:

Oh Juliani is wonderful, he got his dometic affair and violence right out in the open; so that's OK.

Clinton was right out in the open in the Oval OFfice, but oh that horrible man.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I see a double standard. Republican/Democrat

Republicans say Barack Obama is "not experienced enought". 7 years in the legislature and 4 in the federal Senate?

As Scarborough said on the air tonight, running New York City is not quite the same as runnning a whole country, understanding legislative process, and understanding foreign affairs.

We DESPERATELY need an expert on foreign affairs for our next President IMO.

I'm sure he's intelligent, but he's got too much baggage, and I'd much rather see an experienced Senator like Warner or even John McCain or Olympia Snowe run. (republican)

Marthatex said:
....As Scarborough said on the air tonight, running New York City is not quite the same as runnning a whole country, understanding legislative process, and understanding foreign affairs.
This was exactly my first thought when I heard this. This man has only led a City. It is a vast differenct to run a State let a lone a whole country. I would be very, very reluctant to put him in office because he got his face out there during 911.

And to tell the truth, any person who exploits 911 to run for President ought to be shot!

Re: Clinton
I can still see that man facing a camera saying to the nation:
"I did not have sexual relations with Ms Whatzername".

He's a liar and a cheat.

Beyond Belief said:
Re: Clinton
I can still see that man facing a camera saying to the nation:
"I did not have sexual relations with Ms Whatzername".

He's a liar and a cheat.
:waitasec: Huh... and what does that make Giuliani? He's a liar and a cheat too if he had an affair... and being up-front about it doesn't change the facts. Any man (or woman) who would lie and cheat on a spouse would probably lie and cheat on his/her country too...

MagicRose99 said:
:waitasec: Huh... and what does that make Giuliani? He's a liar and a cheat too if he had an affair... and being up-front about it doesn't change the facts. Any man (or woman) who would lie and cheat on a spouse would probably lie and cheat on his/her country too...
Give me a break. How sanctimonious can you be? Have you never done anything wrong, or lied? Have you never done anything wrong to someone you love? Most of us have, it may not be an affair, but everyone hurts the people they love in some way. It's a given that we all sin, if that is the litmus test for holding office then no one would be in Washington.

This doesn't mean we shouldn't hold our elected officials to a high standard, but I am sick and tired of everyone acting as though there should be NO skeletons in a politician's closet. Of course there are, just as there are in all of ours. I have a lot more respect for someone who admits his screw-ups, as opposed to someone who tries to hide it or lie about it.

robinparten said:
Give me a break. How sanctimonious can you be? Have you never done anything wrong, or lied? Have you never done anything wrong to someone you love? Most of us have, it may not be an affair, but everyone hurts the people they love in some way. It's a given that we all sin, if that is the litmus test for holding office then no one would be in Washington.

This doesn't mean we shouldn't hold our elected officials to a high standard, but I am sick and tired of everyone acting as though there should be NO skeletons in a politician's closet. Of course there are, just as there are in all of ours. I have a lot more respect for someone who admits his screw-ups, as opposed to someone who tries to hide it or lie about it.

Have you not read the previous posts? The point is the hypocrisy of POUNDING on Clington for what he did and NEVER Forgiving him, like Jesus says we should do, then the totally letting Juliani go about the whole thing.

What a joke! I wouldn't trust either one of them much. Sanctimonious? That was the Republicans during the Clinton debacle, for years and years.

Bill Clinton is ok in my book.

I personally am glad he lied about it. Can't imagine how I'd feel if he faced the nation and bluntly told us what had happened! It was NONE of my business anyway! His job and his personal life are two separate things entirely IMO

Marthatex said:
Have you not read the previous posts? The point is the hypocrisy of POUNDING on Clington for what he did and NEVER Forgiving him, like Jesus says we should do, then the totally letting Juliani go about the whole thing.

What a joke! I wouldn't trust either one of them much. Sanctimonious? That was the Republicans during the Clinton debacle, for years and years.

I find it hilarious to watch this support play out for him by people who castigated Clinton for his schennaigans. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

He has my vote! He is the talk all over town here today! Everybody I have talked to is voting for him....if he runs of course!!! Of course his private life will be brought up because that is politics but I could give a rats azz...at least he wasnt President (clinton cough cough) when he did his buisness...just like another poster stated...running NY isnt like running the whole country! :twocents:

robinparten said:

Oh, give ME a break! I am NOT running for office. And my post was in regards to the double standards people are setting here... Clinton lied and cheated; he is not to be forgiven. Guiliani lied and cheated but, oh, well! He's a saint and deserves to be President and run our country...

Excuse me? I personally don't want a known liar and a cheater running my country. My opinion... whether you agree or not. Guiliani is nothing special. He gained notariety from a tragedy, one, in my opinion he did not handle very well. And it sickens me to see him play on it again.

MagicRose99 said:
Oh, give ME a break! I am NOT running for office. And my post was in regards to the double standards people are setting here... Clinton lied and cheated; he is not to be forgiven. Guiliani lied and cheated but, oh, well! He's a saint and deserves to be President and run our country...

Excuse me? I personally don't want a known liar and a cheater running my country. My opinion... whether you agree or not. Guiliani is nothing special. He gained notariety from a tragedy, one, in my opinion he did not handle very well. And it sickens me to see him play on it again.
*gives you a break*

Why isn't he to be forgiven? It's really none of your business what he did in his private life, opinion or not.

I want a good liar in office. The better the liar, the better the politician. It's the ones who aren't as good or who slip up and get caught that we chastize in public. It's obvious there are more jerks around like the ones who do get caught, but until they do they look like saints in the public eye, and I'm fine with that. Also consider there are things as a people we shouldn't hear or know about for our own good, and also when dealing with foreign relations it's an asset to be a good liar for our national interests and security.

And in case you're wondering, I'm dead serious about this. There is no sarcasm intended in this post. Lie on!

Wasn't Giuliani quite an effective prosecutor before he became mayor?

We would have very few Presidents if we voted for them based on if they had affairs. I don't condone any of it,but some of our greatest leaders were not true blue to their wives,FDR being one of them. How about JFK,Eisenhower,LBJ. Those are just in modern times,who knows what went on in the past.
I love Guilliani. He cleaned up NY and on 9/11,he took control.I think being in charge of NYC is like being in charge of a mini USA. I think he could do it. If not the President,maybe VP with McCain.
Hows this for a race in 2008,Clinton/Obama vs McCain and Guilianni. That would be very interesting.

MagicRose99 said:

I guess no one is going to be running the country if you expect them to have been perfect. I am not condoning Clinton or Guliani for their past sins, but we have all done things wrong, including anyone who has ever led this country. The point is to learn from our mistakes and improve ourselves. With our past leaders (Kennedy, etc) the media didn't report on things like affairs and personal indiscretions, but now everything is fair game.

Also, I don't think Guliani is exploiting 9/11 at all. How is he, exactly? That's not his political platform, for goodness sake. He was a rock to a lot of people during that time, and people like to feel that they can count on their leaders to be calm and strong during times of crisis. I think that's what people are responding to as far as he is concerned.

ljwf22 said:
Wasn't Giuliani quite an effective prosecutor before he became mayor?
His claim to fame was taking down Mob Bosses and he did it well.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back