Did anyone see Oprah

Sally

Former Member
Reaction score
yesterday? I rarely watch her show but I saw the previews last week and wanted to see it. She had a woman on who claims she has discovered "the language of babies." I was prepared to be cynical but actually found it quite interesting and wonder if any of you saw it and what you tought.

I wish I had seen this one. We started using sign lang. with my youngest and it was great. My others spoke pretty early so I'm not sure that it would have helped them as much.

It's a neat idea!

I thought the show was great. What about the blind kid who uses sound to "see"!! Amazing,just like dolphins.

Sally said:
This is something entirely different. The "language" on the Oprah show is identifying the sound of newborns' cries to understand what they want. One cry means "I'm hungry" another I" need to burp and so on." Until seeing the show, all cries sounded the same to me.
Oh, I didn't see the show so didn't know.

I think with my first child I didn't know the differences but by the 3rd I knew for sure.

Was this the "baby whisperer"? I've seen her before, years ago.

i think its nice that they promote sign language at a young age.

other than that, i thought it was another case of making it harder than it needs to be.

i didnt see the program (i dont watch tv) but i read the report that floh posted.

at 18 months, most babies make themselves clear even if mama doesnt read or 'speak' sign language. (the baby in the report can say 'dirst' so hes not at all non verbal)

most of the mothers i know understand their babies needs from way before 8 months. im not even a mother, but can tell when a baby is hungry or needs changing or needs cuddles, just by looking/listening.

the only time that this would be really useful is when a baby is crying for no apparent reason, but i think that would need to address some abstract words, like 'hurt' 'nervous', 'bored' 'feeling neglected', etc.

Yes,this was entirely different and its really only from birth to 3 months. I do think as mothers most of us instinctively seem to know what our babies want,but it is still fascinating to me. And the most interesting is that the language is universal.

I didn't see it either, but I think sign language is a great thing to learn for all of us. If a baby is taught at an early age, it can not only benefit the child and it's care takers, but the Deaf community as well. American Sign Language is also widely accepted in school systems as a foreign language requirement. The signs for most words are very easy to learn, and the grammar can be picked up in school as they get older, especially if this catches on and sign laguage is taught in schools. :clap:

gardenmom said:
I didn't see it either, but I think sign language is a great thing to learn for all of us. If a baby is taught at an early age, it can not only benefit the child and it's care takers, but the Deaf community as well. American Sign Language is also widely accepted in school systems as a foreign language requirement. The signs for most words are very easy to learn, and the grammar can be picked up in school as they get older, especially if this catches on and sign laguage is taught in schools. :clap:
Is baby sign language the same as ASL?

I watched. It was a pretty good show. The girl that got half her head blown away in Iraq was really something. She's beautiful now and was expected to die but a brilliant Dr. refused to give up.

Oh, Todays show is Oprah interviewing a man that killed his 2 little girls.

Baby sign is modified ASL - there are some connections. We used baby signs with our daughter, and some other moms frowned on it thinking it would delay speech. It actually increased her speech, plus significantly reduced frustration.

Babies' motor skills develop before vocal abilities, so it makes sense. Plus, it's easy to integrate with daily life. Just teaching hungry, drink, nurse, more, and dog made a huge difference. She was pleased to get her point across and her eyes would light up when she communicated. Babies are thinking all the time - this amazed me in how much she was noticing that I wouldn't have known w/o sign.

Sally said:
This is something entirely different. The "language" on the Oprah show is identifying the sound of newborns' cries to understand what they want. One cry means "I'm hungry" another I" need to burp and so on." Until seeing the show, all cries sounded the same to me.

When my son was a baby I felt I knew his different cries for different reasons. His cry was shrill-ish (I know it's not a word) when he was hungry and when he was tired it was more of a throaty whine. When he was in pain it was a scream type cry.

But hell, who knows, my Bipolar was untreated at the time (LOL) so maybe I just thought I knew. *shrug*

OneLostGrl said:
When my son was a baby I felt I knew his different cries for different reasons. His cry was shrill-ish (I know it's not a word) when he was hungry and when he was tired it was more of a throaty whine. When he was in pain it was a scream type cry.

But hell, who knows, my Bipolar was untreated at the time (LOL) so maybe I just thought I knew. *shrug*
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: This post made my day! :laugh:

My daughter watched the show and called me telling me about it. She has a 10 week old baby girl and she says that it is very true what the lady said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer
Back