5 killed in Indiana plane crash

Dark Knight

Reaction score
Authorities scoured a cornfield Tuesday for remains of the co-founder of an Iowa marketing company, three of his employees and a pilot killed when their twin-engine plane crashed in rural northern Indiana.

Jeff White, spokesman for Two Rivers Marketing in Des Moines, said the company chartered the flight to travel between Ankeny, Iowa, to South Bend on Monday.

All five died on impact, LaPorte County Chief Deputy Coroner John Sullivan said. The cause of Monday night's crash was not yet determined, but officials were considering fog as a factor. Those living nearby told police they heard a noise that rattled windows.

The Cessna 303 crashed about 10 miles southwest of South Bend, shortly after takeoff from the South Bend Regional Airport, the Federal Aviation Administration said. There were no indications of trouble before the plane vanished from radar, officials said.

Two Rivers Marketing identified the victims, all from Iowa, as co-founder Tom Dunphy, 41, Eric Jacobs, 31, Josh Trainor, 23, and Leslie O'Bannon, 27. Also killed was pilot John M. Trewet, 45, officials said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061114/ap_on_re_us/brf_indiana_plane_crash&printer=1

So sad. There's been a lot of fog around here the past few days. So, fog being a factor definitely would be no surprise. :(

I have a question? Wasn't it a corn field in Iowa where Buddy Holly, Big Bopper and Richie Valens crashed back in the fifties? I think it was foggy then too.

This is very sad. 5 people perishing. I woudn't think it should be allowed for smaller planes to fly in foggy conditions.

montana_16 said:
I have a question? Wasn't it a corn field in Iowa where Buddy Holly, Big Bopper and Richie Valens crashed back in the fifties? I think it was foggy then too.

This is very sad. 5 people perishing. I woudn't think it should be allowed for smaller planes to fly in foggy conditions.

Yes, they had a gig at The Surf in Clear Lake, Iowa, I believe. My mom learned her dance moves there!

Eve

Thanks eve. I was a kid when that happened. I can't remember if it was 1958 or 1959. But I can still remember hearing the news and seeing the headlines back then.

It was such a tragedy. Even as a little kid at the time I was a big fan.

I now see that the crash was in Indiana. I guess since the people are from Iowa it made me think it was the same area.

Once again, my heart goes out to the 5 people in this story and their families and community.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back