Strong Leonid Meteor Shower Expected This Weekend

Dark Knight

Reaction score
Robert Roy Britt
Senior Science Writer
SPACE.com

The annual Leonid meteor shower could produce a strong outburst this weekend for residents of the North America and Western Europe.

A brief surge of activity is expected begin around 11:45 p.m. ET Saturday, Nov. 18. In Europe, that corresponds to early Sunday morning, Nov. 19 at 4:45 GMT. The outburst could last up to two hours.

At the peak, people in these favorable locations could see up to 150 shooting stars per hour, or more than two per minute.

"We expect an outburst of more than 100 Leonids per hour," said Bill Cooke, the head of NASA's Meteoroid Environment Office. Cooke notes that the shooting stars during this peak period are likely to be faint, however, created by very small meteoroid grains.

More at link:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20061114/sc_space/strongleonidmeteorshowerexpectedthisweekend&printer=1

Date and times for Florida, please.

poco said:
Date and times for Florida, please.
Click on the link, lol! :slap: I don't know more than the article gives you.

Dark Knight said:
Click on the link, lol! :slap: I don't know more than the article gives you.

Hmmmmm, but I thought you knew all ----- :slap: back

Oh excellent! i'll definitely be up for that. although i'm in Central Europe, so maybe i won't catch it?

i was shocked when i was in South Dakota earlier this year with my partner when he said he'd never seen a shooting star before the one i pointed out to him during the night!

it's because he's always lived in a city, i suppose.

it would be as well for us to get out of the city for this weekend to experience such a wonderful show.

thanks for the heads up! :)

Oh good, we'll be leaving square dancing about that time. When we get home, I'll turn out our big yard lights. We are way out in the country and when we turn out the yard lights it's really dark. Last night we moved the big feeders in from the pasture to refill. I had to tend the gate so the horses wouldn't get out. As I was waiting, I could see the milky way. You just can't see that in the city.

I've set my alarm for 4 a.m. - a chance of a lifetime, IMO. and i think those of you with kinder should make sure the kinder are up and ready for this. right now, 21:38, the sky is clear and starry! :)

for those of us in central europe:

Clouds over Europe may give way for Leonid meteor shower

Military communities across Europe might have the chance to see this weekend’s Leonid meteor shower early Sunday morning if the clouds clear up as predicted.

If cloud coverage lifts, space enthusiasts and onlookers should be able to witness the peak activity of the annual meteor shower, which should be at 5:45 a.m. Central European Time on Sunday. The shower could last up to two hours and enthusiasts might see up to 150 shooting stars per hour or more than two per minute, according to the Web site www.space.com.

Air Force Chief Master Sgt. Jeff Koch, operations superintendent for the 21st Operational Weather Squadron at Sembach Air Base, Germany, said Friday that he didn’t see a break in the clouds until Sunday.

“The best shot will be Sunday morning, probably between 4 to 7 a.m.,” he said.

More: http://www.estripes.com/article.asp?section=104&article=41599

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back2theGardenAgain
Back