1127 users online (284 members and 843 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

CO - Marie Ann Blee, 15, Craig, 21 Nov 1979

Marie Ann Blee
    Missing since November 21, 1979 from Craig, Routt County, Colorado.
    Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
    Date Of Birth: April 16, 1964
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 15 years old
    Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'3"; 100 lbs.
    Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Blonde hair; blue eyes.
    Marks, Scars, Tattoos: None
    Clothing: Purple collar v-neck top; brown velvetine vest; leather rope necklace with three multi color hand made beads; blue jeans; green ski jacket.
    Dentals: Available. Orthodontic correction completed about 3 months prior to disappearance and had braces removed.
    Fingerprints: Not available
    DNA: Available

Circumstances of Disappearance
    Blee was last seen at a dance at the Pavilion in Craig, Colorado during the evening of November 21, 1979. After the dance, she went to a party at Shadow Mountain mobile home park with Marty Doolin. When she failed to return home by the following morning, her parents reported Blee as missing. Doolin later told authorities that Blee informed him she had a ride home with an unidentified person at 1:30 AM - 2:00 AM. Attendees reported alcohol and drug use at the party. Doolin stated that he never saw Blee again.

Doolin was arrested and given a suspended sentence for attempted extortion one week after Blee vanished. He admitted that he made a phone call to her parents, in which he demanded $5000 in ransom for their daughter's return. He maintains that he is innocent of any involvement in Blee's case.

Investigators
    If you have any information concerning Blee's disappearance, please contact:
    Routt County Sheriff's Office
    Detective Rachelle Redmond
    970-879-1090
    E-Mail RRedmond@co.routt.co.us

Or
    Moffat County Sheriff Department
    Investigations:
    Sergeant K.C. Hume - E-Mail khume@sheriff.moffat.co.us

Investigator Jeremy Ashton E-Mail jashton@sheriff.moffat.co.us
    Office 970-824-4495
    Fax 970-824-9780

Agency Case Number: 79-1374
    NCIC Number: M-208753749
    Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
    Moffat County Sheriff
    The Craig Daily Press 11/22/04
    The Doe Network: Case File 219DFCO

LINK:
    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/219dfco.html

NCMEC
    Last edited by KateB; 05-18-2015 at 03:54 AM. Reason: added NCMEC link.

It sounds like Doolin knows alot more than he's saying. Why would he call and demand ransom money not knowing if she had walked in the front door as he was making the call? He must have known she wouldn't ever be walking in again ever! Do you suppose nobody has talked since...wonder where Doolin is now??

Hang down your head, Mr. Doolin...

Quote Originally Posted by crimson3
    It sounds like Doolin knows alot more than he's saying. Why would he call and demand ransom money not knowing if she had walked in the front door as he was making the call? He must have known she wouldn't ever be walking in again ever! Do you suppose nobody has talked since...wonder where Doolin is now??
    It would seem that he waited about a week before placing the call to her parents. But your point is well taken. How callous is this idiot to make such a demand? He probably did have something to do with her disappearance.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/blee_marie.html

I doubt Doolin had anything to do with Marie's disappearance -- I mean, he could have, but his demanding ransom money is not a good indication. A lot of sick, twisted opportunists take advantage of the families of missing children like that. In the Amy Billig case (http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/billig_amy.html) two sixteen-year-old boys claimed to be holding her for ransom, and it turned out they had nothing to do with it. When they were caught, they passed the whole thing off as "a joke." Well, I'm not laughing, and Amy's parents weren't either.

Ransom Hoaxes

Quote Originally Posted by meggilyweggily View Post
    ....I doubt Doolin had anything to do with Marie's disappearance -- I mean, he could have, but his demanding ransom money is not a good indication. A lot of sick, twisted opportunists take advantage of the families of missing children like that. ....
    There are a lot of examples of this sort of scam. See the Sheila and Katherine Lyon case for such examples. It is likely that the police receive hoax ransom calls on many more cases, but do not reveal it to the press.

Besides all the leads, false leads, calls of sympathy and numerous questions called in to investigators and families, these fake ransom calls take up valuable time and resources in cases which might be very time-sensitive.

Colorado 1979

It is coming up on the 30 year anniversary of Marie Ann Blee's disappearance.

30 years ago...

Marie Ann has been missing now for 30 years.

wow what a piece of garbage doolin is.
    i dont care if he's 'innocent" of her dissapearence, playing with her parents like that is sickkkkkkk

Missing 30 years

Signal 70, red truck, white truck, cow, suspect took off in the woods, Kangaroo....

Marie Blee's case has a thread in Cold Cases here:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ght=marie+blee

And her profile thread is here:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ght=marie+blee

A really good article from last year can be found here:

http://www.craigdailypress.com/news/...ver_goes_away/

And a recent one:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/coldcase...es-from-party/
    Last edited by SkewedView; 11-28-2009 at 01:52 AM. Reason: adding stuff

In Pennsylvania, but wishing she was some place else.
    Bumping for Marie..

My grandparents and father lived in Craig from 1975 to 2003. My grandparents have since passed, but I will have to ask my father if he remembers hearing anything about this case. Craig is such a small community, I don't see how they couldn't have at the time.

Anniversary articles?

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy1975 View Post
    My grandparents and father lived in Craig from 1975 to 2003. My grandparents have since passed, but I will have to ask my father if he remembers hearing anything about this case. Craig is such a small community, I don't see how they couldn't have at the time.
    You might check with local newspapers to see if there were any articles printed last November on the 30th anniversary of Marie Ann's disappearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    You might check with local newspapers to see if there were any articles printed last November on the 30th anniversary of Marie Ann's disappearance.
    Good idea!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast